best marshall sound out of ac30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by outoftune, Mar 7, 2006.

1. outoftune

outoftune Member

wondering what would be the best pedal to get a good marshall sound distortion out of an ac30? thinkin about crunch box... jeckyl & hyde.... other?

2. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Look for something with a bass control since the AC30 is going to be bright and chimey.

I use a Xotic BB with my GoldTone 2x12 EL84 amp and it does a really nice impersonation of a Marshall JCM800 half stack.

The Jeckyl & Hyde does the scooped mid thing better. It also has really nice punch. Doesn't have the articulation/clarity of the BB though.

John

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Crunch Box sounds great through my EL84 based Star

4. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

5. Antero

Antero Member

While I am very much aware of the essential silliness of "How do I get my X to sound like Y?" questions, maybe the dude has an AC30 and would like to be able to drag a more Marshally sound out of it every once in a while, without dropping the cash and space on a new amp? I know my gear budget, for sure, is just slightly more than strings.

Filthy likes this.
  6. Ken

Ken Member

Barber Direct Drive!

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Crunch Box...
    The only pedal I've ever heard that makes an amp sound like a screaming Plexi...and then some...
    Steve

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Crunch box would be great I bet. The Barber DD is a good one too,

just for more flavors I'd suggest you look into a Keeley Rat. It sounds even better as the #2 in a stacked setup. It's more of a late 70's to 80's modern marshall sound though AC/DC ish.

9. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Steve,

You're a big fan of Michael's pedals, right? I love the crunch box. How would you compare and contrast the tube zone and the crunch box? Thanks

Josh

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

+1 georgeandleo. Buy a freakin Marshall-I did! The tube configuration is so different-I believe a Vox is a Class A and the preamp tube configuration is way different-my amp tech explained this to me but it was about 6 feet over my head, plus EL-84's are different than an EL-34, something about the pins and plates? Really though the Vox is known and does its thing beautifully but to get a Marshall tone you need a 100 plexi and a good big box cab pushing a lot of power tubes into oblivion!

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

V-Stack Classic likely your best bet (other than a Marshall amp).

12. snod_ix

snod_ix Member

These have the "Ha-Kunk" as Tom Betteni says.....I currently play an original blues deville and love the nice fender clean tone i get from it. On my pedal board I have a ts-9 for general overdrive purposes, but for a really nice heavier tone. I like the JH-1. Plus I picked it up for like 25 bucks at my local music store.

13. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

Hotcake.

Either version will do the job. Just depends on what type of Marshall sound your after.

14. jdawg666

jdawg666 Member

15. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

Sure you can buy a Marshall, but you'll lose the Vox chime, and I find it waaay easier to get a pedal that gets a Vox into Marshall territory than the other way around. In fact, my tonal recipe lately has been playing a clean Class EL-84, with a transparent OD to get driven Vox tones, and a Marshall in a box pedal for full on distortion.

I've had good luck with the following:

Xotic BB preamp
    MI Audio Crunch Box (version 1)
    Ibanez Tube King
    Menatone KOTB (5 knob)

Note that with the exception of the Crunchbox, all the other pedals on the list have a bass control of some sort. The Crunchbox just had enough bass to counteract the inherent thinness in the lower register that is common with most EL-84 based amps.