Best Matchless for pure clean

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by weekapaugh, Feb 15, 2006.

1. weekapaugh

weekapaugh Member

I'm a total noob when it comes to Matchless amps but was wondering which is the best one for pure non-breaking up clean and max headroom?? I have a Carr Rambler and just looking for a different flavored clean machine. Other brand suggestions welcomed as well...

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I really wouldn't suggest a Matchless for pure clean. Fender twins would be the first thing that comes to my mind for clean headroom. With that said, I've got a Matchless DC30 and it's best at that just breaking up sound. . .jangly sound, with a Ric 360, Tele or Strat. I think that it sounds best with single coil pickups, although humbuckers aren't bad, they're just not the best.

For a humbucker guitar, I would think that a Chieftain would probably best suit what you're looking for, if you've got to have a Matchless and clean.

Once again, I find that my DC30 is a GREAT rock guitar, with great classic rock crunch and jangly (read slightly breaking up) cleans.

Good luck!

3. Frosty

Frosty Member

I would agree with Rusty. I had a Matchless Chieftain for a while. I loved it for certain styles of rock and roll, but it was never clean enough to do anything else. I found that a 50 watt Fuchs filled all my needs.

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Didn't Matchless have something called the SuperChief that was supposed to have a lot more wattage than the rest of the line?

5. Roe

Roe Member

loudest and cleanest: thunderchief 200: 4 kt100s or kt88s

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Matchless Chief. They are the 100 watt version of the Chieftain. A friend of mine owns one and he can just pump the master volume and get great cleans.

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I would also say this...the Chief has so much power that when he uses it for an overdriven tone...he can barely use the master volume to play at band level. It's controls are exactly like the Chieftain, just with 4 output tubes and 100 w! lol

8. Roe

Roe Member

try the 200w version then!

9. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, the C30 series amps can do all the clean you want.
    And I"m talkin' JANGLE type clean.
    I'm a clean guy, as that is where my tone starts.
    My SC30 does what I want it to do in this regard...and a whole lot more.
    Sure, a Twin will get you there. But there's more to the (clean tone) world than that, Horatio.

My .02,
    S>
    j

nolenuttt and 55 Jr like this.
  10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Try the new Matchless Avenger. From Hiwatt to Fender in that amp, and everything in-between. Comes with or without reverb. A new design from Phil Jamison that is gettting attention.

nolenuttt likes this.
  11. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

I often used my 95 Clubman with the gain at 9:00 and master at 12:00 or higher. The amp is very clean at this setting especially with single coils. Other wise go with a Twin Reverb.

12. Roe

Roe Member

yes, but they also made a bigger version of the 100w supercheief (4 el34s) called the thunderchief 200 (4 kt100s).
    there's one for sale here in norway now - they are quite rare

13. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

If you're not set on Matchless but open to other Sampson designs, the Star GainStar clean channel is about the best I've heard/played/owned. Not ultra clean like a twin, but loads of depth & dimension.

14. dave s

dave s Member

+1 on the Clubman doing sparkling clean and VERY loud at the same time. Similar settings but I'm running mine with the gain at 9:00 and the master at 3:00! Dead clean and PLENTY loud.

Plus, when you turn up the Clubman, it sounds better. When you turn up a Twin Reverb, ears start to bleed.

dave

55 Jr likes this.
  15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

My Matchless DC 30 had nice cleans, but I like my Vox AC 30 CC a lot more. It can stay cleaner, or it can get way more jangly than the matchless. The Chieftan and super Chief fart out so badly on the bottom end, I find them useless for most of my playing. IMO, the best cleans in the EL84 camp though are the Bruno UG 30. Here are clips of the Bruno UG 30 and Matchless DC30 in an A/B situation. To me, the Mathless sounds more harsh, less refined, a bit ratty, and just not as sweet as the Bruno. Listen for yourself. Give the clips time to load, as I forgot to crop the leader off of them. :eek: Fender Relic Strat plugged straight in. Both amps adjusted for the best tone I could get, and set to the same volume. (About 1/2 way.) Both of these are great amps.

Bruno UG 30. http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=19506

Matchless DC30: http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=19505

16. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

Kingsley Deluxe 30...

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Clubman for cleans, with the Master wide open.

Part of the magic is using the Matchless 2x12 which is wired for 4 ohms.

Don't ask me why - I know zip about tech stuff - but all my amps stay a little cleaner a little longer through that 4-ohm cab. ==K

18. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

+1 for the Clubman. Non reverb for me. Like Kiwi said master ran high. I prefered mine around 2 o'clock, gave a little more hair sooner. I will have another.

19. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

The Chief is a killer amp for clean tones. I rave about this amp weekly on TGP. One of my favorite amps of all time. There's a Guitar Center in NJ that has one for sale. Very rare amp and if you do buy it make sure you save my email in case you ever want to sell it. If I had the dough right now I would buy it in a split second.

20. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Oh Boy Jason, I'm gonna get SPAM Slammed for this one!

I'm missing that Sirius. It covered so many bases and does them all very well. No Matchless amp does what that amp can do. Really depends on what your needs are. I'd like to get one of those Chief Amps for really loud, clean Surf Guitar which I currently use a Twin For. The thing I don't want to do is lug around any more very Large 85-100lbs amplifiers! The Sirius comes in a modest package as you know. I was getting loud enough clean tone with that Sirius for the Surf Stuff though plus getting a killer OD out of the clean channel. Some Surf Guys would still want a bit more clean out of the Sirius but for me it was fine. With a Chief, I would have to lug around two amps.The Chief for clean and something else for OD / Dirty.