Best Marshall in a box I have EVER had is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Bogner

Bogner Supporting Member

Bogner La Grange ;)

Pwurso and Guitarwiz007 like this.
  2. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

3. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I definitely am keen to try it. However I'm a bit wary that floor 2 won't be the JCM800 hot rodded JCM 800 tone I'm looking for. Floor 1 sounds great in all the vids I've seen. Just not sure about floor 2. People say the boost is good as well. It's $610 here in Australia whereas something like the MI Audio Super Crunchbox V2 is $179 and the BE-OD is $300. So its a lot of coin for a pedal that I may not like one of the sounds on.

4. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

That wasn't my experience with either of those two fine Radial pedals..Sure the Hot Brit needed some tweaking, and the London Bones was noisy, and had to be dialed back.I preferred both to the L.A Grange myself.

5. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Haven’t you folks heard of the Bogner La Grange?* I’ve had mine for just about a year now, never had a MIAB that could touch this pedal.

* (just kidding :banana)

sanfi4u likes this.
  6. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

Original crunch box. I’ve had mine for like a decade. It’s awesome.

guitarobert likes this.
  7. Bass in Zurich

Bass in Zurich Member

Gotta be honest, I use floor 1 and boost most of the time. That is where the magic is. But I'm not really a high gain player.

8. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Menatone KOTB....daylight second

9. bschultzjames

bschultzjames Supporting Member

I'm enjoying the BB-74x from Mr. Black since I received it this week. There are a lot of great marshall tones in it!

[​IMG]

AceBSpankin likes this.
  10. TropicBoy

TropicBoy Member

Finding the "best" MIAB pedal is something I have spent a lot of money on before realizing that, despite some pedals being definitely better then others - in the sense that they got pretty close to the feel and touch of an actual amplifier -, in the end, there is no such thing as one Marshall tone, so it really depends on what you're after and what works best for you.

This is actually great, because the different pedal builders have catered to that with their own take on the Marshall tone. It also allows you to collect a few different MIAB and have the entire tonal palette of Marshall tones.

From my own experimentations, and for the tones I tend to go for, I would second the people who have recommended the Bogner La Grange and the Guru's DoubleDecker... They cover the JTM/Plexi/ModdedPlexi tones really well, and have a very amp-like response, feel, compression and the in-your-face presence that is so typical of what I consider to be the quintessential Marshall tone.

Plugging both of them into a TwoRock and a/b-ing them with a Friedman Dirty Shirley set for that classic Led Zep/ACDC crunch, they seriously delivered the goods.

I really want to try the new Guru SexyDrive MkII now. It is a simplified version of the DoubleDecker apparently.

sanfi4u, guitarobert and Godspeed64 like this.
  11. juri

juri Supporting Member

There’s so many of these and they all sound really, really good. Some of the ones I’ve tried:

- Purple Plexi is wicked, high voltage rock ‘n’ roll, a bit too much for me. Really requires you to use the volume knob on your guitar.
    - The Catalinbread dirty little secret is a great pedal, very versatile EQ section.
    - Dyna Red 4K is on my board right now. I liked the way it clipped and how it works with the other drive pedals on my board. Cleans up in a way I love.

12. jasonk931

jasonk931 Supporting Member

Just recently found the Carl MArtin Stuff. The Plexitone Single has me set. I have gone back and forth to JHS @ pedal and Friedman BE-OD, and Wampler Plexi Deluxe. Carl MArtin PLexitone S nails what I've been looking for...at least this week!

13. jasonk931

jasonk931 Supporting Member

Favorite pedal of all time for a fat channel on your amp sound is the Visual Sound Open Road! Cheap price but wow! Just takes an amp on edge of breakup and sends it into thickness without changing to the tone.

14. Bshecko

Bshecko Member

I’ve been using the Sixty 8 Drive for a few weeks now alongside a Lovepedal Purple Plexi at gigs and it’s working out great. Plexi overload honestly but they’re never on at the same time.

AceBSpankin, friend33 and juri like this.
  15. srt_dude

srt_dude Member

Alexander Jubilee Silver

Defendant likes this.
  16. bdj

bdj Member

Catalinbread DLSIII

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  17. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

18. PvtKingpin

PvtKingpin Member

JHS Charlie Brown V3 -> decent, but (VERY) noisy with Catalinbread Naga Viper. Used the treble booster to get enough gain and brightness going. Cleaned up super well, but the noise was ridiculous. -> Sold both

Rockett The Majestic -> have not played this enough yet. Not much gain, but a much more pleasing midrange than the Charlie Brown.
    They say it's supposed to give you Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won-mojo and as a Led Zep-freak, I will confirm it and take my hat off to Rockett for this pedal. They got the low gain (yes it is, listen to the album), high headroom and general awesomeness of Jimmy Page's tone down pretty good!

First company that came up with 2 drive pedals I immediately liked: this and The Dude.
    Curious what the .45 and new Animal sound like.

friend33 likes this.
  19. Lamby

Lamby Member

I don't recall seeing the Fire Carpe Diem mentioned yet, may have missed it though. Probably my favourite that I've tried.

I'm on the waitlists for a Kingsley Constable and a Trombetta 4Plex - looking forward to trying those.

20. That70'sbro

That70'sbro Member

For someone who is of the snooty opinion that most dirt boxes suck my MXR M77 seems to do the Marshall thing pretty convincingly.

riffy likes this.