• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best JTM45 in a box? comparison with the real amp

wbm68

Hello, i wanted to know if anybody has compared side by side a real original JTM45 to one of those pedals emulating the JTM45?
Or do you know about a video I could watch?

Thanks
The same amp in a box pedal will sound very different through different amps. E.g. a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe sounds quite different played through a Deluxe Reverb, a Tweed Deluxe and a Roland Jazz Chorus.
The pedal is only part of the equation. My guess (and I own the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe and several amps) is that you would get closer with e.g. a tweed amp and ANY of the "Marshall in a Box" pedals than whatever anyone tells you is "the best" Marshall in a Box pedal and e.g. a Jazz Chorus amp. The amp matters quite a bit in the chain.

sggibby

What about the Jetter 45/100?
The same amp in a box pedal will sound very different through different amps. E.g. a Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe sounds quite different played through a Deluxe Reverb, a Tweed Deluxe and a Roland Jazz Chorus.
The pedal is only part of the equation. My guess (and I own the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe and several amps) is that you would get closer with e.g. a tweed amp and ANY of the "Marshall in a Box" pedals than whatever anyone tells you is "the best" Marshall in a Box pedal and e.g. a Jazz Chorus amp. The amp matters quite a bit in the chain.

For instance, I’ll be using a Marshall JTM45 ri with either the Wampler plexi drive deluxe or Weehbo JTM drive or the Jetter gold 45/100. What I hope is that my JTM45 ri will sound as close as possible to the real JTM 45 form the 60’s.

wbm68

For instance, I’ll be using a Marshall JTM45 ri with either the Wampler plexi drive deluxe or Weehbo JTM drive or the Jetter gold 45/100. What I hope is that my JTM45 ri will sound as close as possible to the real JTM 45 form the 60’s.
Well, in that case then the next logical question would be if you have ever played an original JTM 45 from the 60's. Basically do you have a reference and would you know how close you could get? Unfortunately you can't go by recordings on albums of that amp, as there is too much other stuff going on that goes into the sound you hear off of an album.
Also, a JTM 45 will sound very different turned up compared to at lower volume. Lower volume still being very loud though. But, a JTM will (luckily) loose a lot of its' brightness / harshness once you turn it up quite a bit.
I can tell you that the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe has an awesome EQ - which ironically will allow you to shape your tone quite a bit - unlike any JTM 45 would let you do.
On a side note, if you are interested in JTM 45s, you should definitely read this article about JTM 45 shootouts: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/45_Degrees_of_Tone_The_JTM45_Roundup

DaveKS

Well if you've got a reissue I'd worry more about ANOS/NOS tubes and especially getting the speakers right. You've got the ride, you just need the right rims and fuzzy dice.

Top Bottom