Best LITE WEIGHT Blues Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by khud, Nov 24, 2005.

1. khud

khud Member

Ok folks ... Im looking for the BEST, light weight (under 30 pounds) BLUES amp I can find to haul around to Blues Jams with me, without breaking my back.

Recommendations?

And ... Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone! :dude

Thanks!

Kevin

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. m1911

m1911 Member

I think a MAZ Junior 1x12 Combo is worth the extra weight (47lbs)....but since you specified "LITE WEIGHT"....and used the term "BEST" (I have to assume price is no object).....the winner is:
    http://swartamps.com/swart_atomic_tone.htm
    The one I heard sounded damn nice!....in a small package too.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

actually, the maz combo's pretty heavy for me.

IMHO, i'd rather get a nice Carmen Ghia head. killer semi dirty tones that're loud enough for most any groups.

couple that w/ a nice pine sided 1x12 w/ a Jensen Neo, and you'll be rockin' without ever breaking a sweat to the club door.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Of all the 1X12 combo's I've played, only one 1X12 amp DIDN'T sound boxy to me....the Tone King Meteor. The Tone King cabs are special.

Even though it sounds a little boxy, the tweed Fender Blues Jr. with the Jensen 12" alnico speaker sounds decent.

The ultimate lightweight amp I've played though would be the Crate Power Block. At 5lbs. & 75 watts/channel, it's an excellent bang for the buck amp with the right cab. No, it won't blow a good tube amp out of the water but it sounds respectable.

The best/smallest no compromise amp I've played though is the Clark Tyger. It's a 3X10 amp which probably gets it into the medium size catagory but it lacks the typical boxiness of a 1X12 and is easier to haul around than a 2X12. Tweed blues tone at its finest IMO.

In my experience, there's typically a compromise with small amps (mainly in fullness of tone and clean headroom)....so it all depends on how much compromise you can tolerate.

6. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Top Hat Club Deluxe 1x12. If price is an issue the Pro Jr. is pretty cool.

7. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Victoria 1x12 Deluxe!

8. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Although I've never tried one and can't personally vouch for it, I like the looks, features and price of the Allen Hot Fudge With Nuts. It's lightweight and can be used with 6v6, 6L6 or EL34 output tubes. And it's got that brown face style trem going on. I'm kind of gassing for it.
    :eek:

9. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

This one is a no brainer..a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe!!!

10. stephenT

stephenT Silver Supporting Member

Goodsell Clairmont Super 17 (1-12)

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Check out Louis............great stuff.

I had a VHT Pitbull 30 that was really lightwieght and KICKED ass with good reverb!

12. mkg

mkg Member

Been gigging with mine for about eight months now, mic'ed for large venues, unmic'ed for small. With 6L6s it's putting out about 35 watts, so it's really a cross between the brown Deluxe and the brown Vibrolux. And yep, the trem is very sweet.
    :cool:

soundclips

13. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I use a real '65 deluxe Reverb. It weighs in at 30 lbs. and set up with JJ 6V6s tubes. I do small gigs with it and use an original TS9 for drive and sustain. 335 tone to die for.

14. tuna

tuna Member

Carr Rambler or Marshall HW 1974X, both lightweight

15. bigmike

bigmike Member

vht pitbull 30 got one and love it

16. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

super champ or a boogie subway blues, pound for pound a couple of the best made in my opinion, both excel at blues tones

17. kram21

kram21 Member

KJL dirty 30 head[6l6 based tubes] with a KJL clubowner cab with both a 12 and a 10inch speaker.This cab is very compact.This amp is great for blues and takes pedals better than any amp I've use and unfortunately there have been many amps that i have audtioned

18. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Aiken Intruder (probably right at the limit) for Marshallesque sounds, Fender Deluxe Reverb. Both great sounding, reliable amps.

19. mr P90

mr P90 Guest

If you don't need something brand new -- look on ebay for a Lectrolab 1x15", 1X12" combo.
    You can get them for 200-250 bucks or so - on Ebay, etc...
    Take it to a GOOD tech and have caps checked, gone through,etc...cost you maybe 100 - 150 bucks.
    Older Lectrolabs are 'tweedy' in appearance -- by the mid 60's they had black Tolex.
    Lectrolabs had very light cabinets -- some almost 'balsa wood' light -- probably to save money and cut corners.
    But they have Jensen speakers and can be real old style blues amp tube screamers.
    I've got 3 Lectrolabs and they just do not give me electrical problems -- at all.
    No reverb, no channel switching, not even seperate bass and treble -- just 'tone'.
    Plug into the mic channel, crank up your guitar -- and you got a nice blues amp.
    My Lectrolabs have El84'sor 6v6's and are about as loud as a Fender Deluxe.
    The 15" model has a tweeter -- just disconnect it and use the P15Q Jensen - it's louder too, more like a Tremolux in volume...
    There are a lot of great tube amps -- but Lectrolab really have the light, easy to carry thing nailed -- really featherweight for the amount of tone and volume you get.
    Plus they are vinatge, and pretty cheap...

20. Curly

Curly Member

there are so many nice small blues combos now

depending on your needs, I'd say a tweed Deluxe, like the Victoria 20112, or the tweed Super, like the Victoria 35210