Best Medium Gain/Boost for Eternity?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Dec 29, 2005.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What medium gain pedal would best compliment my Eternity? I'm considering a Honey Bee, Timmy, Zendrive, Gainster.:BEER

2. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

I don't like the Timmy at all for this. It's way too noisy, at least IMO. My favorite so far is the COT50, and it kills. I haven't tried the others on your list, though. Sorry.

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Thanks for the response. I've thought about the cot50 but I wish it had an adaptor.

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Cot50 and you can find older ones with adapters
    or try a twin60, AFTER the Eternity

5. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

The Twin 60 is perfect after most all your pedals...It's soooo important to my rig.

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Another nod for the COT-50 - it's the perfect boost for the Eternity. Older units do have power jack and they pop up for sale often here and on Ebay. Definitely worth the wait to find one with a power jack. I run mine on battery most of the time but I needed the power jack to disconnect the battery when not in use (COT is affixed to my pedalboard) and to provide backup power if the battery goes and I don't have a carbon-zinc on hand.

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

same setup!:RoCkIn:RoCkIn

8. MrMunky

MrMunky Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Timmy and the Gainster and the Zendrive with the Timmy.

The Gainster is ideal for relatively low output pickups, where the guitar and amp really provide the sparkle. It sounds truly magical with a Rickenbacker, as though it were made for it. It sounds a bit strained with higher output pickups.

The Timmy responds and breaks up like an amp - it doesn't fake it the way a tubescreamer does by blending a cleanish tone in with dirt - it really breaks up. This makes it great for goosing with another drive, and it works very well with humbuckers and single coils. The high end really glistens, and it loses a lot of its fun when you roll the treble off so if smoothness is your ultimate goal this might annoy you. The Timmy also affords a flawless clean boost if that is what you are looking for.

The Zendrive is the opposite with respect to smoothness. It's smooth, but a bit difficult to get a sparkly high end sound. The Zendrive really shines for medium gain lead playing. It doesn't sound bad for chords at all, but it requires some finesse. The Zendrive's attack is a bit different from the Gainster and Timmy.

As for the Honey Bee, I would very much like to hear one, but I haven't yet had the pleasure.

I would post clips of all of these (except the honey bee), but the powers that be here would move the thread and send me a nasty e-mail. You can find clips of each of these at http://inrerocknroll.blogspot.com. You don't need to sign up for anything, just click and download the .mp3s if you wish.

9. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another COT50 user here. Good in front of a clean amp, better in front of a dirty amp or an Eternity. I was a bit apprehensive about the lack of AC but I've gotten used to it.

10. jpagey

jpagey Member

Yup, Cot 50>Eternity>Twin 60 (or Deluxe 60) is the way to go.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Just ordered the Eternity yesterday, and I'm gonna goose it with my COT50 and possibly Timmy (we'll see when it gets here). Another chance is to have a Hot Cake between the COT and the E.

I just ordered a power supply, been using batteries until now (yes, I know I'm dumb). I have the new model COT50 with no ac jack, but I think it's not gonna be a huge problem though. I'll have the COT first in my chain tightly velcroed to the pedal board, so I'll remove the input jack anyway when I'm done playing. And while the bottom of the pedal is velcroed to the board, I can easily remove the top part of the chassis to change the battery. I'll just have to keep the screws relatively loose so that I don't have to use a screwdriver, 'cause that wouldnt fit there I guess. The COT50 seems to be really battery friendly as well, and I dont think I'll even have to do this operation that often.

The COT is the greatest pedal I've tried for goosing other pedals. COT with the Hot Cake is godly. The already rich harmonic content of the Hot Cake grew even richer with the COT. You can clearly here the new harmony note getting into the sound, it's really cool.

12. Ned

Ned Member

will a FAB50 have the same effect as the COT50?

13. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

ToneRanger, you must've raised your legal rates!:p

Enjoy man, hope the Eternity rocks your legal butt!!!

Per the thread, yep get a COT50 to boost the E. I've never heard any pedals that work like sean's WITH other pedals.

14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

aarondavis, I cant wait to get the Eternity. I've been wanting to get one for couple of months now and if it's of the same level of quality as the COT I'm sure I'll be really happy with it. It's due to ship in late January, but that was to expected anyway, and now I have more time to gather the money to pay the Visa bill anyway :)

I really recommend everyone trying to stack their COT with the Hot Cake. I've never heard such a tone before. With the Cake set to a quite thick distortion, gain maybe at 13:00, which really isn't the pedals best sound, the COT goosing it at maybe 8-9:00 sounded spectacular. The woodiest tone ever! And it was awesome when you played a chord with the Hot Cake on, with harmonics already flying all over the place and then you get the COT in the mix as well... BOOM, you get all these new harmonics. It was music!

