Best Marshall in a box I have EVER had is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Dec 1, 2017.

1. shock me

shock me Member

PedalPal FX Gold Overdrive ended my quest.

Beto and Katzenkönig like this.
  2. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

you mean, a RAT after the Boneshaker? I never know what people mean when they say the use a pedal to boost another one. if I choose to use a certain high gain pedal as my main dirt tone, I tend to use another low gain overdrive as a pre-boost.

J.Eric B likes this.
  3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

RAT -> Boneshaker.

4. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Do you find the ST-2 to be noisy?

5. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

You guys that like the LaGrange, what amp are you using? Fenders???

6. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I couldn’t resist any longer - I’ve just ordered a La Grange. I hope it’s as good as you guys say.

I think I’m on a crusade to have owned every MIAB known to man!

7. cutonio

cutonio Member

Is it mid-gain or high-gain ? Does it stack well ? I heard mixed reviews about this one.

8. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

9. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

Not in my book.

10. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Yes, it does. In fact, the Dark Matter and the Mojo Mojo go together very well indeed. You can see that in action at the end of this video:

BenoA likes this.
  11. BenoA

BenoA Member

I really dig my Dark Matter. It has sounded half decent with most amps I've tried it. I bought it first to use my my Mini Ditto but I have used it as a easy to lug around (read fits in the case) pedal to plug anywhere.

I would say you can get from mid to high gain with it but do not expect "extreme high gain". The name of the pedal could somewhat makes you think differently.

I have stacked it with some of my of my OD pedals (TS9, SD1, Spark) with OK results. I have bought yesterday a Mojo Mojo but haven't tried both together yet. Will do today.

Here is a humble recording I have done with it. I got a few thumbs down for this one so you may not like it. Hope it can help.

12. BenoA

BenoA Member

Played my own Santa for Xmas and bought myself a Mojo Mojo (boxing day price was good). :) Had the time to record this quick clip before my son's friend (he is a guitar player) found out about the pedal and borrowed it for a few days.

13. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Personal favorite is still Zvex Distortron (Box of Rock without 2nd boost side).

Have owned DLSIII, LaGrange, Keeley 1962 and 1962x. Biggest disappointment was DLS - really didn’t sound much like a Marshall to me although it’s a fine sounding pedal otherwise. Tried SL and SB both at 9 and 18v - definitely more amp like at 18v but still not close enough to Marshall to justify keeping it. Catalinbread makes some great pedals, but this one doesn’t quite hit the bullseye.

Both 1962’s were fine, but not special. I had the Distortron to compare to both, and it won easily.

LaGrange was also a good pedal, but again, after several hours of tweaking, it never made me say “aha, that’s it”. To be fair, I slightly prefer the sound of JTM45 over SL anyway, so all things being equal, I’m gonna gravitate to the pedal that gives that sound.

Distortron is an instant gratification pedal. It’s not a tweaker, you’ll know instantly if you like it or not. It’s early Hendrix or AC/DC in a box.

My rig is a recording setup, pedal into interface and then into a variety of virtual amps set for a neutral clean tone, plus good IRs. The front end pedal is bigger sounding than a JTM45 model on its own.

xcc and lemonman like this.
  14. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I just won a 1959 DD ...what power supply options do i have and what do you recommend buyi ng to power it up. Currently i'm using a cheapo Pedal pad power supply that's working well for my other pedals...suggestions...cheeers

15. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

PedalPal fx Gold Overdrive just last week knocked my Weehbo JCM Drive off my board. I had been using the Weehbo for years and thought nothing could ever touch it.

I think I'm going to reverb to order the PAL 959!

shock me likes this.
  16. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

So you MUST try these pedals mentioned below:

The 1959 DD is a thing on its own. Sometimes I don't know if it's fair to put it competing with usual pedals.

I love my Weehbo JCM. And while I love both the PAL 800 Gold and the 959 on my board now - I just play at home -, the JCM stays because it's just PERFECT for some songs I've dialed it for - and it's two channels in one pedal!

To summ it up:

Into my Mesa Mark IV combo, 1959 DD, Wheebo JCM, PAL 959, and PAL 800 Gold are the best I've owned according to my ears.

(Disclaimer: I've never played plugged into a real Plexi amp.)

Holzar88 likes this.
  17. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

i bought a different power supply for the 1959 DD so i'm good...cheers

18. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Member

That doesn't make sense. The Guvnor and Drivemaster are the same! Did you get your model names mixed up?

flyonthewall150 likes this.
  19. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Posted this separately before I saw this big MIAB thread, so thought I'd spare everyone a new thread.... :)

Been looking for (I thought) a good always-on MIAB pedal that I could use for gritty OD and then stack with a TS or clean boost to get into a good lead tone.

I got the Catalinbread DLS Mk3 today used on Craiglist and it sounds great but holy cow ... too much gain even on the Super Bass mode. I am running it at 9V and I understand it has more headroom at 18V, but that's not happening right now.

Suggestions for something to kick on whenever I'm looking for a more Marshall'y vibe with my Strat that stacks well but isn't veering into super hard rock? Main amp is a Fender '68 CDR.

20. effectsman

effectsman Member

I'm really interested in the Pedal Pal FX pedals. They seem to be getting good reviews. I'm wondering though why if getting the most authentic plexi tones is simply a matter of using the same circuit schematic as the amp using transistors instead of vacuum tubes (as Pedal Pal FX claims), then why hasn't someone done it before now? Or have they?

indeedido likes this.