Best, Least Expensive Tweed Twin and Tweed Deluxe Kits?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Looking to build a Tweed Twin or Tweed Deluxe...what are the options for good kits? Is it better to part everything out myself??

2. bigroy

bigroy Member

I'm interested as well. I need a project for the rest of the winter!

3. rooster

rooster Member

If you've never built an amp before, I believe you'd be best off starting small with something like a kit along the lines of the ones developed by Chris Hurley at the AX84 site. If you have built amps before, or at least done EXTENSIVE amp work, you could buy a kit, probably one of Bruce Collins' from Mission Amps. He's the "king o' tweeds," and uses good parts at a very reasonable price. Layout, soldering, and attention to detail are the most important things.

rooster.

4. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

cieratone probably makes the cheapest kit out there for a tweed deluxe, i think you have to source a cabinet separatly, but i've heard nothing but good things about cieratone. and i believe bruce collins at mission amps has one of the best kits out there, i've heard some mixed things abot the weber kits.
    hope this helps.

5. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

What have you heard about the Weber kits? I've been planning on buying one.

6. AlexF

AlexF Member

I vote Ceriatone too, amazing quality for a low price
    Al

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

yup this is what i've heard, sometimes you get the wrong parts or not enough parts, they do not sound like they're for the beginer, good luck!

8. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

According to the CeriaTone website the location is "Southeast Asia" and transport shipping cost to USA is approximately 50 dollars for five pound package , 100 dollars for a ten pound package in addition to the cost of an amp kit.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

How about Tweed Twins- Any good experiences out there?

Also, with the Tweed Deluxes- have you guys priced out boards and components and chassis, etc. and compared to the price of a kit?

I am pretty experienced in repairing tube amps, building is my next long term thing.

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I just finished a Mission Amps tweed Deluxe clone. Most excellent experience! It comes with a schematic and a layout. Also Bruce at Mission Amps has a website with lots of detailed pictures of a build through the various stages, and is excellent at answering any questions. If you have the skill set to build one of these, you really shouldn't need step by step instructions. The finished product from Mission Amps is top flight. All the parts are the best quality. If you are going to sink the time into building one right, you may as well have parts that will last as well. Bruce hasn't missed a thing. On top of the standard kit (Mallory coupling caps, Sprague Atom electrolytics, Alpha pots, switchcraft jacks, Carling switches, etc) I upgraded to carbon comp resistors for $10. While I was building it I scored a Celestion Blue of ebay. I got the cabinet through Bruce as well. Pine, finger-jointed, light laquer, true to the original. The finished product was not just a fun couple of weeks, it is now my number one amp! It was more expensive than the weber kit, but worth it. By the time you upgrade all the parts in the Weber kit to the same quality as the Mission, the Mission is cheaper, and remember I put a pretty expensive speaker in mine. You get an entry level speaker with most complete kits unless you upgrade - and the speaker is VERY important to the percieved quality and tone of the finished product. I am mentioning Bruces stuff anywhere I can, because I can't say enough about what a pleasure it was to deal with him, and the finished product is superb.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I would like to cast a vote for STF www.stf-electronics.com I did their Champ and besides the fact that he's helpful and responsive, I got tons of great info about the Champ and its design as well as very detailed step by step on how to build the amp.

12. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've just recently finished a Weber 5E3 kit, it came out great! But as others have posted:

1. Some of the parts in the kit are pretty flimsy, I recommend replacing with uopgrades, i.e. the switches and jacks and tubes. But the chassis and transformers, sockets, board and cabinet are just fine. The replacement parts are inexpensive and it's worth it to buy the kit from Weber and replace those parts that need to be upgraded.
    2. There are NO instructions, you can download a schematic and layout, and you work from them. This is fine for me, but if this is a first build I don't suggest it. You will have innumberable questions, and asking each and evryne of them on the board is NOTa good idea. You will drive the others crazy there with too many simple questions, and people will stop offering to help you. The experience is likely to be a bad one for you, as you get frustrated with it.
    3. I'd like to say that the bbs is better for more experienced builders that just have a few questions here and there, but that isn't the case either. It seems most people who hang out there aren't very knowledgeable; there are better boards to ask questions on. i.e. Ampage, the 5E3 bbs, 18watt.com, the JTM45 user's group, etc.
    4. Getting a Ceriatone kit is not really building an amp. You'll get an assembled chassis and then you'll have to get a cab & speakers somewhere, then put that together. Nothing wrong with that. But if you want to build one that doesn't seem like building one to me.

I agree with what rooster posted above. If you're new to building, and you don't have a friend you can go to with all your questions, don't go with a Weber kit. Go with an AX84 kit (not Deluxe or Twin), or if you want a 5E3 go with Mission Amps kit, so you can get some instructions with the kit, and you can go directly to Bruce if you have specific questions. Also, if you can't get the amp to work right, he will get it going for you for a fee. Plus the parts are good and don't need to be upgraded.

13. Shea

Shea Member

Does anyone make a kit for that? For mine, I made a list of all the parts I would need and got them from a few different sources. Clark Amps was the main supplier. Aiken was another (when he used to sell parts), and the chassis and circuit card were from Weber.

Shea

14. hasserl

hasserl Member

Weber does, both a Low Power Twin kit and a High Power Twin kit.

15. johnny b

johnny b Member

mojotone maybe?

If you want a complete amp built for you, look for sligo amplification on the net or in ebay auctions, good feedback, he makes some deluxe's for about $700 assembled, hard to beat. No affiliation and I don't own one, but was thinking about pulling the trigger at those prices.

16. analogiswarmer

analogiswarmer Member

I purchased the stf superchamp and it has been a huge mistake for a
    first time builder, wrong parts, no parts, no layout and he used the
    regular champ instructions and stuck in comments that totally messed
    me up. Anyways anybody happen to have built one of these and still have
    layout?