best low buck way to get Vox tones...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wingwalker, Mar 9, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ok, Im not every gonna be a guy that will base his tone around a Vox amp but every once in a while I'd like ot have that AC15/30 chime on tap...Im not up on all the Vox(ish) and low $$$ Vox amps out there...so I need some help.

Now, I am not at all interested in every EL84 amp out there...top me PV Classics, for example don't sound Voxy at all...EL84's do NOT make a Vox!

So, suggest me a few low dollar amps that can capture at least some of that Vox magic w/o breaking the back...remember this is an amp I might plug into once a month!

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

AC30 CC1s were around $700 new and probably cheaper used?

3. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

How about a Menatone Top Boost In A Can pedal (TBIAC?) If it is an occasional use, I have heard great things about that pedal. Something to consider, been thinking about picking one up for my Fargen Blackbird when I want a Vox fix.

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Damn good question!

Let's say early Tom Petty/Mike Campbell for starters as well as Yardbirds era Jeff Beck...those are the 2 tones that come to mind for me when I think Vox...that covers the driven/compressed cleans (Petty/Campbell) as well as the crunch (Beck)...

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thats a good call...I forgot all about the 1x12 version...this leads me to 2 more questions...

-Are the CC's really able to get the classic Vox tones??

-I know I said little use but are they completely junk or could I get atleast some use out of them before they fell apart...no offence to anyone but they look cheep as all get out...

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Good idea...anyone out there care to chime in on this possibility?? Can a TBIAC make me happy for my once in a while Vox tonal desires???

7. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

Used AC15's go for $350-500 on eB*y pretty often, I've found...

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

A great alternative is to pick up a Matchless Hotbox pedal. It is a tube preamp, not just a pedal, and it does Vox cleans to all kinds of overdrive very, very well.

There's one on eBay right now a a great price ($450).

9. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Genz Benz Black Pearl - very voxish, very versatile.

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I'd second the Vox AC15 route. I picked up a used 1997 for about $800, with 2 X 10 speakers about 5 years ago. I was looking at a Matchless Lightning and a Bad Cat 15 watt amp talking to the dealer one day and he said why not just buy a Vox for Vox tones? Duh. . .:eek:

It's a great amp. . .Not for everything, but it is a great platform for pedals.

11. chris_d

chris_d Member

12. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

If you currently have a good clean amp---especially a blackface Fender type amp, then the Menatone TBIAC is definitely the way to go.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ok, let me ask...these $350-400 AC-15's I assume these are the CC's and if so do they really get into classic Vox tones??

Also, FWIW I have a 1968 Vox Silver Alnico that I could and would happily drop into a 1x12 AC-15...my biggest issue with the AC15CC's is the lack of a tube rect...is it it that big of a deal to the guys out there that are using them??

Thanks for the other ideas...the Genz Benz and the Frenzel I'll look into those as well...in the meantime keep 'em coming!!!

14. seblo_15

seblo_15 Member

15. jm4

jm4 Member

Not sure how you feel about solid state/tube hybrid modelling amps, but another option might be the Vox Valvetronix line. The AD120VTH is pretty slick and they can be picked up used for about $350-$400. It can do AC15/AC30 among others and being able to go from bedroom levels to loud enough to peel the paint off the walls without affecting the tone is a plus.

16. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Supporting Member

I have a 30-watt Crate Vintage Club (1 12") from a few years back and it compares favorably with both my AC-30s.

17. frank62

frank62 Member

A used AC15CC with your Silver Bell will get you all the way home.

18. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

If it'll get the tone I don't really care how I get it...I couldn't live off moderlers alone but if they'll do it then once in a while won't kill me.

I've ever heard that some of the SS Vox amps have the sound, I coudl even go that route if I knew it was true...

Anybody else think this is the way to go???

19. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thats what I wanted to hear!

Anybody else agree with this or maybe disagree????

Are the quality on these little amps as bad as some folks say they are???

20. bosstone

bosstone Member

I would either go the pedal route or seriously consider the Create Palomino V32's that are being closed out at some of the Guitar Centers for about $350.00. There are many pages of very good reviews about them here on The Gear Page. They are being compared very favorably to many Dr. Z amps and amps costing two to four times as much. I hears one and couldn't believe it was a Crate. It goes very VOXish when turned up in the clean channel. Many have said they prefer it to the new AC30s.