Best Marshall in a box I have EVER had is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Dec 1, 2017.

1. guitarobert

guitarobert Member

Own:
    Friedman BE-OD
    Barber Direct Drive
    Menatone King Studio
    Amptweaker Tight Rock Jr
    MI Audio Super Crunch Box v2

Tried in a store:
    Weehbo JCM
    Weehbo JMP
    Zvex Box of Rock

Found something to love about all of these. But my favorite is the Super Crunch Box v2. So versatile and has the control range on it to reach low/medium/high gain and do it well! Handles rolling back the guitar volume knob well too.

+Incoming, will own soon:
    Lovepedal Purple Plexi
    Lovepedal Jubilee

friend33, AceBSpankin and dpgreek like this.
  2. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

So they must have modded it since the original CB did NOT manage that

hollowbodyhead and Godspeed64 like this.
  3. Steven

Steven Member

The Gurus Double Decker has been my main drive pedal now for like two years. Everytime I try out a now pedal I find just how great the DD is. Two channels (Floor1 Plexi and Floor2 modded Plexi?), independent three band EQ on both channels, independent volume boost that works on either of the channels or by itself, series or parallell fx-loop, D/O out... Very dynamic and really responsive to your picking dynamics/volume knob changes on the guitar. Its also a great stacker - I use a Mini Tubescreamer in front of it to bosst both channels when I need some more juice. It also loves beeing hit by an Octavia fuzz.

I use the DD with mostly a Two Rock Classic Reverb 1x12 combo or a 18 watt Marshall clone in a 1x12 Combo, mostly with single coil guitars.

Whats not to like about the DD? Well it has remote switching jacks but I have never had any success trying to control it from my MusicomEfxIII switcher. In theory the musicom switcher should be able to select bypass, channel and boost for every program, but somehow Gurus have made a mess of the DDs remote switching. Its not a big thing for me in the end.

friend33 and Godspeed64 like this.
  4. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

This thread has been found guilty (by me) of causing GAS! The only reason I’m not buying a La Grange is that I owned a Ecstasy Blue - fantastic pedal but too bright in my setup. I hear that the La Grange is slightly brighter. The demos sound superb, but I need a pedal which can also do darker tones. Even without he rptreble backed totally off, the Blue was still too bright in certain settings for me.

However, I’ve just bought a Lovepedal Jubilee. It’s on its way to me as I type. I need another MIAB like a hole in the head, but I just couldn’t resist!!

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've owned too many pedals in this category. I've sold them all except Sean's Purple Plexi.

For me, many of the leading MIAB pedals can at least get close, except for the actual thump/percussive characteristic as I now play through combos exclusively. So that's a given. But Sean's pedal, from my perspective, does the lower gain and higher gain Marshall tones, with humbuckers and Strats, and offers some of the "dynamic thing" that the COT has - so it's not full-on sag - it barks/pops on pick attack. I find that to be unique.

friend33, guitarobert and AceBSpankin like this.
  6. J.Eric B

J.Eric B Member

No used Analog.man Ds1’s on reverb anymore. On eBay they’ve jumped in price $60 (w/o the mid knob), They’re still available through Analog.man for cheaper than used. If you’ve ever wanted to get one of these great pedals, move quickly.
    I saw on That Pedal Show’s Analog.man episode, Mike (Analog.man) said that he ordered a bunch of the 40th anniversaries to mod, and when they’re gone that’s it.
    Anyone out there who disliked the tone of the MIT Ds1s ( I’m among you), this modded version (shell out the extra $25 (for the mid knob option), is amazing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. borducks

borducks Member

I love the Plexi in my older Tech 21 Fly Rig. Sounds great to me, and I also get a boost, Fender style preamp, verb, direct capabilities and a really underrated delay w/ mod and tap. For less than some of the dedicated OD in this thread.

I also dig my EHX Glove. So I guess I like the OCD :)

8. liordino

liordino Member

I don't really know if this one is known as a MIAB, but I I love my EWS Little Brute Drive and think that it get right on this tone.

9. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Gurus 1959 doubledecker for me. More than just a pedal, it's a back up rig, thanks to fx loop and DI. most importantly though, it sounds stunning.

Steven, Pwurso and Godspeed64 like this.
  10. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

don't disagree at all. The AB vid of the TDP vs Marshall preamp stage sold me on it back in the day.

11. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Member

By far the best I've tried. Sounds more like an amp than a pedal.

Pwurso and Godspeed64 like this.
  12. LR1400

LR1400 Member

I agree. There are many pedals into a clean amp that will get really close, the feel is most of the difference for me.

There’s a video of Pete Thorn dialing in a distortion pedal to sound like his PT100 gain channel and he gets it exact in my opinion. It’s really really close.

13. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

wtf! Unless I missed it, so far 10 pages in and no love for either the Radial London Bones or Radial Hot British??

JCM in a box right there..As far as MIAB pure dirt pedals go, they were both my favourite and I kind of regret regret selling them when I got rid of my LA Grange during my pedal downsizing period. IMO, they both certainly held their own against the BEOD which I kept because it was the new kid on the block.

guitarobert likes this.
  14. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

So there's a bunch of fancy MIAB pedals around.

Out of 10 pages so far I have some questions:

What pedal is best for clean tones?

Do some of these have phones out for late night soloing?

Is there a MIAB better than the La Grange when it comes to the sound (asking since I find it awesome)?

Cheers! :beer

15. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

No. It's an analogue valve driven pedal that also has an has an emulated di out if you need it.

But without trying it, you wouldn't rate it if the spec sheet said digital? Man you'd be missing out. It wipes the floor with every other MIAB pedal I've ever used.

Pwurso and Godspeed64 like this.
  16. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

I hated that pedal. Fizzy (so much so, I suspect it was broken) , muffled and a bugger to power.

17. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

The Lovepedal Purple Plexi rules them all... :dude

18. Bogner

Bogner Member

Bogner La Grange ;)

Pwurso and Guitarwiz007 like this.
  19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

20. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I definitely am keen to try it. However I'm a bit wary that floor 2 won't be the JCM800 hot rodded JCM 800 tone I'm looking for. Floor 1 sounds great in all the vids I've seen. Just not sure about floor 2. People say the boost is good as well. It's $610 here in Australia whereas something like the MI Audio Super Crunchbox V2 is $179 and the BE-OD is $300. So its a lot of coin for a pedal that I may not like one of the sounds on.