Best Marshall in a box I have EVER had is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

There are so many good pedals and it all depends on guitar/pu/amp/speaker as to which one will be exactly right for you.

I've got a HAO Rust Driver, Aya Drivesta, Lovepedal JTM, Jubilee and Purple Plexi. All different and depends on my needs. If I want Paul Kossoff/Thin Lizzy, I kick on HAO, roll of vol knob a hair and I'm there.

But you know I can take this ...
    [​IMG]

Run it into this ...
    [​IMG]

And all those pedals become afterthoughts as far as playing dynamics and real tube grind and compression are concerned.

2 tube gain stages, each with their own gain knob and a full dual mids parametric + dual shelving EQ. Any sound you want is there, you just have to know how to set it up. I've had these 2 for over a decade so controls are 2nd nature to me.

There really is nothing like that 12au7 Cream Machine runs as a power tube soak in v2. Some preamp tubes actually glow blue in that slot just like a power amp tube.

2. reo73

reo73 Member

Just received my La Grange Pedal. Very nice pedal, at higher gain settings it is very similar to my DLS MKIII but it has much more range and interesting tones at medium to lower gain settings.

donnievaz likes this.
  3. bobotwt

bobotwt Member

I thought I was the only one that sees the control layout on the La Grange as a limiting factor. I can't seem to get it where I like it. The controls are so interactive and I find myself wanting to adjust the quality of the sound without there being a way to adjust that parameter.

Josh

Phosphenetre likes this.
  4. Lance

Lance Member

What's on the board right now? Crunch Box. But, I find the Tonebone Hot British to be the ultimately versatile MIAB type pedal ever. I just wish more of the features were foot switchable.

madisonaudio likes this.
  5. Noah

Noah Member

I had the Jubilee and the Princess Clang and thought the PC had more fullness and eq possibilites...Such a great pedal that no one seems to know about!

6. Defendant

Defendant Member

As far as my tastes go I lean more toward the medium gain plexi through to cranked plexi EVH thing. I like a well looked after 800 but thats usually 2 in every 10 you try.

I set up an unused PT2 with most of my MIAB (and similar) pedals a few months back and it was pretty interesting.

The 59DD sounds pretty good for low gain Marshall on one side but the higher gain voicing just had something in the midrange that I didn't enjoy. It sounded like a pedal, whereas the Jubilee (once I set the eq right -took some experimenting) sounded like a real amp. With the Jube I'm not looking for that Jubilee sound -just a medium gain Marshall tone. I usually set the gain halfway (above Malcolm and below Angus gain) and hit it with an EP-Boost to push it up to the lower end of Van Haleny solo gain levels. But it does sound great with the gain cranked.

The 5150 was a surprise -a genuinely good pedal, with a midrange control that works really well in any direction. Works well through all the gain range. It does have a more even midrange than your average MIAB -a nod to the Soldano heritage of the 5150 design, so not a superb choice for Marshall authenticity.

The Bogner Blue does a surprisingly good low gain plexi sound, and in general is a very versatile pedal that sounds great and can be tweaked to most rigs. It has a compressed feel just like the real amp and the more gain you use, the more it sounds like an XTC. But a great pedal that sounds fantastic onstage.

Of course this is all with my particular setup: either a 66 Showman (normal channel, bright switch on) or bass-spec Plexi into greenbacks. Every single one of my pedals sounds great into some amp or other. Though my Bogner Red wins the golden unicorn award of being the only pedal my tweed Victoria deluxe likes.

I was so excited when I saw the first La Grange NAMM proto video with TMB eq. Wish he'd kept it like that. Without it becomes more of a crapshoot, like how a smallbox Plexitone can be killer with one amp and not with another.

Never heard of it. Will look into it!

I run my jube with pretty high bass settings into my 66 Showman and greenbacks. Without the bass at 3 o'clock it sounds AWFUL.

bobotwt and guitarobert like this.
  7. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

I agree, the Princess Clang slays the Jubilee in every respect. Both of the guitarists in my band still rock theirs every show.

Noah likes this.
  8. Madsen

Madsen Member

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

...and ordered.

blackba likes this.
  10. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

Low to med gain...

[​IMG]

Brilliant repro of the Marshall Bluesbreaker...most awesome!

Med to Hi gain...

[​IMG]

Marshally mids for days and maybe the best "brown" sound ever from a pedal!!!

11. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

fwiw: The Carl Martin small box Plexitone does sound different than the bigger version (Most people I know like the large pedal better,I do.)

12. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

Full disclosure (I bet some people are gonna hate this ...but...) I play direct into the PA...
    so when I say the Carl Martin Plexitone (large one) sounds great as a MIAB..thats because I really do depend on it as a MIAB. Im not going into a Clean amp like alot of people do (I totally get that..I used to play thru 2 1965 Fender BF Deluxe Reverbs)...but times change and although I have used real Marshalls..and Real Vintage Oranges..and etc..) I need to play gigs and get the MIAB sound in as small a package as possible. For me, and my set-up, the CM does it better than anything else.......going into a cab sim (Palmer) and then into the PA.

13. atson67

atson67 Member

At the moment I have a zvex distortron and like it through my F style amps. It sounded like crap through my friends jubilee though. I'd love to hear the caliber .45.

Owned/tried BoR, bogner blue, plexidrive, plexitone single, riot, crunch box, original guv'nor and whatnot

14. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Interesting. Do you find the large box plexitone does the upper mids kerrang and toppy rasp that imo is the essence of the classic marshall tone? That’s what seems to be missing from the MIAB’s I’ve tried. I also have a somewhat unusual application - I like to use an MIAB as a front end recording preamp in my DAW (using an IR loader for the cab sound). I have Bias, AT4, and S-Gear, all good products, but they all lack in varying degrees the kerrang and rasp I want.

15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Any chance for a Princess Clang in other colors besides pink?

16. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

My newly acquired ethos twe-1 is an amazing Marshall (trainwreck) style dirt box

17. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

AFAIK Reds try to emulate the high gain stage of a Bogner Ecstacy. And the Ecstacy is a hot-rodded JCM800. Wish I got a Red pedal when GC dumped them this summer for $80.

J.Eric B and slicepaperdavid like this.
  18. Atrain_dlp

Atrain_dlp Member

I just got a La Grange. It’s my first MIAB and it didn’t take me long to dial in a great tone. Really happy with it, we’ll see how it goes in a live setting.

GtrGeorge! likes this.
  19. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I missed the $80 sale. I would have picked one up.

20. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Everyone that recommends the Hot British, are we talking the old tube one or the new solid state one?