Best Martin Dreadnought type under $2000

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by SGFan, Jul 16, 2006.

1. SGFan

SGFan Member

Can annyone reccommend the best Martin type guitar under two grand? Standard size, rosewood or Mahogany back, Adirondack top. Sloped or non sloped shoulder. I'm looking for a great playing acoustic with a great feeling neck and a nice balanced sound with good projection.

2. usc96

usc96 Member

I bought a DC16-GTE (mahogany and Sitka spruce) last Wednesday and haven't been able to put it down. It has electronics (which you may or may not want), and it was still 40% less than the not more than price you gave.

You should be able to get a D18 or D16R for that price, but I'm not sure about the Adirondack top (at least on an actual Martin) at that price.

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=z&g=h&m=D-18

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=z&g=h&m=D-16R

3. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

under $2000 will get you pretty far.

I would suggest checking out a D-28. Nice RW back and sides with a nice spruce top. not sure about the adirondack, but nevertheless the guitar is one of the nicest dreadnoughts i've played. if it hadn't been for gibson releasing a CS hummingbird, i probably would've picked one of these up.

For a little less, you could go with the D-18, which is their mahogany dreadnought. also a great guitar, but won't give you the projection that the D-28 will. come to think of it, it'll be hard to really get both projection and balance from just one of these. the D-18 will give you a more balanced tone because of the mahogany, and the D-28 will give you some great projection, but with a little more emphasis on the bass because of the RW. still, they are both excellent acoustics. check em both out.

4. SGFan

SGFan Member

Thanks for the help. I actually am looking for one without onboard electronics, so maybe the D-28 is the way to go.

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

D-18 or D-28 are good choices...BUT...they have Sitka Spruce tops...not Adirondack.

Martin doesn't have anything available, not new anyway, with an Adirondack Spruce top in that price range.

6. fender23

fender23 Member

FWIW - I have an OM-42, which would be outside your pricing parameters, but I post this to say that it has the sitka spruce with indian rosewood - and they sound GREAT together IMHO. The only variable is that the OM-42 may come with a higher graded sitka top than, say, a D-28 (I've never used the flashlight and mirror routine to see how my top is marked) but nonetheless don't overlook the sitka in lieu of adirondack, alpine or englemann. It makes nice music.:dude

7. SGFan

SGFan Member

I really don't think I would be able to discern enough of a difference between sitka and adirondack to justify another thousand dollars.

8. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Buffalo Bros has a D-16 with an Adirondack top for under 2k. Worth looking into.

9. SGFan

SGFan Member

I'll check it out

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

11. jayn

jayn Member

If you like big necks with a soft V, you can't beat the D-18GE which is available for a little under $2000 if you look around.

If you like medium necks with a V, the HD-28V and D-18V are super guitars for the money.

If you like a low profile neck, I'd go with a regular HD-28.

It also depends on what you are using it for. And, try a few...Martin has improved in QC, but not all are great.

12. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

13. SGFan

SGFan Member

HD-28V sounds like a winner, I'll have to check it out. Thanks a lot!

14. elambo

elambo Member

HD-28V is my favorite Martin at any price.

15. pm250

pm250 Member

I have to agree with the HD28V. I just got a brand new one from My Favorite Guitars in Florida for not much more than $2000. I had it shipped to the UK with no problems. Give Jon Garon a call there,he`s super helpful and I`m really pleased with my purchase.He had a used one there at the time also so that maybe worth looking into if he`s still got it.
    Paul

16. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Forget martin's. There not worth if for the price you pay. I have a simon and patrick which is basicly a martin copy ($800 can.) that plays great and is very even sounding. I don't have a want for a martin at all, even if it was given to me, I'd sell it. Give s+p a look.

17. SGFan

SGFan Member

I'm going to try and go to Mandolin Brothers in one of the enxt few weekends and try out some of their HD28V's. Will update on what I find.

18. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

You should be able to find a used Santa Cruz D/PW for under $2K.

Bryan

19. stucker

stucker Member

I agree with jayn that the D-18GE is a great sounding guitar. Everyone I've played was fantastic and that's not true for most new Martins. I don't think you can find a new one for 2K though.

20. suttree

suttree Member

+1 on the santa cruz. i have an OM/PW i'd put up against any guitar on the planet, no questions. should be within spitting range of 2k. one of the finest guitars around.