best master volume amp for low volume plaiyng

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gigino, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Gigino

Gigino Member

best master volume amp for low volume plaiyng. Something you can use at home

2. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

What is best? I have no idea. I can say this, I have a Two Rock Custom that sounds pretty freaking incredible with the wife and child updstairs awake, but not disturbed by the volume levels. For wife and child asleep, it is workable but it does lose its magic at that low a volume.

cmn

3. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

My Peters amp (www.PetersAmps.com) has a killer Master
    Volume. I seems to sound very full when way down, and just
    becomes more dynamic as it goes up.

I'm very happy with my dual channel.

I wish I could afford pick up another with different preamps!

4. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Nowadays, many of the better amps have great Master Volumes (or other form of attenuation). - Two Rock, VHT, Fuchs, Aiken, THD, etc.
    You need to figure out what style amp you want, then you can find one with a great low volume sound.

5. Randy

Randy Member

All of the Two Rocks I've owned had exceptional master volumes. So do my SLO and Makoplex. The best MV I've ever used though is on my Uberschall. Incredibly huge tone that can go from crushing to fat and woody at any volume.

The one high gain amp whose MV disappointed me was a Splawn Quickrod. It needed some volume to open up.

6. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Maven Peal - not Master Volume - Wattage Control / Sag Control

I haven't tried em yet but I have one coming, Stephenson (uses Power Scaling)

My Sommatone's Master Volume is VERY good.

I had an Alessandro which had good Master Volume - but one draw back was that I had to switch a lot of setting to get the same sound at the different ends of the Master Volume spectrum

7. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

You didn't say it had to be a tube amp, but I'm guessing that's what you're talking about? :D

If not, I'll take an SS or modeling amp or the guitarport ($99.00) any day for low volume playing.

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Another vote for the SLO at low volumes with the master. Just make sure you have the depth mod to compensate on the low end.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Shiva seems to deliver quite well at those low volumes.

10. LaXu

LaXu Member

I'll give my vote to Power Scaling. I've got a Stephenson LJ-10 with it and it retains dynamics and tone much better than attenuators or any other amp mastervolume I've tried.

11. pluto

pluto Member

+1!! I've owned a lot of master volume amps, and the Uberschall by far was the best at sounding great at any volume. In contrast, I thought the Shiva needed to be really opened up to sound good whereas the 100B and 101B was good, but not great in terms of having a good master volume. Mark Cameron's Aldrich mod also sounds killer at any volume too.

12. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

13. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

Admittedly I haven't used the other amps mentioned so far, but the Guytron I'm using has a slaved power amp section for real power tube OD before the MV, so it is designed around the idea of getting true amp overdrive at any volume. The limiting factor is driving speakers hard enough to contribute to the quality of the OD, but that is true with any amp.

14. grantster

grantster Member

+1 for Power scaling. It can be installed on any tube amplifier. I played a 100 watt marshall that was power scaled at television volume and got a great cranked tone. Master volume does not even come close. I have seen it installed on supers, bassmans, marshalls, boogies. Works awesome. I am sold on it.

15. m1911

m1911 Member

Dr.Z Maz 18 Junior!