Best "Marshall In A Box" Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Double 07, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Power that OCD at 18v for maximum awesome! Gives it more depth and headroom; hard to describe; other than; to me, sounds way better at 18v instead of at 9v..

Also; try putting a tube screamer after the OCD to act as boost and tone shaper. Gives more impact post OCD; as opposed to before. I just got a mini Tube Screamer; I love it! Sooo tiny. I have a Keeley modded TS9 too; they can be dialed in similar; the Keeley mod has something additional in the gain range; but the mini is quite impressive for the size!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I just joined because I am now MIAB pedal curious. LOVE my Friedman BE-OD and I can't afford to buy a bunch of amps, so why not try these kind of pedals for a bit! I've put most mentioned on this thread on my wishlist, this is pretty damn fun I must say.

3. Humoelectrico

Humoelectrico Member

I found a ZVEX Box of Rock 3 months ago in Latin America for $80 and decided to buy it based on yt reviews. No regrets, it’s definitely a keeper if you want this classic JTM Marshally distortion with no huge low end. But... I just got today a Marshall “The Guv’nor” MK1 (England) and this is by far the best Marshall in a box pedal I’ve ever tried. Crunchy endless tone since it’s built-in eq is dynamic, very responsive and cool vintage look.

big jilm likes this.
  4. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I have tried a few, and liked most.
    All opinions are with my hands, an SG, and a Badger 30 (or Carr Mercury V for the Marvel and BOR).

Catalinbread DLSIII: Great sounding pedal that can be switched between SL and SB modes. I kept it on SL, and it did a great job sounding like an old Reinhardt Storm (SL) I had. More gain than a SL.

MI Audio Crunchbox: Higher gain, brighter than the DLS. Crunchy sounding thing. Ended up sounding too artificial for me, a bit too thin.

Carl Martin Plexitone (big version): This one excited me - I wanted to love it. At band volume, it sounded thin and small. One gig and it as gone.

Bogner La Grange: Great pedal. Probably the best one I have tried. Early ZZ Top through early VH (to my ear). Loved the tweakability, nice boost as well. Very amp-like, as it cleaned up with the volume knob better than the ones I mentioned previously. Highly recommended.

Ramble FX Marvel Drive 3: If I wanted a great no-nonsense small box hard rock Marshall pedal, this is the one. Fantastic sounds from later AC/DC to VH. A little thin on the low end for me, but for that sound it works. Highly recommended.

ZVEX Box Of Rock: Of all of them, this is the one that works for me. Lower gain Marshall sounds - AC/DC etc. Retains low end, which is why I dig it. Pedals like drives and fuzzes work great into the front of this one, and the SHO boost after the BOR channel gives a great volume boost for solos. I bought it on a whim after trying the Plextortion and JHS Angrie Charlie at GC one day. It beat them both for sounding and feeling like an actual amp, to my hands and ear. Fuller sounding. If I had known I would have liked it so much, I would have gone with the Double Rock for versatility. As it stands, the BoR is my foundation pedal for lower volume playing.

johnh likes this.
  5. Kalrykh

Kalrykh Member

You want to make people **** themselves?