1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best kept secrets

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrmuzikhead, Jan 25, 2008.

1. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Hey everyone! I'm a newer member here and quite happy about that. Lots of knowledgable players here. I'm diggin the learning experience even after 30 years of playing. Just wondering what are your favorite best kept secrets on gear. Just read the post of the guy who just scored a Peavey T60 and got me thinking what other great stuff is out there that can be had for little $$. My favorites are the Trace Elliot Velocette's and Ibanez Talman's w/Ken Armstrong lipstick PU's I'm playing here that I picked up for under $600 for both. That is ridiculously cheap for that combo! What gems would you like to let the rest of us in on??

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

They wouldn't be secrets anymore if told here on the forum...

3. Tonemasta

Tonemasta Silver Supporting Member

Hey man, welcome to the forum! You say you're happy about it now, wait 3 months when your credit cards are maxed, you can't sleep at night because you're thinking about new posts that might hit at 3am in the emporium and you're forced to join a support group in an attempt to get rid of a serious case of GAS!! Ain't it great!!!:D

Hey, regarding best kept secrets...two words.............Dave Barber! Best stomp boxes on the planet yet they are ridiculously inexpensive for the quality you get. www.barberelectronics.com!!!!!

4. Ascension

Ascension Member

The 90's Washburn USA Custom shop Guitars built in Chigago. These were truely boutique quality USA guitars and because there are so few of the USA they get not recognition and you can buy these CHEAP!
    Here is the scoop in the late 80's Washburn starts looing to put together a true USA Custom shop. Somewhere around 1991 Grover Jackso is hired on as the Chief of Opperations at the new Chigago USA custom shop. Grover brought some in from Jackson and hired a few from Hamer as Kaman had closed the Chigago hame shop and moved it arount that same time. From 91 say (officially it was Febuary 93-97) Grover was running that shop and doing the design work with a pretty solid and experianced crew.
    Right now I own 8 of these guitars and they are stunning in Tone, playability apperance, materials and overall workmanship.
    IMO the USA Custom Washburns built in the Chigago shop between 92-99 may well be the best hidden secrets in the guitar market right now.
    Here are some of mine
    Currently for sale 1994 LS 93 Silverado
    [​IMG]
    1995 MG 120
    [​IMG]
    1995 MG 122
    [​IMG]
    1994 MG 122
    [​IMG]
    1999 WM-4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1994 Prototype handbuild one off
    [​IMG]
    1994 Grover MG add
    [​IMG]

5. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

Cort TRG-2 - I scored both of mine on ebay @ around $300 apiece w/HSC.

[​IMG]

Teisco Goldfoil pups. This is the cheapest guitar I own & I can't stop playing it.

[​IMG]

SX SJM-62. I love the way it looks & sounds. It's MIC & only cost $139.

[​IMG]

Antoria guitars. Rebranded Ibanez from the 1970s. MIJ. One of my favorite guitars. It gets more playing time than my Orville. I gave it the Peter Green mod for extra joy.

[​IMG]

6. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Said it before and will say it again....Rocktron Austin Gold is the best little boost ever....gain down level up its clean and just give the slightest hint of dirt....Love it and its really cheap...Also use it normally and its a good not so compressed tubescreamer with useable eq...:AOK

7. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

+1 - The Washburn CS instruments can be a great value! There are currently a couple nice ones on eBay, although not super cheap.

8. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Those Cort Triggs are very cool I'd forgotten about them.......

9. LHanson

LHanson Member

'80s MIJ Fernandes are really nice, and really cheap. I've scored LE-2's on eBay for less than $200.

New guitars, PRS SE (Korean) line is consistently great build quality, and a little tweaking (nut, pots, switches on some models, maybe pickups) they are great bang for the buck.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

The Korean made G&L Tribute I'm selling on ebay rocks!
    Sticking with Peavey, the USA made Peavey Predator (early nineties strat style) or Peavey Reactor (early nineties tele style) is GREAT, cheap buys and scream for modding...
    Also, some buy had a line up of no less than 5 late 80's MIJ Kramer's in the Emporium and I only saw one response... they might still be for sale. They were CHEAP and ready to move.

11. byr0n

byr0n Member

the ESP X-Tone Paramount semi-hollow body...amazingly full year crisp and clear...good tone across the whole spectrum...you can get them new for around 500-600 bucks

12. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I bought one of those from the emporium. I used to use one exactly like the one I bought as my main guitar back in the early 90's. ESP made them. How could I pass up an ESP strat that reminds of some great times for $250?

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

From Kramerlover, right? Did you get it yet? How is the fit and finish, playability? Any left :rotflmao

14. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

+1 on the MIJ Kramers...along with the American Series which are usually about twice the price of the MIJ.
    [​IMG]
    MIJ on the right in the second row.
    American Series back row and the one beside the MIJ.
    1984 Patent Pending in front.

15. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

16. barkndog

barkndog Member

+1 on the USA Peaveys. Upgrade the pups and electrics and you'll have a quality gtr for the $$.

17. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

+1 USA Peavey Firenza. Any of the 3 models are absolutely killer

Mahogany- 2 'buckers AX
    Basswood - S/S/H JX
    Swamp Ash - 2 P90 Standard

My JX (basswood s/s/h) is one of my most toneful and resonant guitars... cost me under $200

Before Mods
    [​IMG]

I slapped in Dimarzio Fast Track neck pup and Mo'Joe bridge
    I did reshape the body a bit to make it sleeker and refinished in a super cool blue that changes to purple depending on the angle

After Mods
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HJ
    www.harryj.net

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member