• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Marshall pedal for Hendrix?

JimiZeppelin

Hey guys, I'm in the search for a Marshall type pedal. I play a lot of Hendrix, and blues in general, and I'd like this to be my always on pedal, so I need to know, which MIAB pedal is best for stacking a fuzz face and a vibe? I know the super bass setting on the DLS is supposed to be great for stacking, but I'd like to hear from the experiences of others. I'll be running the pedal through a blues deluxe (non reissue) by the way

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Plexi-Drive Deluxe - Does the "Pretty" Hendrix stuff and will dirty up if needed. I like that it preserves note definition and harmonic content. ;) I keep mine ON and feed it with a DLSIII when I want more gain. :D

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the DLS MkIII was kinda stiff dynamically and got lost in a band mix when trying to make low note runs pop by picking harder ...but I know a lot of people like them.

I really wanted to like it too.

-bEn r.

JimiZeppelin

thanks for the replies. The Bogner blue is too expensive for me, but the last time I checked my local gc they had a box of rock, so I'll see if I can test that out if they have a fuzz face I can run it with.

annostyle

I've had countless Marshall type OD pedals and the two that have stayed around are the Box of Rock and Bogner Blue. Box of Rock gets you that early JTM45 era tone with hefty bottom end. Bogner Blue gives a little tighter Plexi era tones. Both are the most dynamic drive pedals I've tried, and have that authentic feel under the fingers. Here's a secret, these pedals have to be loud in order to really hear their dynamic content. At bedroom levels, you wont "hear" what they are doing. Turn the pedal volume up loud, dial your gain in for a nice medium crunch, then roll back your volume on your guitar to about 7. That's the secret rock sauce.

JimiZeppelin

everybody who mentioned the box of rock: is it true that it crackles when you adjust some of the knobs? It's not a deal breaker, it's just annoying

Chandyland

Supporting Member
I'm looking to get a Marshall type tone without having to drop a huge sum of money on a Marshall amp
Wouldn't it make more sense to sell the amp you have to buy something closer to a Marshall sound? I'm only asking because the idea of having an "always on" pedal tells me you don't need the base sound of your current amp.

And no, I wouldn't recommend dropping a huge sum of money on a Marshall. The name alone commands way too much money.

JimiZeppelin

Wouldn't it make more sense to sell the amp you have to buy something closer to a Marshall sound? I'm only asking because the idea of having an "always on" pedal tells me you don't need the base sound of your current amp.

And no, I wouldn't recommend dropping a huge sum of money on a Marshall. The name alone commands way too much money.
when I said "always on" I didn't necessarily mean I'll never turn the pedal off, I probably should've clarified that a little better. I do like the way my amp sounds, it has great cleans, but when I'm not playing it at stage volumes, I want to be able to get a nice natural overdrive that I can still get a great fuzz tone with, as well as giving me more versatility with what tones I can get out of my amp

johnh

I can confirm that a really good MIAB through a Fender amp sounds better, and more Marshally than many Marshall amps. Plus, you can always switch the pedal off and have Fender cleans, which no Marshall can do.

Trending Topics