For the record, I wish I even had a legal rate, so I could buy all the stuff I really want (I've got something like 20 000 euros worth of guitar stuff planned out, must have dreams man). Working for the goverment/court system right now, so it's not gonna work out I'm afraid (the pay is not that great)...

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

ToneRanger,

Good luck on your legal career... I've been quite blessed to have graduated college and had a great public sector accounting job right away. I'm not rolling in the cash, but I have always kept my spending beneath my means. I'm assuming that a lot of the guy's that have all the crazy gear on this page... don't have half of it actually paid for. I for one, do not buy anything unless I have the cash for it. OR CAN PAY THE VISA BILL REAL QUICK.

Let us know as soon as you get the E.

16. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Sean told me the Cot 50 is good for a year of heavy use with a battery.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Thanks, it's insane here in Finland right now, people over educating themselves. I'm doing an MBA as well, and right now I'm training at the bench. It's really an employers market at my field of work right now, maybe the situation changes when the babyboomer generation retires. We'll see where I end up, it's just funny that most of all I'd like to play music. Maybe when we'll get the second album finished with the band (www.daisyband.com shameless plugging ;)) we'll make it big time and I can leave all the boring bs behind and concentrate on what I really love...

I'm used to living on a budget, as I've been a student for a long time. Now that I have atleast some income I can turn the GAS back on (well the cheap student loans were great to buy gear) and check out some pedals, as new guitars are out of reach (and it's good to explore the ones I already own). I don't know what I'll check out next, maybe some improvements for the studio...

People here have insane amounts of gear, and I think that's so cool. I love people with these kind of perversions and fixations, for gear that is ;)

I luckily don't have a Visa w/ credit facilities (meaning I have to pay the bill when it's due monthly)..

I'll definately report when I get the E.. Just help my waiting a bit, please compare the COT and E a bit for me, describe the sound, I just have to get a picture in my head (like I wouldnt have one listening from the clips and reading all the reviews, just a quick round up, please!).

Ok, thanks!

18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well the difference between the E and COT... I'll take a stab, but I've not played extensively through the COT. Mprvise might be able to help a bit.

From memory, the COT sounds a little darker and a little more open sounding. Less compression, although the E isn't that compressed. And the COT has a grittier tone, more like an OD. And it has less gain. I guess I can describe the Eternity better, since I have two :cool:

It has quite a bit of gain on tap. And it really sounds more like a mix between a distortion and an OD. It's way fatter than any OD I've heard. I have actually started using it as my main rhythm tone. And If I have to keep it simple, and do a gig with only a couple of pedals, it suffices as even a pretty high gain distortion. Put it's still got that "cleanish" distortion that you'd expect from an OD. In other words, the guitar really shines through. The Treble boost can get a dark amp really happening, but it's not a harsh treble. More like upper -mids.

With the TL072 chip it is about 30 percent louder, and the treble is enhanced a bit. I dig the standard "Fat" chip.

Here's some samples if ya like:

Starts Clean with TopHat, PRS McCarty Rosewood and Echopark
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3175856&q=hi

Starts clean with Tele, Maxon Comp, ends with the Eternty. I set this bright to show the single coil tone of my Virtual Ts
    http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3262531&q=hi

19. mprvise

mprvise Member

Aaron has it basically correct regarding the COT - very "transparent" (I know some people here hate that term). I sat in with a guy last Friday who asked me "what is that pedal - I can't even tell when you turn it on, it just sounds like you turned up your amp until it distorted (or distorted more, depending)." Hell yeah! That's it. That's what it does. Definitely a low gain affair, and responds very well to changes in the guitar volume. And as mentioned, works great stacked with the Eternity.

The Eternity - much more gain on tap. More of a mid rangy type OD/distortion, but by no means a TS9 clone (using the settings I use anyway). Can be used as a great rhythm tone or lead tone. I love the way it sounds with the gain at 9:00 and at 3:00 (or anywhere in between or beyond). That's part of the beauty of this pedal - sounds great at many differnt settings.

Hope that helps... YMMV and all that.

20. jpagey

jpagey Member

HMM, if memory serves, my CoT 50 with the knob all the CW up has more gain than my Eternity with the gain full up. I haven't turned either one up that far in a long time...I guess I have to try them again set that way and report back!