Best "Marshall In A Box" Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Double 07, Jan 15, 2014.

1. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

These have a sorted history, so the only way you can get one is used.

Its a bit more complex than a standard stomp box and realistically not that practical, but hands down the best OD/distortion I've owned and even rivals the OD of the best amps I've ever played. Pedal wise, I've had everything from OCD and Wampler to BJFE and Cornish. Amp wise, I like the OD as much as the drive from a Bludotone I currently own. It gives me late 60s early 70s Marshall through the clean channel and truly feels like having two amps in one.

The Gjika is amazing.

2. copperhead

copperhead Member

Crunch box .......I also have the Catalinbread DLS MKIII & even though its a stellar stackable pedal the Crunchbox sounds more like a hot wired Marshall amp

3. Trobbins3

Trobbins3 Silver Supporting Member

Wampler Plexi Drive gets it brown.

4. Floridaplayer

Floridaplayer Member

[​IMG]

Bogner, I've owned the others. This is your answer.

5. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

There are so many MIB pedals that sound the part, but most don't feel or react like the amp at all IMHO. I played a '68 plexi Superlead 100 as my main amp (with no pedals period) for over a decade, and I really appreciate the totally usable clean to mean range these amps give via simply working the guitar knobs. I have yet to find a pedal that really captures this kind of control from the guitar, though some are getting closer. That most make me think the designers never even thought about this aspect. That said, I've tried several of the Wamplers, the full size Plexitone, BOR, Bogner Blue and Wessex, some of the Jetters, and the surprisingly decent (IF you keep the gain low) Boss TS-2 Powerstack. Currently the Rockett Animal get's my vote, though I stack it with a Wampler Ego compressor and a 6 band MXR EQ.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    LeicaBossNJ and ChampReverb like this.
  6. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I thought the OCD did a pretty good Marshall. Thats one of the reasons I got rid of mine. I like the Marshall sound but not really for ne.

7. 80sboy

80sboy Member

tone city golden plexi

8. PFunk

PFunk Member

The Ecstacy Blue gets me what I need, though I'd like to try the Red sometime.

9. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

+1
    I've tried and owned a few of the other pedals mentioned in this thread, including the Crunchbox, and I am really a fan of the Plimsoul in front of a "scooped" sounding amp (typical Blackface Fender sound), as it definitely brings the extra mids that are need. Cool pedal, kind of like a cross between a Tubescreamer (smooth distortion) and a Rat (biting, harder-edged distortion) with the ability to adjust the amount of each type of distortion (smooth vs. harder-edged).

In front of a clean Marshall or other type of amp with more mids, I like the OCD. It is more neutral-sounding (no mid bump like the Plimsoul), and has a nice amp-like feel.

I admit that I'm not into pedals that much, but these two cover my distortion pedal needs nicely. They are built well, priced right, have true bypass, are compact, and most importantly, sound good.

10. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I just picked up a DLSIII. I am amazed at how well it reacts to guitar control changes, and it stacks really well. I like it best with yhe gain really low, it cleans right up with the guitar's volume and gets slightly beyond AC/DC crunch with the guitar full up.

11. straightblues

straightblues Member

For my Marshall type tones, I use the Ema ReezaFRATzitz. While it might not be a direct clone of Marshall, it puts me in Marshall land and sounds better than any pedal I have ever tried trying to capture the feel and tones of a vintage higher gain amp.

12. fandango01

fandango01 Member

JHS Angry Charlie...Wampler Pinnacle

13. jdel77

jdel77 Member

Kingsley.
    High voltage through tubes into a clean amp.
    The Jouster kills for this.

14. BMX

BMX Member

The key to an MIAB pedal is having a closed back cabinet with celestion style speakers. If you're trying to get it to sound good through an open back cab you'll only get so far. I play a tophat ambassador 50 (beefy 50 watt fender 2x12 open back) and a wampler plextortion and while it sounded great it never quite got to where I wanted it to go.

15. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

I've tried a few (and have posted this before anyway) but here's my experience thus far:

OCD = Not even remotely Marshall-like.

Plextortion = Excellent for heavier gain (JCM800), but really pretty poor with the gain at anything less than 2/3 of the way up. I wanted something that had a range of flavours, so it had to go.

DLS III = Much better, even if it didn't have as much gain. I thought it sounded much better at low 'home' volume than at band/gig volume (where it got a bit mushy and indistinct for my taste). I've heard that at 18v it is better, but since I jsut have one 9v daisy chain it really wasn't for me.

Bogner Blue = I love it, and it is always on for me. That said, I don't think it sounds Marshally at all (at least not the way I run it). It is a keeper, but doesn't fill the MIAB hole for me.

Weehbo JCM LTD = This is what I currently have, and I'm thrilled. I think it sounds great, feels great, responds to the guitars volume very well and covers a really broad range of Marshall sounds (from JTM45 to JCM800). The really great thing about this one is the EQ section, which is active....you can EQ up just about anything, which makes it really easy to get exactly what you want.

16. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

My experience with the DLS was very similar. The new Menatone The King (which apparently replaces the King of The Britains as his MIAB pedal) is similar enough to me but solves the downsides, a bit more gain and better at higher volume (the DLS sounds creamier at low volume while the King gets fuller at higher volume working together with your amp and speakers).

17. grantster

grantster Member

Many great options out there!

These are some of the ones I own and use

Stephenson Amps Stage Hog- sounds awesome into an amp as a pedal, or can use it to run a cab at up to 1 watt (the ultimate power scaled bedroom amp). Killer pedal, for some reason the concept confuses people.
    Wampler- plexdrive etc, excellent marshall pedals
    Mi audio- cool pedal
    Rothwell Hellbender- love it thru tweed amps
    carl martin plexitone- great pedal that is very versatile

Some pedals also work better with certain guitars and amps.

my 2 cents

grant

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Menatone King of the Britians the seven knob version. This one behaves more like an old Marshall it has the bass and good going just like a Marshall would. It's also very dynamic with lots of eq options. Herad all of these and they aren't quite as amp like, some not even close - Brownie, Super Crunchbox, DLS, OCD, Bearfoot Dyna Red.

Right now I have a Dyna Red, and Super Crunchbox, the Crunchbox brings the bootalz but sounds more pedal like, the Dyna was slightly easier to dial up and smaller, otherwise i'd still have the Menatone.

19. modernp

modernp Member

Super Crunch Box.

20. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Bogner Red. Most fun pedal I have ever played and sounds like every Marshall tone I have ever wanted.