Best Les Paul Jr Clone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gi doc, Sep 13, 2006.

1. gi doc

gi doc Member

I've been thinking about buying a VOS Gibson Les Paul Jr. with a single P-90 and either a single or double cutaway. Are there any good/"better" clones out there?? I've heard Collings is putting one out shortly, but it has 2 P-90's (Lollars). I've always heard the single pu ones sound better than the double pu ones.......more sustain and more punch???

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

while i wouldnt call it a clone. the koll jr. is an amazing guitar

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Hamer makes an awesome double cut Junior clone. I bought one with two P-90's, a special, and swapped out the pickups for Lollars. I'm happy with the choice. The thing about buying Gibson is that you probably don't have to swap pickups. The thing about buying Hamer is that while you've got to swap pickups, you probably get a better guitar. I know that mine is incredible.:AOK

Good luck!

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't own one but the Heritage H137 (?) looks real nice and I think it goes for just $1,400.00 new.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Second on the hamer special p90 being a better guitar than the gibson. My only problem is that I can't adjust to the short scale... I'm fine jammin' in E, but in A or C, I tend to spend alot of time above the 15th fret, and I trip over my kielbasa like fingers up there on a gibson scale neck. I'm a 25.5 man...:( But seriously, they are a step above and I love the custom pickups. You have to treat them like dynamite in those old cowboy movies. You know, where you're trying to get the dynamite over the mountain to save the school marm and the kids, but those sticks are sweating, and the slightest jolt will send you straight to them pearly gates, and the ol' mule is stubborn and seems to have a death wish...

You need to use the tone AND volume controls! And like spinal tap, you can always take it higher when you need that extra boost... And not just on the volume knob, but on the tone too. I typically use mine at volume around 7 or 8 and tone at about 7 and nail Mountain, George Thorogood, and Muddy Waters tones. As you can see, when you need to, you have significant crankage room left.:dude What I'm getting at is I see no reason to change the pickups, but then again, that is one of the fun things to do with electrics.

6. gi doc

gi doc Member

I've heard some people are putting Lollars in there VOS Gibson's with good/better results. It seems like Koll and Hamer are the main competiton here........not to mention Collings when that model is released (should be within the month so I hear). Has anyone here every A/B'd any of these against each other to compare the differences??......probably couldn't go wrong with any of the above models!

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I don't know, I think Duncans are great pups.
    Greg

8. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Huber now has one and don't forget Thorn and Heatley.

9. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

The Hamer and the Koll Jr Glide are both fine guitars. As much as I like the Hamer, Saul builds an incredible jr. Tone for days.

10. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

My Heritage H137 does a great Jr thing on the bridge pickup unlike most Jr knockoffs.

11. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

+1
    Saul Koll has a stash of killer mahogany, and nailed the vintage Jr tone & feel I was looking for.

12. alnico2

alnico2 Member

I find the Duncans in the Hamer Special P90 a little harsh. Would love to get some Lollars or Fralins someday. Used Hamers are great bang for the buck -- still have three of the six I've bought over the years.

13. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I love my Hamer and have no desire to swap out the stock P-90. Mine has the thinner headstock and vintage-style tuners.

14. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

+1 for the Heritage H-137.

15. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Can't find the H-137 on the Heritage web page.

New model or old?

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Maybe 8 years ago I had a Hamer double cut w/ 2x P90's. It was a decent guitar, but it definitely did not have a LP Junior/ Special vibe, IMHO.

It had a tune-a-matic bridge and a stud tailpiece. The P-90's were OK, but nothing to write home about. I changed them out for Antiquities, and it helped a little.

I think the stop bar tailpiece in a real LP Junior is where a lot of the 'magic' lives in those insturments. Without it, I thought my Hamer was an average guitar.

I know this goes against the grain of some of my friends who play Hamers. Hamer does make some great guitars - I've played many I love. Still, for my money, the Hamer double cut Junior/ Special doesn't come close to a real one, either a Junior or a Special. (BTW, I own a '56 LP Special, a '56 LP Junior, and a '60 LP Junior. I was hoping to worry less about taking those guitars to a gig by using the Hamer as a sub, but the Hamer just didn't cut it.)

IMHO, you gotta have the Stopbar tailpiece to get that last couple percentage points that 'define' LP Juniors and Specials.

YMMV, Dana O.

17. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

It's new. Check out www.wolfeguitars.com. Go to the inventory page and post pics of the H137's in stock. They also have a toll free number to call.

-Yannick

18. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Don't wanna be trendy, but after 3 years with my H-157, my next guitar is going to be an H-137,
    with lollers standard,and Heritage quality and price, whats not too like?

19. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

I have a wonderful mid-80s Burny (MIJ) LP Jr. Solid mahogany, nice TV Yellow lacquer finish. I replaced the tuners (TonePro 3-on-a-strip Klusons)and pickup (Vintage Vibe P90) and now have a guitar that I'd stack up against the Gibson CS could turn out.

20. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Had one of these for a while. Stupidly let it go. I regretted it almost the minute it walked out the door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]