Best level, crown, & set-up in SF Bay Area?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brandass, Feb 1, 2015.

1. brandass

brandass Member

I do all my own work normally, but a recent purchase needs some extra attention and could benefit from a pro. Might go PLEK if the price is right too, haven't gone that route before and I'm curious to see if it makes a difference. Advice? Thanks in advance!

2. geodr

geodr Member

Gary Brawer in SF is a very good shop and has a PLEK machine - I had a guitar plek'd by them a few years ago and it came out great. Maybe go to them and see what they recommend...

3. brandass

brandass Member

Thanks, will check them out

4. kbgear

kbgear Member

I've had an LP (new) and a Strat ('94) set up by SF Guitarworks, and I was impressed with their communication and their work. They have a PLEK as well. Gary Brawer is obviously a legend, but their storefront (Real Guitars) and shop interior isn't doing them many favors, IMHO. But then again, it probably keeps the hipsters out. ;)

5. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

I've definitely seen some hipsters in there! Myself included ;)

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I love the Real Guitars shop. I have gotten some GREAT amps there. Best of all, they are super easy going and easy to deal with. I have had Gary's shop repair broken headstocks, install SS frets, Pleks, setups.. Always superb. My preferred shop

7. kbgear

kbgear Member

:) Good to know. They have/had a Guild Thunderbird amp that has sentimental value for me, but hard to justify...

8. 335guy

335guy Member

Last I checked, a plek'ed fret job ( level, crown, polish ) at SF Guitarworks was $235. I would assume Brawer's shop would be the same $$. I would have asked but they don't reply to e-mail.

There's a guy in the east bay who did a very good job for me recently ( and he did work at both of those shops at one time ). He charged $200. All of them seem a bit high but I guess if you want the best, you have to pay for it.

9. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Who's the guy in the East Bay, if you don't mind my asking? I need to get some fret work done on one of my nicer guitars and I'm looking for someone good. I'd prefer not to have to BART all the way into SF. :)

10. brandass

brandass Member

Thanks for the leads!

East Bay name would be great, willing to do SF for the right fit but if there's someone equally good nearby that'd be easier.

11. 335guy

335guy Member

The guy's name is Rob Brown. His shop is called Axis Guitars and he's in Oakland at a music rehearsal studio complex called Oakland Music Complex.

https://www.facebook.com/churchofthesixstrings/timeline

I had him do level, crown, polish and setup of two Fenders, plus some other work. I found him to be easy to work with, very knowledgeable, meticulous in his work. I don't know if anyone could have done a better job than Rob.

Here's some reviews of his work by previous customers.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/axis-guitars-oakland

12. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

Don't know but I know a guy who does a great root canal, cap and crown in SF.

13. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Thanks, dude! I'll definitely be giving Rob a call.

14. geodr

geodr Member

Rob did good work for me, but does not have a plek machine. (You may not need it.)