Best Marshall for Clean Tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratcat62, Sep 30, 2008.

1. stratcat62

stratcat62 Member

I'm looking for that looser, more midrangey Marshall clean tone. Would you guys recommend a JTM 45/100, Super Bass, or Super Lead for the best clean tones? The best way I could describe what I'm looking for is, thicker than blackface clean, but still sweet sounding. Please don't say Twin Reverb. I've got one and I'm looking to add to it with some Marshall clean.

2. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

Trace Elliot Bonneville~ (the 50W)

have a ball finding it tho :(

Or the Laney VC30... That's got some guts!

Mondoslug likes this.
  3. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Aiken Intruder. Best plexi-ish Marshall cleans on the planet. Not much headroom in the 30 watter though

How loud, or how much headroom do you need?

4. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

5. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Marshall Major. No joke, if you want warm cleans, this serves it up by the bucket load.

6. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The old plexi amps and that style of amp has great cleans on tap...Marshall clean- not new country clean. But great just the same.

The bigger the amp...generally the more headroom you'll have and the more control you'll have over the onset of dirt. But volume, weight and expense (retubing 4 vs 2 tubes) become a factor with the bigger amps. But they're hard to beat for fullness, depth and complexity. You decide.

I like the JTM 45 myself but I've been thing about a super bass...just for the cleans actually. If you want loose then the JTM 45 with the tube recto is the ticket, but they take a little getting used to and I found I needed to tweak mine a bit to get it right. I'm not sure if the 100 watt version is tube rectified (x2) or if it's got a plug (bet it does) but that's certainly the logical step after the 35 watter.

OK... just checked- I don't see any cap or tube for rectification...what's up? Must be SS inside?

Great amps.

JD

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Super PA or Super Organ. Or a Club & Country (made to compete with a Twin Reverb), or lastly an Artiste (not the 3203 Artist).

Major is good, but depends on which one, the Major PA has the most clean.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Marshall clean, ahahhahhahahahhahahhaha
    Best thread ever

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Germino Classic 45 has a beautiful clean tone and lots of headroom.

11. sinner

sinner Member

JTM45 with KT66s has juicy big cleans like a porsche in second gear--feels good right there revved up and purring along and you know you got 3rd and 4th gear any time you want. Different feeling than Blackface, quicker even with the tube rect, take a listen to mine here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=444581

12. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

JTM45/100 is far and away the nicest sounding clean marshall i think.

big and authoritative cleans. Might be my favorite sounding clean amp ever.

13. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Only two: JTM45 (or 100 for more headroom), Super Bass 100.

14. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I like Marshall cleans as much as any amp. There's plenty of good advice here already , except some weird post laughing about Marshall cleans.. Anyway my Jtm45 RI had great cleans, and then get retro modded by Don Butler and after that has about the nicest cleans of any amp I've heard. I also have a 71 Superlead that has great cleans, and my 2204 cleans are nice , but my Ceriatone version of a 2204 has much better cleans than my real 2204 for some reason! Anyway, I have loads of amps with nice cleans, and some of these are amongst my fav's.. Best of luck!

Eric

16. stratcat62

stratcat62 Member

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Based on my budget, I'm looking mostly at Ceriatone and what Nik has to offer. I'm interested in the 2203, definitely diggin the master volume circuit. ericb, how would you compare your Superlead to your 2204? Because the circuit is more recent, I'm guessing the 2203/2204 models are going to have more gain than the classic JTM and Plexi circuits.

17. Sol

Sol Member

All the non master volume Marshall's are capable of superb cleans, and there is a great veriety of tone colours to choose from, and I find even with a Les Paul that I can get all the clean headroom I need from a 50 Watt lead& bass top 1964 circuit
    (Think 1986 bass and your there).

This is my fave at the moment

18. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

Love the cleans on my JMP., modded by Blankenship. perfect thick tone with authority. After dragging it out I remembered how great EL34's are.

19. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Ever played a Marshall?
    :jo

My 1959SLP and Bluesbreaker combo (JTM45 tremolo) had fantastic cleans.
    Guitars volume knob can do strange things too...it doesn't have to be always on 10.

CaptPostMod likes this.
  20. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

The JTM45s, JTM100s, PAs and Superbass amps all have similar preamp specs to the tweed bassman/twin. More of a mid scoop than the lead spec models and that makes for a nicer clearer clean tone. I have a '68 Superbass 100 and it's a great amp to set clean (or close to it on about 6-7) and go with pedals from there. The Superbass has quite bit of negative feedback which makes it suprisingly less gainy and cleaner, more like a tweed high power twin albiet a little crunchier with the EL34s.