Best Keyboard (Piano) for daughter

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Jbonnet, May 25, 2018.

1. Jbonnet

Jbonnet Member

My daughter is lookong for portable piano.
    I really like the Roland RD2000...
    Any other suggestions?

2. Stokely

Stokely Member

How portable? I've heard great things about that Roland. I don't personally like the cheaper Roland digital actions (they feel mushy) but that has the higher-end one, and a ton of pianists recommend it.

In that price range I'd also consider a (used) Kawai MP11 or possibly a Yamaha CP4 or CP5 (used). I buy used from Guitar Center, so you have a month to try out and return locally if there's an issue. I loved the MP11 I tried, but it is quite a bit heavier than many of the competitors. If "portable" means you can move it around the house, it would be fine...I wouldn't want to put it in a case and try taking it to gigs.

I'm actually looking myself, and might try to convince the wife that junior can use a used Nord Stage 2 76 note--not because it's a better option, but I'd be able to use it in my band! LOL

Another factor is speakers...for my kids, it would be handy to have the speakers on the piano for convenience (though external speakers would sound better). It limits the options quite a bit though.

3. Devnor

Devnor Member

In that price range there is also the Korg Grandstage but I prefer the Roland action and V piano sounds. That RD2000 is bad ass but heavy and not exactly portable. If piano is the focus and not so much synthesis/daw integration a Casio PX5S is very nice at half the weight and less than half the price.

4. Jbonnet

Jbonnet Member

Thanks guys...
    Actually it would only be used by my daughter in the house.. We had a Yamaha C7 grand that she used to play but we sold it last year... She has tried several keyboards but really needs one that has action like the Yamaha... The RD2000 seemed to fit the bill...
    I play guitar so keyboards are out of my element....

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

Okay, I understand. My father has 2 C7 grands and a Steinway. The closest thing I played was a Kawai VPC which is just a fancy MIDI controller. That same action is available in a stage piano.

6. GearGab

GearGab Member

The Kawai VPC (with Ravenscroft or Keyscape samplings) is quite heavy and not that portable but the hammer action is superiur to any other digital piano out there.