Best Live Stereo Set-Up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hootad Binky, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

I presume it would be best to use identical amps? If so which type and how much wattage?

For onstage but loud enough for an audience on a dancefloor to hear their actual stereo mix over a PA playing blasting House music.

Size is an issue; I can't really use two massive cabinets (too heavy, too big, might fall over and crush an audience member, heh heh).

It would be nice to have two smallish but powerful units, one on each side of the PA. I might also run another mix into the PA for the sound guy to run into the monitors and the PA mix.

2. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

Just get a digital stereo preamp/multi effects processor/modeler like an AX-FX or a GSP1101, POD, etc, a dual mono tube or SS power amp, and either 2 1x12 cabs or a 2x12 or 4x12 in stereo. Then you can freak out on pingpong delays and true stereo effects. With the AX-FX, GSP1101 or similar units you can also just walk in to a show with a guitar and the processor and play a gig- run the processor direct to the PA with cab sims on.

Or go to the trouble trying to make 2 amps work in a dual mono kind of stereo rig.

3. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

These are confusing statements to me. You want to be loud enough to drown out the PA? I'm not getting it.

Are you sure you want/need "stereo"? Or do you think mono with two cabinets on each side of the stage would work? When I think of a stereo rig, I think of time domain effects spilling/swirling from one side to another (chorus, reverb, delay) usually. If that's not what you're trying to do, could you just use one head that has two outputs (and then put a 1x12 on each side of the stage)?

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I use a Carr Mercury and a custom 12" PRO JR, and its fantastic.

5. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

6. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

Wow! Thanks everyone.

Yes, it's very important the audience clearly hear the f/x, as they complement and highlight the transitions of the music I'm playing over.

7. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Cool - I wasn't trying to be pedantic; I really didn't know if you needed true stereo (but you do). So how about this next follow-up: do you want audience members who hear 80% left speaker and 20% right speaker (due to positioning) to hear the EXACT same tones in both ears? Or are you more concerned with the guy in the back of the room who has 50%/50% of each amp?

I ask b/c the whole "I want two different amps" thing goes out the window if you want the guy with the lopsided "view" of things to hear the same tones that the guy with the 50/50 view has. For example, I run a Marshall-esque amp on the left and a Vox-y amp on the right. Depending on where you sit, you'll get different sounds/feels. But a guy in the 50/50 slot gets the ideal mix.

8. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

^ Good point: hadn't thought of that.

I just really want the audience dancing in front of the PA or standing in the back to hear the guitar f/x in stereo, as I use a lot of delay and flange, etc. which are very integral to the type of music I'm playing over as people tend to like it and respond to the volume and immediacy of the f/x. Maybe the PA is more important in that regard...

9. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

WDW might be what you are after, if your amp has a line out, run it into your effects unit, run the stereo out of the efx into the pa, or a pair of amps [they can be solid state]. You get your normal guitar tone, with the effects spread out.

10. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

If the two amps are going to have the exact same signal, then two amps for stereo makes no sense. It's just extra gear and hassle. Two cabs will get you there.

If you want wet/dry, or clean/dirt... The possibilities are endless. At the moment, I'm digging a scooped fender clean matched along side a mid focused amp with speaker break up. Twin with a JBL 12, and a Z28 with dual red fang tens. Lots of options there.