Best matched stereo condensers for the money

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

Can anyone recommend a good brand that's available at the moment. I'm looking into matched stereo condenser mics for recording jams in my home rehearsal space. I'll place the mics apart in stereo to get an overall room sound.
    From what I read once the Eastern block countries make the best ones going.

Thanks

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

The Oktava 012s are available in matched pairs, and sound very good, though for your situation, you don't really need a matched set, so why pay extra for them?

$99 each at places like Guitar Center. Matched sets are usually not available at GC, but are available here for $426:

http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php

I was lucky to find one of the last matched pairs that GC had a few months ago, but you might check a store near you, as they say. My matched pair at GC was indeed factory-matched, and I got them on sale for $250-ish.

3. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

For anything other than the most discriminating classical recording, matched pairs aren't really necessary.

Try and find some MK-012s at GC - I've used several pairs of "grab two off the shelf" pairs and have found their consistency to be just fine. If GC doesn't have them, try E-Bay.

Huge bang for the buck.

Loudboy

4. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    ...or if you want to spend some money, I sugggest the Audix scx-25 they will ship in pairs called the piano kit. If you wanna spend even more, a pair of DPA -4011 might do the trick.

You do get what you pay for!

5. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

I just picked up a matched set of Oktava 012s at GC Hollywood for $249 out the door. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but based on reviews here and elsewhere it seemed like a good investment.

6. LSchefman

>>You do get what you pay for!<<

To a degree, yes. The DPAs are the successors to the B&K mics, and they're quite nice for lots of things. I still use a pair of B&Ks for piano and overheads, super nice mics.

But for the money, it's really hard to beat the Oktavas. In fact, they're a huge bargain, and are an exception to the above rule.

Moreover, for the intended application, they're plenty of mic.

7. Greggy

Greggy Member

On a related note, you may want to review a mic placement book for popular stereo micing practices. Usually, stereo mics are placed very close if not touching to capture a stereo field. Coincident pair and X Y configurations are an example. By spreading the mics far apart, you may introduce severe phase problems that will weaken the mix.

Maybe some of our more experienced members will chime in.

8. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i got my Rode NT5 pair for $299 from Interstate Music. dont think they're offering them at that price anymore, but i'm sure Ebay will turn something up.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> By spreading the mics far apart, you may introduce severe phase problems that will weaken the mix.

That can happen, but if you do it right it's a useful technique. I've used omnis & cardioids spaced far apart to capture room reflections. I know other people who have used them spaced far apart at live shows, onstage or in the audience. IMO that technique works well for a broad sound in a big space. I don't know about jams in the basement...

>> i got my Rode NT5 pair for $299 from Interstate Music.

There ya go, something like that.

11. Brusco

Brusco Member

Thanks everyone for the micing tips and info. The Oktava 012s sound like the mics I've been looking for. I'll try calling my local GC and see what they have in stock. I couldn't deal with their website. That's the worst runaround I ever got on a website.. just plain frustrating!

12. straticus

straticus Member

Just one more vote for the Oktava 012's.

BC :)

13. Scribe

Scribe Guest

Listen to the man--

Spreading the mics apart and just about anything other than XY, ORTF or MS miking technique only appears to work because you are not listening to the recording on a balanced system that images properly (most consumer stereos).

XY consists of orienting the capsules so they are stacked on top of each other pointing inward at 135 degrees. Here's the spec for the ORTF method along with the same mics I used almost exclusively for this sort of recording:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.burmajster/O.htm

I would go with this technique for the best results.

14. straticus

straticus Member

Very cool link .......... thanks!

Would ORTF be good for miking drums along with a snare and kick mic?

.... and where can I get one of those mounting brackets?

BC :)

15. Brusco

Brusco Member

I picked up some MK012's at GC for $99 each and they sound great. These are exactly what I was looking for. Right now I'm working on getting them placed for best performance. Radio shack sells a 5/8" flange (item# 33-332). I'm thinking of mounting two of them to a piece of wood that I can mount on the ceiling. It's the quickest most inexpensive solution I came up with for now. I'll keep the ORTF config. in mind when mounting the flanges. A mobile stand with a boom would probably be the smartest setup but it would be in the way too.

Does anyone know which capsule the single capsule set comes with? Mine included the -10 db but I'm not sure if the single capsule included is the cardioid or the omni or hypercardioid. If anyone has all three capsules maybe they can elaborate on the sonic differences.

16. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

Most likely the cardioid - is there a pattern on the capsule?

I've never used the -10 thingie, but I've heard that it adversely effects the sound.

Loudboy

17. Scribe

Scribe Guest

I used to use these guys when I was in the recording business in 1992 and they are first rate. Not only is all their stuff good but they know what they're talking about. They'll have any of the special adapters needed.

The adapter needed for the ORTF is a simple gizmo that screws onto the end of a normal mic stand and it can be used for XY or even Mid-Side configuration also.

http://www.micworks.com

18. LSchefman

>>Does anyone know which capsule the single capsule set comes with?<<

Cardioid.

19. Brusco

Brusco Member

Thanks, that's good to know.

I don't have an adapter for my mic stand yet but thanks for the link Scribe.
    I'll be using a flat 1" x 4" x 8" piece of wood with a 110 degree angle drawn and a line intersecting it at 170mm's. I'll mount the mics to the board trying to keep the pads at the intersecting lines.

Loudboy I was told that the -10db pad would be for close micing louder instruments (kick, snare, amps, etc), so it may not sound good for micing a room.

I have an ART Dual MP that I plan on using: It's features include: Input and output controls, +20dB gain switch, phase reversal and +48V phantom power. Just wondering if this will power the mics without harm and also wondering about the phase reversal, if that would apply itself.

The literature that came with the mics is useless to me because it's all in Russian.

20. LSchefman

Well, the good thing is, there isn't much to know about the mics. Just put 'em up and see what works.

As an aside, I wandered to Bob Clearmountain's website - his home studio is almost as nice as mine :rolleyes: - and he also uses a pair of the Oktavas.

I was actually surprised at some of the stuff he likes. It's very interesting.