Best low budget Flying V

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Charles#5, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I want to get a Flying V but I don't want to spend too much. What's the best V out there for under $500 (used no problem)?

Cheers,
    Johan

2. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I've got an Epiphone '58 reissue V that I picked up new earlier this year. Action, fit, and finish are perfect. I can take the action down basically as low as I like with absolutely no buzzing. The stock pickups were a standard Epiphone affair - a bit buzzy and quite flappy in the bottom end, but with some new buckers in there (custom wound Alnico 3 neck/Alnico 5 bridge) it is exceptionally tight and focused. I've had no problems with the stock pots or wiring. If you get the gold-plated hardware, expect it to wear through to chrome in heavy wear areas (bridge, pickups covers) within a month or two.

The neck has a great feel to it. It's slightly wider at the nut than an LP, and has a slightly thinner profile than a standard 60s, so it's very fast. Much faster than my LP or Firebird.

It gets a lot of compliments for its tone, even before I put new pickups in it, and the finish (korina) is beautiful. I'd definitely recommend it.

3. changeling

changeling Member

for around that money,maybe another hundred you could get a gibson faded v.

they sound really good with antiquities;didn;t care for the stock overwound ones. mine reminded me of michael schencker's tone.
    r

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

Take a look at Reverend Volcano. They are a little more than $500 new, but well worth it. If you go used they will be under $500.

[​IMG]

5. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I would say Epi '58 V or Dean '79 Series. I have owned the Dean and it was excellent. I have played the Epi and I would love to have one. The Dean is mahogany with a mohagany neck and maple top. The Epi is all Korina I believe.

6. Mortebpmb

Mortebpmb Member

I'd suggest a korean Dean with a set neck anytime:dude

7. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

I use a Dean V-X and that has been my best-kept secret in playing recently. It is probably under 200 new and you can get them for less used. They have great hardshell cases as well. Then neck is A+ and plays very well

8. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I played one unplugged at a local dealer recently. The neck was awesome on this.

I just saw a couple of old Greco's on Ebay for under $500.00 bucks that look pretty cool for the money. Throw on some new tuners and a couple of Wolfetones and you might have a real winner on your hands.

9. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Let me just say the Epi '58 Vee doesn't like 11's - even after a new bridge, tuners, and nut, it won't stay in tune.

10. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

That is sweet for $500:banana

11. Chuck King

Chuck King Member

+1 (or whatever we're up to) on the Epi '58 Korina Flying V. It's a great-playing, great sounding guitar. Mine is bone stock, and I think the pickups sound quite good.

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I had 11's on my epi 58 v. I never like how the rosewood felt "fake" on the fingerboard. It sounded killer (I had duncan 59's in it) and looked super cool, but I never played it that much because my favorite les paul basically sounded the same and it felt right. I dont know why the fingerboard felt so wierd to me, but all of the epiphones are like that. If the fingerboard doesnt bother you, by all means, that was an awesome guitar, and you will be very happy with it.

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

You might want to look at the ESP LTD Alexi-200. More of the RR shape than the Gibson. It is under $500. I just ordered the Alexi-600.

14. brain21

brain21 Member

Figure out what kind of body wood you want. The Epiphone & Reverend are the only Korina that you'll get anywhere under around $2k I think, unless you go with something like a Warmoth build.

The Hamers (until you get WAY out of your budget) are all Alder (traditionally strat wood). The rest are generally mahogany, some w/ a maple cap.

Gibson has 2 relatively new 3 pickup faded Vs that come w/ a varitone as well, and street for $799.

The offset Vs never did it for me. I'd go for the Epiphone and upgrade the pups, or maybe try and find an old Ibanez Rocket Roll in cherryburst

http://www.hat.hi-ho.ne.jp/luke99/rocketroll.htm

Actually a lawsuit mid-70s Ibanez Korina V would be pretty cool. THEN the Epi V or Warmoth, etc.

The Dean Black Gold V is pretty damned sweet if you like the Mahogany/Maple Vs:
    http://www.deanguitars.com/images/summer05/BlackGoldV_large.jpg

They are $650 street, so you might be able to find a used or scratch & dent for around $500.

Decide the body wood you want, & go from there.

Brain21

15. JimiStiff

JimiStiff Member

+1. i have one and i love mine!

16. Mortebpmb

Mortebpmb Member

I have an Epi V '58. It's a good guitar but my Dean is so much better.[​IMG][​IMG]

17. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Why not save a little and get a Gibson Flying V used. I got a white 2006 in new condition right down to the OHSC, case candy, and plastic on the pickguard for $800 locally.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  18. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Any new recommendations for budget V's in the last 4 years?

For folks who dig the Dean models, which models are you all recommending?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  19. Dmarcin

Dmarcin Member

The best way to spend your money on a flying v is not buying a flying V :D

20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

I'm partial to the overseas Vector from Hamer 'cause ya gotz to have the boomers.
    [​IMG]