Best Les Paul Option under 2k?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by No_Stairway, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

I bought a brand new 2017 Les Paul Classic for $1579 in Sept. 2017. If I did that, you can too. Call around, haggle, rawk ...

No_Stairway likes this.
  2. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+ 1000 on this. I also have a '92 Studio and it is amazing. I got it for $550 - one of the pickups was busted. I put about another $400 into it... new pickups, emerson 50's wiring kit, Faber Hybrid bridge... plays and sounds like a $3K + Les Paul.

3. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

There's a wine red one on Ebay right now with an ebony neck that looks sweet! It's 6 at no reserve.

4. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

used PRS Single Cuts with 57/08s go for way below 2k.
    the other specs (tailpiece, tuners, finish) are not mission critical, they are all fantastic.
    typically around 8 lbs, most are not weight relieved.
    super comfortable medium neck (called wide/fat or pattern, almost identical), Gibson scale, most have jumbos.
    play one before spending your cash elsewhere, you might be spoilt for life ...
    mind you, some of them have the pots reversed - 15 mins and a single solder joint to get back to sanity.

another worthy option would be an MIJ Tokai, the model numbers are tricky to interpret (changing with year & Yen price), better ignore them (or do some detailed research, the identical model will go by various designations over the years).
    just make sure it's nitro, and you'll have a winner (i.e. high class model).
    any of these will be a great player's guitar, the top models mostly adding some historic bling, for those who need that.
    with Tokais you'll have to factor in a set of good PAFs - the original PUs are decent at best.
    this should be seen as a chance, not as an issue ...

both options will play in the CS league, easily.
    the abovementioned specs are meant to be taken literally, they rule out quite a few similar but less relevant models.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

5. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

My #1 is a 2014 Standard that cost 2k. I do own one custom shop LP by the way.

Trads and classics are easy to find under 2k.

6. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

...speaking from the standpoint of a OLD Gibson guy that's been a Fender/mostly Tele. fella for the past 35 years or so, every great once in awhile I find myself picking up a Gibson to just rekindle some memories,...

...be it a ES or a LP, and last year I took a '11 Joe Bonamassa Studio in on a trade...BUT, after I took it in with full intent to flip...that was Memorial day of '18, and were now half way thru January '19, and the Son of a gun is still here in my Music room!!!,...

...why you ask?,...because it is without a doubt the best playin', best sounding LP I've ever had my hands based on at what they're valued at ($1300.-$1400.), and I figure I DON'T have a LP with a 'piece of furniture' top, and the B/S's/Neck is painted Black and not stained very purdy,...

...but what I DO have is a Lester that sounds like a Lester should, has a neck that has a REAL vintage '50s 'feel',...and therefore I'm good. Gibson made 600 of these in '11 and another 600 for '12, and like others have posted on the various Studio models out there, don't count them short just because of cosmetics, there's a lot of Gems out there lurking in them racks. Tom

7. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

At the store where I worked, we were very impressed with every Tribute that we got, even more than many of the Studios, Standards, Classics, and Traditionals we had. They all seemed to vary more than the Tributes for some reason. They've crept up in price from when they first came out (they're now $1149 new, I think) but you should be able to find a clean used one for less than a grand.

8. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Yamaha Revstar RSP20CR. Japanese built, maple cap, mahogany body and neck, fat neck, jumbo frets, great pickups, Tonepros bridge, anodised pickguard, within budget. Be different!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 7:55 AM
  9. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Heritage. No question.

cycler likes this.
  10. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

Without knowing more about preferences I agree with this.

My stock answer is to buy a used Les Paul tribute model. I think they sound, feel and play great, they’re cheap and the headstock says Gibson (although the OP says he doesn’t care). I own an R9 and R0 and the tribute has that same kind of tone

11. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Studios are great guitars. My ‘01 Studio Plus holds its own with my two R8’s after a pickup swap.

12. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Used traditional pro for me. Not to be confused with traditional.

13. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Member

Trad Pro's rip. Plus have coil tapping!

amstrtatnut likes this.
  14. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

How was gibson quality in the 1992 models? Its my birth year and i thought if i ever get a gibson i might get that year? Budget around the same as OP said.
    Are there any particular 92 models that stand out?

15. gtrplyr1

gtrplyr1 Member

Tribute model 2017 or newer. I bought 2 one with buckers, one with p90's. I only paid $1550 for the pair brand new. I have since sold my two r8's. Mind you I am now retired and don't have the need to impress anybody with my guitar collection.

16. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

Ready...Set..
    Round One,
    FIGHT
    :fisticuffs

Bossanova likes this.
  17. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Do tell. That's a funny joke.o_O

cutaway likes this.
  18. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Greco with nitro on it. I dislike nitro but it is loved around here. DBZ, Dean Zinlinsky, and ESP LTD Dulex. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Those Dean headstocks are just.....ugh.