Best Low-Watt Marshall (or clone)?

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.
While your there see if you can see my Mighty Plex Mk2, Ben said it should be done early next week and shipped. It's PURPLE!

Mine's purple, too!!!

Fargen is a good builder and the miniplex gets some great tones, but
you're limited on what you can do with 8-12 watts.

The Reeves Custom 18 with power scaling delivers a full 20 watts, but also
allows you to dime it down for home/studio playing.
This amp will make you happier when trying to cut through live drums
and still maintaining a reasonable degree of clean headroom.

Your definitely a lucky man to have gotten to play both! Not many have. The Reeves was on my short list, too. The internal shots of the Reeves are jaw dropping.

As for wattage, here's what Ben said:

Hi,
<snip>yes..the perceived volume of the MPMKII is that of a 18 watt amp in full power mode

Thanks,
Benjamin

Also, there's the previously mentioned Mighty Plex option (which I might have mine converted to down the line) which brings it to around 40 watts and can be done as a retrofit later if needed.

Anyway, I'm excited to stop reading about all this stuff and finally get a chance to PLAY the thing.

BAN

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I listened to every 18 watt combo clip I could find, and the Blockhead clips stood out. I really liked several others, but I couldn't get over the Blockhead. I ended up getting one from the Emporium, and it's everything I've ever wanted in a small Marshall sound.

I'm gigging it tonight for the first time!

voojo

Ben said me also at he ship it next week :RoCkIn and its a Mini Plex MkII 40watter, so is it Mighty Plex MkII ???

/sam

Hi Sam, yes I believe he calls the higher wattage ones Mighty Plex, maybe he doesn't have Mighty Plex badges made up? Not sure.

Mine's purple, too!!!

You have great taste!

I listened to every 18 watt combo clip I could find, and the Blockhead clips stood out. I really liked several others, but I couldn't get over the Blockhead. I ended up getting one from the Emporium, and it's everything I've ever wanted in a small Marshall sound.

I'm gigging it tonight for the first time!

There are so many good choices for 18 watt amps nowadays. Fargen Mini Plex Mk2 (12 watts,) Reeves Custom 18, Reinhardt The 18 and MI-6, Suhr Badger all have powerscaling and have gotten great reviews.

Here is a review featuring some of those amps and more:

http://www.reevesamps.com/assets/articles/vintage_guitar_122007.pdf

mcgriff420

Alot of great amps and builders mentioned already.. And the 18 watt Marshall is legendary.

But there is more to Marshall crunch than the 74X derivatives, and 18 watts can be convincingly LOUD.

My personal fav in the 'low watt' area is the Rockytop jcm800 'clone'

-Single ended class A, 10-12 watts max. Get's a dead on early JCM 800 sound at low volume/sweat. Thats with the gain maxed out, there are plenty shades of early Marshall below that on the gain knob.

FFTT

In all fairness a well built 5 watt all tube like the Gries 5 or Reeves Custom 6 can still be quite loud depending on your home situation, so when considering a low volume amp, you need to play a bunch of them, checking their clean headroom and then seeing what it takes to get them to break-up.

If you're normal schedule has you recording at 2:00 AM, then you most certainly want something with power scaling or at the very least a good
master volume control.

Craftmatic

Fargen is a good builder and the miniplex gets some great tones, but
you're limited on what you can do with 8-12 watts.
For studio and small venues mic'd you'll be OK, but it's going to be tough
with live drums unless you have good stage monitoring.

Just interested in home use for cranked Marshall sound in this thread. I have a Dr. Z MAZ 38 Watt Sr. head for playing out and also a Peavey Classic 30 - both all-purpose amps, more or less - but can certainly keep up with a drummer (esp. the MAZ).

DICKIE C

I looked at Bacino first, they are faithful clones of the Marshall model 1958 18 watter. They sound awesome but are a little pricey. I then discovered the Reinhardt 18 and have not looked back. I have the head & slanted 212 cab w/ greenbacks and it sounds fantastic. Price range is very good and service is excellent! Also, it features tube/solid state rectifier switch (not mentioned on his web-site for the 18)

DiezelDale

Just got my first LP (Historic R0) in 30 years and wanted to take the Marshall plunge after being a Fender man my whole life. Looking for home use, low wattage with lots of the famous Marshall crunch at relatively low volumes. I only like tube/valve amps. I want that classic '60's - '70's sound.
Bob Reinhardt makes the 18watt combo like nobody else. The best build quality and one of the best tones amps you will find, and priced lower than the other big name amp builders!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom