Best low gain overdrive

jchan

Here is a list of the ones that I think you may want to consider, some which have been previously mentioned:

KLONE of some type
Timmy
Menatone Red Snapper
Bearfootfx Honey Bee
RC Booster
AC Booster
Boss Blues Driver
Prince of Tone
Bearfootfx Dyna Red (with gain turned down and guitar volume down)
Digitech CM-2
Fulltone OCD
Fetto
Jetter Helium

My favorite would be the Timmy.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
Another vote for the Greer Lightspeed. Very low gain and transparent, but makes you not want to turn it off!

transmission

Lumpy's Tone Shop Class A is pretty fantastic. Has a low end switch for three bass modes.

Great amp like feel.

I think I saw one in the emporium for $99. Good deal.

The Mad Professor Royal Blue is also very dynamic to pick attack, like the Class A.

Both of those beat out the Gain Changer for me, it got sold. Not enough control over the bass, which I feel is important for low gain. I also felt the drive seemed to sit on top of the clean sound, and not become one with it.

Last edited:

westex

Disgruntled Optimist
Silver Supporting Member
The absolute, positively, without a shred of a doubt best is the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor. YMMV IMHO, etc

reversedelay

Question for all who suggested the LTD: does it matter which variety of LTD? I've looked into buying one used but there's several versions and I'm never sure which one to look out for. Thanks!

Andyman74

I have to agree that the Joyo sweet baby excellent. Super creamy.. Shipped for $28 you can't go wrong. If you don't want a clone on your board get the SHOD.

freddyfeebleman

Gold Supporting Member
I've had: Cmatmods Signa Drive, Mad P. SHOD, TC Spark B., Skreddy Screwdriver, Barber Gain Changer, Rockett Tim Pierce OD & Blue Note, & Fromel DIG. Still have the Blue Note but my favorite of all of them is the Fromel DIG.

oil

I have tried many different pedals and the best low gain OD for me, playing single coils through EL84 amps is the BJFE Honeybee.

freddyfeebleman

Gold Supporting Member
Why do u like the fromel dig so much?
The DIG, for my money, is the most amp-like, articulate, of all the OD's I tried. It can be dialed in for an almost clean boost up to a gritty mid-gain od and sounds great at every setting, w/humbuckers and singles. I like the Blue Note for the same reasons.

phishead5941

In my search for a low gain overdrive I started with the analogman KOT. I purchased and now have in my possession the cmatmods butah. On the way is the Barber ltd. I will post my thoughts/impressions later, once I get the barber ltd.

phishead5941

I have played the Butah a bit now and it is a great sounding pedal. It is more compressed than the KOT and to me has less of the nasally midrange thing going on than the KOT, that is in comparison to the standard gain KOT. The butah is not quite as clear as the KOT and doesn't clean up quite as good as the KOT. With that said the butah cleans up great with the volume knob and just sounds killer. I haven't played it in a live context yet. But, it fits the bill perfect for a low gain overdrive just adding a touch of break up and sustain.

I haven't got the Barber Ltd yet. But I will post my impressions of it once I get it. It should be here tomorrow or Monday. It was delayed by winter storms. Thanks everyone for your feedback and input.

Top Bottom