Best Looper - Single Pedal Size

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Feb 8, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Supporting Member

Im looking at the Boss RC-2.. Id like something that just loops ( records my playing and plays it back ) and does it at a high quality. To be used on a pedalboard, on the fly. Any suggestions, or it the boss the only single pedal sized contender?

Thanks!

2. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

the rc-2 is it...but my experience with the pedal is that the loop playback has less punch and doesnt do a good job at recreating the punch--you can tell that the loop is a loop, as opposed to someone else playing. but, for it's size, it's hard to beat. i had one but sold it b/c the audio fidelity wasn't there.

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

4. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder Member

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Eh, I don't want to be rude, but the zvex is a really primitive "looper" at best. The best one that you can use is the gibson echoplex, which allows you to record multiple loops synced to a source, as well as trigger, mute, control speed rates of all of the loops. The zvex only allows you to record one track, and I'm not sure of the length. The AKAI E2 is cool, but I found it limiting. It allows you to record up to 28 seconds worth of loops, so you can have the first one, add on that, and keep going. The only bad thing is that when you hit undo, it removes all loops except the original, so you have to make sure the track you lay down is perfect.

6. surferbeto

surferbeto Member

Um, anyone like the Digitech JamMan? I just saw a really impressive guitarist making extnsive use of that pedal.

7. staplek

staplek Supporting Member

Ur correct, its simplistic and very limited. I think this is more of a "vibe" pedal. But the lo-fi aspect is what makes it unique. The Zvex would be more of a sonic choice than a feature choice.

8. BluesHarp

Ok, If I went with something that was a bit bigger in size, what would be my best choices?

9. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

RC20 destroys all other loopers imho

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I love my RC-2! It does everything that I want a looper to do, doesn't take up ANY space, and really is fairly easy to learn to use.

11. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    My vote is for the Digitech JamMan, get the extra 3 switch unit, that combo is incredible. The Jam Man has a much better sound quality/fidelity to it than the RC20, RC20LX or the RC2 by far.

TheGrooveking

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

The RC-2 is the only one I know of in a single pedal size. Honestly the sound quality is equivalent to me of every floor looper I've ever used which includes the DL-4, DD-20, Boomerang, RC-20XL, and the Loop Junky (which of course isn't made to sound hifi). No floor unit has a GREAT playback as far as I'm concerned. For a really high quality playback you'd have to go rack but the RC-2 is as good as any of the other pedals is my point.

13. BluesHarp

I take it that the sampling rate and processor is all pretty much the same from unit to unit, or so close it doesnt show in a live context?

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

Let me add that it just depends on how you like to loop. I *love* my EDP, don't care about loop storage, and will absolutely mangle the loop on the fly. However, for static loops, background rhythms and practice, the RC2 is great. Personally, I like the DD20 Gigadelay, because you can preset a loop length and have a loop with control over feedback. For me, feedback control is essential for live looping, but it might not be for many people.

15. Rasta

Rasta Member

I dig the Jamman. Not so much for use in live situations or even at rehearsal, but it's a blast for practicing at home. I love the layering you can do with it as well.

16. Mincer

Mincer Member

Absolutely! Truth is, I think if Boss made an RC-2 with feedback, they'd probably sell more- at least to the sound mangling evolvo-crazee crowd. I dismissed it right away when I read about it- it made no sense to me. But after spending time with one, I 'get' it.
    There are other ways people use loops! Amazing when I realized this. Throw the RC-2 and 1 or 2 pedals in a bag, and you'll have a gay ol time.

Wow, that didn't sound right at all. Sorry.

17. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've owned a few and my favorite is the digitech jamman.

18. KagakuNinja

KagakuNinja Member

The EDP, Timefactor and (I think) DL4 allow you to control the feedback, via a knob or external footpedal. I've heard the RC2 has issues with the cheezy drum machine kicking in when you don't want it, which is the kiss of death for live looping.

My vote is on the Timefactor, if they fix the looper glitch (and you can still use the dual delay as a looper in any case)

19. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

DT, kinda' OT (but not really), but have you received that Maneco Cell unit that you had on order w/Juan? If so, how do you like it? I'm still (eagerly) awaiting my custom Filter Eko II, and have held off getting a looper till then. It was supposed to ship last week... That said, I ended up making a trade for a loop junky! Also, I'd love to get a Gibson Echoplex as a looper once I get into racks!

20. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

I think the RC-2 will work for you. I find the sound quality better than most pedal loopers like the DL-4, Akai, Boomerang, etc.