Best locking machine heads?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by El Kabong, Mar 14, 2006.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Which do you prefer and why? I bought the top of the line, stupidly expensive, Gotoh HAPM's a couple of years back and they were J-U-N-K. I will need a new set for something coming down the pipe and want it done right the first time.

2. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I like sperzels, never had a problem with them. Schallers I'm sure are good, also.

3. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

I have sperzels also.................. no problems.

4. sosomething

sosomething Member

I've used Sperzels and like their feel and accuracy, but they're a little heavy and can make a well-balanced guitar into a neck-heavy one. Plus I've known one or two people who have lost the string retainer pin trying to change strings in a dark club (for once not me).

The Schallers are very nice. They don't have quite the positive feel of the Sperzels, but they're a lot smaller and lighter, and I'd say just as accurate.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either, though.

5. Marcel

Marcel Member

I'm surprised; can you tell us your experience with the HAPM's?

6. bluestein

bluestein Member

I like the Planet Waves with the auto-trim feature.

Lightweight and easy to use.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Grover makes a set with a lifetime guarantee for around $50.

8. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I have Grovers on my Chafin's and they are great.
    I have Sperzels on everything else also great.
    The Sperzels are easier to string,but they both work well.

9. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Sperzels, though I have to get them bored out a bit to handle the heavier string guages that I use.

10. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Sperzel mini locking tuners!

11. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I was going to use the Fender Schaller locking tuners for an old Strat I got but nobody has them in stock and they aren't expected for months. Ordered the Sperzels.

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Thanks for the responses. Mini Sperzels? Got a link DB, they might be the ticket, as full size versions are not what I'm after? I can't finds them.

The Planet Waves look very interesting as well, thanks. After having a locking cam design, I believe the locking thumb screw is the way to go.

Marcel, the HAPM's in Japan when they first were introduced, were about $140!! The cam posts can fall out easily when restringing. These tiny pieces are also made of very soft metal and are easily damaged during restringing. As the machine heads are staggered, the ad copy claims that you don't need a string tree. On a standard Fender headstock, that simply is not true. The gear ratio or mechanism is also so smooth that they don't feel like they have any tension on them. The feel is very different than a traditional design.

13. gregc

gregc Member

I like the new, open-back Sperzels. The ones Jim Soloway uses on his Swan guitars. Very cool~ because there's no extra locking mechanicals to stick, break, etc. It uses 3 simple friction points to lock the string.
    gregc

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Is this the method used by the Grovers? Did you have these problems with Grover locking tuners?

15. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I find the weight to be a factor. For Fender style axes I like the locking Gotoh Kluson-style tuners. Lightweight and work great. Grosh uses them and that's god enough for me.

16. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

I have never tried the Grovers, but the design does look to be like Gotoh's.

Greg, the ones you are talking about have my interest. Too bad all the info on like I have found is gor the Trim-Lok series.

17. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Paul at specialty guitars.com carries the "Toneloks" . I suppose identical to the Soloway install in this thread except the Toneloks have a hole in the back for the string to come thru but I don't see one on Jim's version . :confused: That particular guitar may have non-locking ??

mac , the posts on the regular sized Grover lockers are 1/4 " taller than regular FWIW . Mini locking G's are regular height . Grovers use a "post inside a hollow post" setup , no screws or xtras and work fine , just tall .

18. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It's just an old picture that was taken before the Tonelocks were widely available. We switched not long after.

19. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Thanks Jim , I was wondering if there were 2 versions is all . The add-on small buttons (Ivoroid/whatever) are near weightless (comparatively) , and the tulip-shaped are light to begin with . I think I remember Ron Thorn uses em too , or was unless he switched .