Best Marshall in a box I have EVER had is...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I have tried a few. Almost kept my menatone blue collar... had a very early kotb and a 5 knob one.. they sounded great but just a bit too slushy and noisy, prefer the blue collar, felt like i could never get the gain where i liked it but also it broke. Marvel drive was good and better than DLS. DLS sounds great for low gain tones with a strat but its a one trick pony. Marshall drivemaster (old black box) is interesting and "feels" better than the newer fancy pedals. Sold it to buy the FETTO, turned up the bass trimmer inside... nailed it. Good enough. The sonic titan clone I have is on par with the fetto.

Maybe gonna sell the fetto at some point because I am over MIAB. Only things i have mild interest in are the M200 by manlay sound and i have not tried a BOR and they sound great, plus dual function as booster.

tldnr: amps are the new pedals

2. Teleman76

Teleman76 Tubes-a-glowin Silver Supporting Member

Have played just about all mentioned over the years with exception of the Friedman OD pedals. For dynamics and how your pick attack affects the tone the Kingsley Constable can not be touched. Gurus Double Decker probably second place IMO.

Stu Cats and Sloppyfingers like this.
  3. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Having read through the whole thread I observe that LaGrange receives the most acclaim. I have tried quite a few myself, I almost got the La Grange too, even possibly the Gurus as well, but I took the Weehbo road, got amazed by the JCM drive, that with the JHS AT would be my desert island pedals for a while. I recently got a Friedman DS mini, and the Weehbos sound very much transistor-like to me after that. The AT sounds overly middy, soI went back to Pinnacle for hi-gain sounds. All this in home-playing context. I think I am done with buying OD pedals, I will hopefully hold back spending until I can get the actual amps.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I loved the mk1 DLS for its amp like sound and feel.. very amp like, but have loved the EQ and easy stackability of the mk3 a bit more for years now. I love the superbass mode because you can stack fuzz or any other drive into and it sounds amazing.

I have wanted to try the La Grange but it’s a bigger pedal ( strike one ) and I’m not sure if it would stack with other dirt pedals and fuzz pedals as good as the MkIII DLS.

Also what specific Marshall amp does the La Grange mimic and how could it be compared to the mk3 Superbass mode.. from those of you who have owned both?

For what it’s worth the old UK version Marshall Guvnor is a KILLER higher gain dirt pedal.. it easily hangs with the top three miab options here and is overlooked because it’s been around for a while. It sound SO damn natural.

doghouseman and V846 like this.
  5. Mindcrime

Mindcrime Supporting Member

6. SBO

SBO Member

>2017
    >uses pedals

7. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I'm not even sure I should have been chasing a Marshall tone as opposed to a "brown sound". Yeah I get that EVH used Marshalls to achieve said tone, but there was a lot more going on with variacs and different pickups and pedals. My tone quest took me down the MIAB road though.

Here's what I tried:

Rat2 both original and Keeley modded- never did it for me. Tried three different times and ultimately moved them along each time.

ZVex Bocks of Rock- too woofy when the gain went past halfway. Tried this one twice thinking I must have been wrong the first time, same thing. If I was looking for lower gain I might have kept it.

Menatone KOTB 5 knob- nice, but ultimately lacked upper register presence. Sold it, but I should have stayed on the Menatone train and tried the 6 and 7 knob versions.

Ibanez Tube King - nice, and it had the presence that the KOTB lacked, but fell short compared to it's replacement. This one I do kind of regret selling.

MI Audio Crunchbox Version 1 and 2- Almost dead on JCM 800 gain range and kind of captured the feel. Version 1 was a little too bassy and when you cranked up the tone to compensate it fell apart a bit. It also had a very touchy level control. I'd still be using the Version 2 because MI fixed those issues fairly successfully, but ultimately it's a one trick pony. Very good trick mind you. I moved version 1 along but was always looking for a version 2 thinking that it might work better. It did, and I still have it in the gear vault, but not currently on a pedalboard.

Hermida Mosferatu- Vaguely Marshallish, but more of it's own thing. I kept it for a longtime after I pulled it off my pedalboard, but because I could get a similar tone with higher gain settings on my Zendrive the Zen stayed and the Mosferatu was sold.

MI Audio Tube Zone- This one might have been a keeper. Maybe not pure Marshall, but pretty close. I played this one through the clean channel of my EL-34 Shiva and compared it to the dirty channel and found that of all the dirt pedals I had in the house at the time that was the only one close. Kind of a complicated pedal though, and wasn't going to work for me at the time, so I sold it. Not 100% sure that was the right move.

