Best "Marshall In A Box" Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Double 07, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Wampler plextortion and pinnacle are my favorites. I also have a super plextortion I like as well, modern sounding.

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Wampler Pinnacle or Plextortion.

3. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

English Muff'n is tasty. The low end is thick and punchy. The high end is razor sharp and has to be rolled back practically to zero. Supposedly an old Marshall preamp type circuit in there. Fun for rollin' tubes too.

[​IMG]

4. chaz498

chaz498 Member

Mi Audio Crunchbox originally, but Wampler Plexi-drive (lower gain) and Suhr Riot kicked it off the board.

jrockbridge likes this.
  5. 8len8

8len8 Member

+1. Just search "marshall" in the effects forum and you'll see a million posts on the subject.

6. sg7964

sg7964 Member

7. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

Carl Martin Plexitone(the big one), Bogner Extasy Blue/Red.

rickybuzz likes this.
  8. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Love the Keeley DS-1 ...

leonard d rock likes this.
  9. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

10. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

And don't ignore the Jetter Gold 45/100. Designed to sound coincidentally like a 45/100!

11. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I tried several Wamplers, BOR, Bogner Blue, Plexitone, and ending up keeping just a Boss ST-2 Power Stack on the board believe it or not. I do a few tricks with it though to smooth it out, being a Wampler EGO compressor and the smaller MXR EQ in front of the ST-2. I also typically keep the gain at 1/4 to 1/3 but no more. It is a surprisingly amp like pedal that cleans up decently by working the guitar knobs and also responds well to variations in pick attack and intensity. Also sustain and controlled feedback swells are also very amp like. It's quite tight in the low end, which great for power chords. I've owned about 10 Vintage Marshalls over the last few decades including two '68 Plexis so I know the Marshall feel well. Some other pedals capture the sound decently, however most just don't feel right or respond like an amp when you vary the guitar knobs or your pick attack. Interestingly it's a digital pedal, but whatever…it works IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    scriptphase and 55 Jr like this.
  12. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

I just got a Jetter Gain Stage Purple (GSP) and it does the Marshall thing really well, I'd put it in the old (late 60's-early 70's) 50W territory. I've had a Jetter Red Shift that has the Purple (Shift) circuit in it, and the Red Square which also has the Purple Shift circuit in it. I went for the GSP since that was the sound I liked best in the other two Jetter pedals.

The Red Square ships out tomorrow and I compared it's Red Shift to the GSP tonight and the latter sounds better to me, warmer and slightly bigger sound, more bottom end more satisfying to play IMO. The GSP is not in production any more but you can find them used for around $100.

13. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

NOT. )) :D

jchan and ziobrandy like this.
  14. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Carl Martin Plexitone, the three button one. It's the most amplike pedal I've ever tried in terms of response, and it nails the old school Marshall sound

rickybuzz likes this.
  15. Catthan

Catthan Member

Both Plexitones andWampler pinnacle are the ones that I've tried and liked them all with the 3-button PT being the best for me.
    DLS III was horrible...

The Boss ST2 is also on my radar along with the Marvel Drive.

16. johan

johan Member

17. kbgear

kbgear Member

I'm surprised the excellent Barber Compact Direct Drive hasn't been mentioned, or the Love Pedal Purple Plexi. To me these are the killer Marshally pedals.

18. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I've owned most of the pedals mentioned here with the DLS being the biggest let down.

To me the Carl Martin Plexi Tone (3 button) and the Boss ST-2 worked the best. Like somebody else mentioned, the trick with the ST-2 is to keep the gain knob low or noise will creep in. Gain low, level high gets a nice plexi tone. As you inch the gain up--you go into JCM800 land.

19. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I love my MI Audio Crunchbox. Awesome pedal for hot-rod Marshall sounds. Not overly compressed, which is it's strength.

ziobrandy likes this.
  20. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Weehbo JCM, JVM, JMP Drives. Simply outstanding pedals.

Bradleyonmic likes this.