Best Les Paul Under $500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GeLoFi, Aug 29, 2008.

1. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

What's the bang for my buck for a Les Paul style guitar under $500? There are tons of options out there, are Epiphones any good (I've never owned one)? What other brands should I consider.

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

You might be able to pick up an import Reverend for that price. I'd look at some used guitars. A beater Gibson LP Studio can probably be found if you look hard enough.

3. Noah

Noah Member

Man, this question gets asked at least once a month! I'd try to find a used Agile with the "lawsuit" headstock. I've owned three now and they are cheap, but great playing guitars.

4. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I picked up a '92 Studio for $525, it's a great guitar. This era also came with a nice ebony fretboard.

[​IMG]

5. jrm

jrm Member

try to find a used Studio Vintage Mahogany!

6. Peeb

Peeb Member

I'm personally not seeing any Gibby studios for $500. Just me?

7. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I haven't seen a studio for bills for a few years, but if you're patient, it's possibleyou might find a "player". If nothing else, you might have saved up a few more dollars by then.

Tony

8. captainchair

captainchair Member

His original question was under 500 dollars and in that case I've heard that some of the imports are the way to go, check ebay for used Greco/Tokai/Edwards and I even go as far to say that some of the Epiphones are pretty nice (my main axe is one lol :worried). And if its double cut you seek I hear the import Hamer Sunburst is a pretty good guitar for the money as well. This is all speaking under $500 that is and as some up there have mentioned you could get an actual gibson for a few hundred.

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Best Les Paul Under $500 is the '56 Goldtop you find at some old woman's garage sale.:D

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Most likely your best bet in that price range.

11. novawind

novawind Member

And in this fantastic dream, I'm also married to Cameron Diaz right?? :D

As to the OP, Epiphones are bang or bust on quality. Korean ones in general are good, Chinese ones are less-so. Always exceptions too. For a consistant, decent playing LP I'd suggest what others have said- check for a Tokai or Edwards or even a Hamer import if possible.

12. webe123

webe123 Member

Have you looked on ebay lately? They are not going for that cheap!

Maybe it might show up on there that cheap if lightning strikes, but it would be as rare. And the problem for something that says Gibson les paul studio on it, would be it would go up near the end of the auction...even IF it was that cheap during the auction.....it sure would not be at the end!

His best bet is to go with tokai, or some of the others that are made outside the US.

13. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Looks very nice! Do you know if they made Ebony fretboards on '93s too?

14. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

See if you can get an Epiphone Elitist for that price, used. If not, look for the 70's/80's Ibanez AR-50. Both are on par with any Les Paul.

Jack

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    My Main gigging guitar is an Ep[ Les Paul Custom with 3 pups, I had a Pro setup done on it, and installed 3 Peter Florance 59 Voodoo pups, The same pickups Mark Ford used in the Black Crows on his real 59 LP.

Its a killer guitar and the sound is that 59 PAF vintage sound.

The key is a pro set up and intonation. I think I paid $450 for the Guitar new and another $100 to get the set up. Later when I was ready I paid $450 for the 3 pups (theres a pair in the emporium now for $220)

A lot of people go this route. The Custom and the Elitist Epiphones come with Gibson USA Alnico Pick ups and after the set ups play very well.

Below I've got an Epi LPCustom SG for sale in the emporium

16. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Those MIK flametop Dean EVO's have a chunky Les Paul-ish sound and can be found really cheap. I've seen them used for under 2 bills, which leaves you with some extra $$ for a setup and better pickups.

17. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Yea, the goal here is to find the best les paul "style" guitar, doesn't have to be gibson. Thanks for the advice so far, I will look into some of these options

18. frank62

frank62 Member

Epi is the only guitar that is a Les Paul besides the Gibson. Go thru a few and you will find a good one. I have been using one for the last several years. Used with case all the time around 300. Nothing better at that price.

19. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I had this Epi LP for about a year, it was my first LP and was a very nice axe. It was MIC, and was very high quality. I eventually sold it and got a Gibson LP Standard. The EPi's a very respectable instruments to be sure.

[​IMG]

20. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Grabbed this on the 'bay for <$350, w/case+shipping...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vintage brand Icon series.

Arrived with horrid setup, and acoustic strings (from a pawnshop in Toronto, no less.)
    Weight's nice, great neck. Shown after set-up, and a set of Alnico IIs ,
    Got a set of Sheps on the way-great Les tone...