Montreux Knebworth- this was right in my wheelhouse gain wise and definitely had the Marshall presence and a bit of the feel. Actually pretty close for a pedal. It had an independent boost that could mess you up on stage if you left it on but turned off the other side of the pedal. All of a sudden you tone goes from nicely saturated way too loud and clean. It's super well crafted and not something I'd sell unless I was certain I'd never need it again. I lives in the gear vault, but could find it's way onto a backup pedalboard at some point.

Wampler Pinnacle Limited- This is the pedal that I currently have on my main pedalboard. It almost went back to the store while I was playing at home, as it's a bit hard to dial in. Is it Marshally? Yeah sure, but maybe it's more in the EVH hotrodded plexi camp than say a straight up JMP played loud. It got a nice boost to give you extra saturation for leads. I've been gigging with it for about two years now, and while I'm always looking for the next thing, I haven't found anything that made me want to take it off of my board.

Xotic SL- I bought this when I was on a mini pedals kick. Nice pedal it seems to be in the cranked Super Lead camp. I could see myself integrating it into a main pedalboard, but currently it's on my grab and go mini board.

Catalinbred DLS2- Nice pedal, a little too polite maybe, but it does stack very well. I keep it around as a backup at the moment.

BluesBUSTER and Cruciform like this.
  8. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

9. wetordry

wetordry Member

Still like the sl drive.

10. MajorDude

MajorDude Member

JHS Angry Charlie for me...still have my (big box) CM Plexitone, gathering dust in the closet...

AC >>> Marshall Vintage Modern
    AC >>> Fargen Olde 800

11. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

If you want the brown sound Eddie Van Halen JCM 800 tone then a v2 Angry Charlie is the best, imho.

Many of these miab suggestions are going for very different sounding Marshall amps..

I bet that Fargen 800 sounds killer.

12. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

I've had the Catalinbred DLS, the MI Super CrunchBox, Joyo Ultimate Drive, Joyo US Dream, Radial Tonebone, Barber Direct Drive, Basic Audio Shore Bird. The one I've kept around is the DOD Gunslinger. I would love to compare it with a La Grange.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  13. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Member

My Xotic SL Drive is the closest I've ever heard to a Marshall tone. This is with an R7 into a Two Rock Studio 50/15 or with a CS-336 into a Milkman One Watt Plus. The thing just slays. For leads, I just add the SP Compressor or a JHS AT Angry Charlie. The JHS has way too many lows on tap to even be in the same sizzling league as the SL Drive. It's a total keeper and well priced!

wetordry likes this.
  14. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

+1 original Marshall Guv'nor

Springfieldscooter likes this.
  15. jape

jape Member

At some point I would love to pick up a MIAB pedal to try. Every time I have done a little research, I quickly realize there are so damned many options.

Like a few other people commented - the amp you use makes a big difference. It would be interesting to have everyone who made a recommendation also tell us a little about their set-up or at least what style of amp they have / had. I wonder if we would start to see some trends - i.e. certain pedals are better at getting a marshall sound with a small fender-style amp while others are better when used with a clean marshall-style amp or other, etc?

Add to this - some people are looking for a cranked JTM45 sound, others are looking for a hot-rodded JCM800. Yeah - no wonder we so many different responses.

DIECHEATO, burner, Rogan1990 and 2 others like this.
  16. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

17. 6strang

6strang Silver Supporting Member

JRAD Animal
    Bogner LaGrange
    Wampler PlexiDrive
    Marvel Drive V3 18 volt
    Friedman Dirty Shirley
    JHS Timmons
    XTS Atomic Overdrive

johnh likes this.
  18. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

How's the TC Electronic Dark Matter compared to these other pedals? The vids I've seen make it seem like a wonderful pedal, no audible harshness, at least not to my ears.

BenoA likes this.
  19. effectsman

effectsman Member

This is what I like to see. Not just what amp you play your MIAB through, but also what you’ve tried and owned before settling on your current fave. I tend to give more weight to people’s opinion who have tried and owned a lot of MIABs.

mix2much and Daren Anderson like this.
  20. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

A Guvnor is a fine pedal
    But a MIAB it is not. It was never even intended to be that.
    It is a transparent mild overdrive boost pedal
    However the drive master out of that series that came along shortly after the guvnor was/is one of the best MIAB's ever.