• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Best luthier in Atlanta?

SGdiseree

Don't remember the name of the place, but there's a place a couple of doors down from the GC on Pleasant Hill Road at Cruse Road. They will treat you right, and do a great job.

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
I would talk to the tech over at Maple Street Guitars. I think his name is Jeff, or Josh..something with a J.

I've never had a refret done with him, but every bit of tech work he's done for me has been top-quality.

HeyMrTeleMan

Colonel of Truth
I would talk to the tech over at Maple Street Guitars. I think his name is Jeff, or Josh..something with a J.

I've never had a refret done with him, but every bit of tech work he's done for me has been top-quality.
Jeff Henry is his name. Nice guy, he does great work. I've never had the need for a re-fret, but they sell VERY expensive acoustic guitars (as well as electrics) and the owner, George Petsch, is very picky, so I'm sure they do good work, fret-wise.

I don't know any actual card carrying Luthiers in the Atlanta area. No one named D'Angelico or anything...:D

Anyone?

Sign me,
Lex Luthier

amigo30

Silver Supporting Member
Jeff Henry?
I think that is right. I used to have his card around, but I can't find it at the moment. He's done incredible work on 3 of my electrics, and pulled a 60's martin acoustic out of the jaws of death for a friend of mine.

Again...I don't know about taking a vintage instrument in for a refret, but he's a straight shooter and a good guy. It would at least be worth talking to him about it.

6stringer

Tom Dodson out of Jackson, Georgia (about 30 miles south of Atlanta) off of I-75. He is the only person I let work on my guitars. He does superb work and is a great guy. One heck of a player as well.

Check out his web page.......you will be happy with his work. I have referred him to friends as well.....and they were impressed by his work.

www.dodsonguitars.com

He can do all types of major repair and restoration work.....frets job - no problem....

kebotrans

Platinum Supporting Member
Jonathan Brown builds and repairs guitars. He lives in Newnan but works on the Southside of ATlanta as well. His Email is jbcustom77@yahoo.com He has made a few guitars for me and done all of my repairs and they were excellent.

axemanjoe

I have had a lot of work done by Tom Dodson down in Jackson, very good and very reasonable, I really havent used anyone else aside from Dan Erlewine or Randy Brown when Randy was at Rockin Robin in Houston, I go to Tom exclusively now.

majorbanjo

Randy Wood in Savannah is the only person I let work on mine...he's been around a long time and really knows his stuff....he was a partner to George Gruhn when he started his shop in Nashville years ago.....he builds guitars and some high end mandolins....he worked on stuff for kieth richards, eric clapton, elvis presley, bill monroe......

www.randywoodguitars.com

mike6m

I have heard really good things about Kerry Marchman. I will probably go to him next.

Jeff at Maple street does great setup work as well. Again, no fretwork experience.

I did have a busted Guild acoustic (long story) that I took to one of the shops in Gwinnett County. Great place to take a guitar to be worked on by students. I know mine was. I had to sell that guitar to a music store to find a buyer. This was the beginning of my "If they have a luthiery school, don't take a guitar there" rule.

Also, if they have a team of guys, I try to avoid the shop. I want to know who is actually doing the work on my guitar.

Last edited:

stratoquack

Peter Jones. Call Atlanta Discount Music for his contact info. I've seen his work done on a couple of different guitars and it's outstanding.

Also, Bert Foster is back in business and living up in Gainesville, you could probably find him on line. His work was good enough for Steve Morse.

Rob Taft

Gold Supporting Member
I have had a different experience with Randy Wood, although if you are assured Randy Wood will be the one actually working on your guitar you will probably get a good job. I used to live in Savannah and I took a '60 player grade ES-345 to have tuners replaced, it had some old Ovation tuners in place of the original Grovers, I wanted the brass nut replaced and a hole patched from a coil tap switch.

It took over 6 months and in the end the repairs were not done by him but "assistants" who hung around his shop. Instead of replacing the tuners with new Grovers they drilled new holes and installed aftermarket Klusons i.e. I ended up owning the only '60 Gibson that had Grover's originally installed but now had cheap Kluson's look-alike installed...different screw holes. His explanation, Gibson didn't install Grover's in 1960. Agghhh. My original pickup rings, and knobs were replaced with new aftermarket parts. I never asked that anything be done to the knobs and rings. I didn't leave his shop until I had them back. During the nut replacement they damaged/lost 1/4" of binding near the nut. The hole repair was not close to a finish match. It was the worst experience I've ever had and I've been playing since '75. This experience made me decide to learn the basics and learn how setups, fret leveling etc.. If you are going to send your guitar to someone long distance, I would recommend Joe Glaser in Nashville. His shop did a Plek job and setup on my Guild Benedetto AA and it was the best setup I've had to date.

Trending Topics