Best Leslie?: DLS RotoSIM, Option 5 Destination Rotation Single and Boss RT-20

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jbp, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey folks-

I'm looking far and wide for a great Leslie simulator (not a Univibe clone). These are the 3 I'm considering, but I don't have experience with any of them. I've tried the H&K RotoSphere and didn't care for it all that much. I want an authentic rotating speaker sound that will do well with clean, dirty and all points in between.

Opinions or other recommendations?

Thanks everyone-
    J.B.

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

In my opinion the RT-20 beats out all of them (except in the area of overdrive, but I always use a different pedal).

Here is a link to an old discussion as well as some soundclips in mono of the RT-20. The Option 5 Single sounds good fast for a Vibratone sound, not a Leslie-if that even makes a difference for you. Good luck on your search, the Leslie sound is very difficult to emulate. It about drove me me nuts!

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=123967

3. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I've used a Fender Leslie for many many years, it's finally retired to the studio now. The RT-20 replaced it. Many more will reply that the others RULE and the RT SUCKS, but I have the real thing and it is dang close and has very useful knobs to dial it in.

4. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Option 5 DR Single

Awesome pedal...perfect size for pedalboard use, runs on 9V power, ramp up/down with speed fine tuning, built-in overdrive, sounds as close to the real thing as you're gonna find in a pedal. Currently being used on tour by Joe Walsh, Johnny Hiland, Joe Bonamassa etc. All the others mentioned do a really good job as well, but my honest opinion is that the DR Single sounds even better...sound is a very subjective thing, so use your own ears to decide for yourself.

5. iualum

iualum Member

...both the DLS & Boss are really excellent units (I prefer the RotoSim)...shoot, the RotoMachine is tremendous at its price point...

6. lukeII

lukeII Member

+1 on the rotosim, i prefer it over the boss as well, thicker sounding and true bypass. I also tried the single rotation before I bought the DLS. The single rotation is like a leslie 16 or vibratone the Rotosim is like a 147. I liked the sound of the Rotosim better.

7. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

I really like my rotosim. I've tweeked the internal pots, not sure if thats available on any of the other units. Very neat using the stereo function.

rey

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I couldn't get into the RotoSim. I tried...but it just wasn't doing it for me. I played with all settings, after that tweaked the internal pots, played more, just never bonded...it never gave me what I wanted.

The RT-20, I couldn't stand. I would pick the RotoSim over that any day. Besides looking like a Kmart 70's disco toy with the lightshow, the OD on it is absolutely terrible, bad enough you gotta wonder why they didn't scrap it...the leslie and other to me sound way too processed.

When I bought mine (had it a few days and played it a lot, then returned it) I had it side by side with a combination of H2O chorus, and Mojo vibe.

I know you aren't looking for a vibe, but to my ears the combination of that chorus and that vibe sounded to me like it did the SAME sounds as the RT-20, but much more natural sounding...much warmer and rounder, and more...yes..."organic".

The H2O has dual outs, and when fed by the Mojo, and using stereo, sounds out of this world.

9. iualum

iualum Member

...although I disagree with your tone assessments, I 100% agree with your "disco toy lightshow" comment...what were they thinkin'??? :jo , LOL!...

10. Sandro

Sandro Member

The Arion SCH-1 is one of the best leslie simulator used by Landau, Henderson and many others, small foot print but need to be in a true bypass box, I just receved the AM Chorus and it get close to the SCH-1, my 0.02.

Sandro

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

RT20 - I LIKE the light show, but HATE the sound. Have one in the closet. It's a digital approximation of a Leslie, and it sounds like it.

Whirligig - Love mine - it's the non pedal board gig Leslie sim for me. Unfortunately it's not being made anymore.

Option 5 DR Single - totally agree with lifeinsong's post above. The DR is on my board to stay. So many positive comments at every gig. One of my bandmates has a real 120 and the DR Single sounds as close to it as I've heard in a pedal.

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

So did Joe Bonamassa replace the Korg?

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

RT20

Great pedal...I only play clean leslie tones, but have heard that a Barber OD after the RT20 works nicely.

S.
    j

14. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I'll chime in here even though my experience is limited.

I loved my H&K Mk II if it was in the loop of an amp. If there's no loop, it's just not right.

If the sound difference between the Option 5 and the others is small, the Option 5 Single seems like a no brainer. It's compact, runs at 9volts from any source, quiet, and sounds very good with a drive pedal in front of it or clean.

Just for convenience sake the Option 5 Single takes it for gigging situations IMHO!

15. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

I know, I know....I said no Univibes. But I've heard too many good things about this box.

So....which of the following can sound swampier, thicker, richer, etc.? I know we're comparing apples to oranges, but I'm curious which is the most organic:

- Option 5 Destination Rotation Single (new version)
    - Retroman Ubervibe
    - DLS Rotosim

16. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

IMO, Rotosphere is the "one" for pedal.

And this pedal a close second, specially for it's price and size

[​IMG]

17. bilbal

bilbal Member

Give Dino's Guitars Bubble Box a look/see if you're looking for a good Leslie sim.
    I like it a lot and I have had all the ones you listed.

18. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

This is a PERFECT comparison. I have the DLS and can't imagine not having individual control of bass and tweeter speeds and TB. To each his own, but the DLS is the winner for me.

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

falcopryor likes this.
  20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I ended up with the Option 5 Single but agree that is more of a Fender Vibratone sound as compared to a Leslie with a speaker and a horn.
    Plus with my pedalboard real estate being at such a premium, the small footprint is a HUGE plus.:banana