Best low cost USB guitar interface/software

Boromedic

Hey all, after some recommendations for a low cost USB guitar interface that gives reasonable quality recordings and minimal latency. I don't necessarily need stereo or mic inputs but also wouldn't say no either. Was looking at a Line 6 Amplifi TT but wasn't sure I can turn the modelling off and use it as a plain interface. Just the one input would work I'm sure.

Candidates so far are the Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Solo, Alesis Core 1, and others.

I don't have a DAW as yet but have used Audacity for many years without issues, if the interface comes with decent software then that's fine too. I'm not looking to record albums or anything. More just to record and critique my playing, personal demos, writing etc. ideas, maybe demos to share with friends etc.

I'll be using a Lenovo Windows 10 64 bit based laptop with a 1TB hard drive, 4GB RAM, intel core i5 processor it has a Conexant HD sound card I believe if that matters with an interface? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff really, I used to record using a Zoom H2N or Korg PXR4 and then upload it to Audacity. I have an Atomic Amplifire that I'll use in front of it but nothing else other than my HB equipped guitar although I do still have the PXR4 too. My budget is less than $80 ideally, any help, recommendations or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

mattball826

Look at some Focusrite or Behringer UPhoria products.

You need to bump that Ram though. 8GB min if it were me.

Focusrite Scarlett series come with Cubase LE which is a decent DAW software kit and better than Audacity.

Behringer comes with Traction (but I'm not a fan of that Sw).

Boromedic

Thanks mate, yeah I came across the Behringer stuff and forgot to add them in my shortlist. Would I still need to upgrade my RAM if I got Behringer with Tracktion? They state 2GB minimum compared to Cubase which requires 4GB minimum and 8GB recommended.

I'll check some reviews of the hardware and software and see!

Thanks

pbmw

I started with an M-Audio Fast Track. Mic and guitar inputs
Works just fine for what you're doing.
Download Reaper.
You can find them used for cheap. Heck...new they're cheap.
Headphones for when you need to be quiet and use the monitor outs tp gp tp a [air of Studio Monitors when you're ready.
It'll do exactly what you're asking.
In fact, I'm using it right now in my living room instead of going down to the studio.

Boromedic

Thanks mate,

I have had some poor feedback on the M-Audio Fast Track so I've avoided including that. I'll be using headphones full stop at the mo I think so may invest in some decent ones. Been looking at some Audio Technicas actually already!

I'm starting to thing maybe I'm best to keep using the Korg PXR4 to be honest as in fairness it's pretty good quality and the cost of upgrading my laptop is negating the cheapness of the I/O! I'll keep looking and see what I can find. Thanks

MrTAteMyBalls

Thanks mate, yeah I came across the Behringer stuff and forgot to add them in my shortlist. Would I still need to upgrade my RAM if I got Behringer with Tracktion? They state 2GB minimum compared to Cubase which requires 4GB minimum and 8GB recommended.

I'll check some reviews of the hardware and software and see!

Thanks

If all you want to do is play guitar through it then 4 gigabytes is probably fine. I run positive grid bias with almost no latency on a Windows 10 tablet with a mobile processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Bias will run standalone with no DAW software. It's great if all you're wanting to do is turn your computer into a guitar amp.

If you want to do real audio production and multiple tracks/plugins then it wouldn't be a bad idea to have more Ram. Ram is cheap though so it would be an easy upgrade.

Boromedic

Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah I'm quite set with the AF as a modeller to be honest, I just want to record it more easily so maybe the extra RAM should go on the list too!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom