Best Klon Clone (KLONE) for Boost of the Following?

frails

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not opposed to buying a Klon. Hell I own a few Cornish pedals so enough said. BUT, I'm really intrigued by only one aspect of the Klon...as a boost. So having said that, I think it's worth trying to find a Klone to do the job. I've narrowed it down to these. What say you? Zink Minotaur, Illuminated OD (Soulsonic), Way Huge Pork Loin and Stigtronics Tone Vitamin. Which is the best at nailing a Klon as a boost?

Last edited:

Orbis_Ignis

You might want to give the Tone Monk Phoenix a try. I just got it today and loving it. Never had a real Klon so I can't compare but this is definitely a great boost to low gain pedal.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
You might want to give the Tone Monk Phoenix a try. I just got it today and loving it. Never had a real Klon so I can't compare but this is definitely a great boost to low gain pedal.

Is it an always on pedal? I'm looking for that boost that you can't turn off because it sounds like you suck the life out of the amp if you do.

jdel77

Dan Zink does good stuff. Personally Id go with Soulsonic. Martin helped reverse engineer the Klon, and his version has some neat variations if you want. Either one of those guys build amazing stuff.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
I just ordered the Minotaur two seconds ago. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Orbis_Ignis

Is it an always on pedal? I'm looking for that boost that you can't turn off because it sounds like you suck the life out of the amp if you do.

Yep, I would say so, but I have only just got it today so only time will tell.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned 3 KLONS and think they are terrific but just keep selling them because $700 is a lot to tie up in a boost, I have a tone monk phoenix on the way and will give you my thoughts in a few days.

DJ_61

Gold Supporting Member

The Phoenix does exactly that. When i switch it of I sound like something is wrong, although I loved my tone before I had the Phoenix....

romo

Silver Supporting Member

Hmm...sounds like you should probably try a different amp.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm...sounds like you should probably try a different amp.

Bro I'm running two classic amps in collector's grade condition. A 71' Hiwatt DR504 and a 65' Fender Bandmaster. You would have to hear the pedal I once had that gave me exactly this. It wasn't rocket science, just a four stage JFET boost that raised the floor up two notches. I know there's got to be another boost that can do it. Hoping the Minotaur is it.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
It was a custom built pedal by a guy here in Phoenix. The thing was AWESOME but the lowest setting was too high of a starting point. Needed to be half of the value it was I'd say. It was the prototype and as he's an amp builder, it's just a hobby for him to do pedals. He may or may not get around to building another and I don't want to wait. I gave it to a friend to try out and he loves it just as much. I liked it enough to gas for another pedal that gives me the same always on boost. If most boosts are a 20db gain, I'd say this one was 40db with a starting point of 10db. But it was just the cleanest boost that generated a 3-D presence from your 2-D sounding rig. Its not that the 2-D rig was bad as much as it was like WHOA when you turned on the pedal.

Like I said the design was a 4 stage JFET design. I think it is the extra stage that makes it what it is.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Please do.

In light of recent days, I had to look inside immediately upon arrival.

Also, while I have owned a few, I don't have a Klon in my possession - so in fairness to both, I'm going to do my best with what I have so far and emphasize - IMO. Thanks.

By physical comparison, I would say the Klon appeared to have a more hardy build. Part of this is of course due to perception of simply holding one of those large metal boxes that they are housed in. The other part is the choice of using smaller pots and what LOOKS like lighter gauge wire (if anyone knows this for sure, please speak up) inside the Phoenix. The inside of the phoenix does not look like the inside of the rat poop boxes that are in current controversy. :hide2

So far, I have only used it at home (just arrived yesterday). I messed around through the clean and dirty channels of two different amps and tried running it before and after other dirt boxes. I tried to keep it a unity volume to listen for sound coloring, etc. While I was at home, I had both amps (one 35 watt, one 50 watt) at mid volume.

HOME play impression - somebody told me on another post the mids in the Klon are more focused in the low end and the Phoenix in towards the highs - I think that is an accurate statement. I also think the upper end of the OD knob on the Phoenix is more usable, where I never really cared for the OD on the KLON past noon (not bashing, not saying better, just different), of course I never wanted to use the KLON OD past 11 anyway, so apples/oranges.

Phoenix gives a pleasant sense of fattening to the overall tone. Smoothed out my amp OD (in both amps) in a very pleasant way (IMO). Plays nicely with other pedals and seems a little more transparent, where (to me) the KLON makes it's presence known - again, not bad or good, just different.

I have a Cornish NB3 (100% uncolored clean boost) and I A/B'd the two to try and see if the more better effect was simply more volume - to certain extent, yes more volume sounds better feels more dynamic, however, you can do some eq adjusting and "smoothing" with the Phoenix that a straight up clean boost can not do.

So... for the home playing side of things, I think it fills a similar spot for a lot less money. Do I think it's a 100% replica of the Klon? "No," I don't. Do I think it's a more affordable way to get a similar KLON feel going at HOME volume? "Yes," I do.

I'm playing an outdoor event next weekend that is in a big valley, so we will be getting loud :drool . My pedal board drives for that will be as follows... BJFE PPF (this pedal fricken rocks - can do OD, Distortion and Fuzz), Providence SOV 2 (new pedal arriving this week, so good time to try), and the Phoenix. I'll be sure to post thoughts about how the Phoenix holds up in that scenario which is where the Klon would REALLY shine. Also, the SOV2 claims to be able to do a similar thing, I'll let you know about that too.

Again, I am not trying to endorse or recommend anything and I am really just trying to present my own very early experience of the pedal.

frails

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you or the review. Very helpful. Now, if you ever want to sell that Cornish boost, please let me know.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you or the review. Very helpful. Now, if you ever want to sell that Cornish boost, please let me know.

I picked that up used on TGP and had no idea if I would keep it, I mean, how impressive can a clean boost be anyway... I was very pleasantly surprised and would really miss it if it left my possession.

Also, another day on the Phoenix at home, but I am genuinely impressed with how well it does what it does at home volume.

Last edited:

frails

Gold Supporting Member
The Minotaur arrived today and it's exceeded my expectations. It does what I wanted it to do in terms of the always on clean boost with boosted dynamics, but it's exceeded my expectations on the OD setting. I'm a fuzz guy, always have been, always will be. But this is the first OD pedal I have played that isn't leaving me frustrated and wanting more dirt. A great little pedal for sure. I have the gain at 2 o'clock and it's just a really sweet tone. Haven't played a real Klon so I can't compare. But that aside, I get it. I get the Klon hype now. Because this is a unique, sweet tone I haven't experienced.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
Update - I'm eating my words on the post I just removed... Just got done playing a silver Klon right next to the Phoenix at rehearsal volume with the amp in clean and od channel. Side by side there is a very subtle difference in fullness of the boost with the Klon, but the Phoenix is REALLY close. I would bet that very few people would be able to tell the difference in a blind listen. If cost was no issue I'd want the Klon for coolness factor but the Phoenix can hold it's head high IMO. Anyone know if you can run it at higher voltage?

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom