Best medium to high gain pedal for a Vox Ac15

foureyes

hotcake's cool, but i never thought it nailed a plexi sound.

ZVEX's Box of Rock/Distortron to me sounds really good through voxes.
I forgot about the BoR. I'll look into it. :ideaThere is a local dealer here that carries Zvex stuff.

Thanks

Empros

I had a plimsoul and it worked really well through my vox as a med-high gain pedal. The OCD gave me all the gain I needed so I got rid of the plim.

voxylady

Crunchbox. Nails the MIAB sound and is an all around great med-high gain distortion box.

foureyes

Well I got an OCD on the way. Still open to more suggestions though. I had to get something quick for a gig and after watching some demos... I decided to pull the trigger. We'll see how it works out. My ears are pretty picky and voxes are crazy picky about the dirt pedals they will gel with (IME).

superbird

Silver Supporting Member
I just went thru this with my AC15HW1X. I tried the Zvex distortron but i ended up with a Plimsoul. To me it matches very well with the vox, much better than the Zvex even though i liked the Distortron. The Plimsoul is fun to play and works well in a band setting FYI.

ken374

The new bogners would work, when i had the handwired newer model the pedals I did try were not that great so i ended with no pedals because it just sounded better. My jet city is similar to the vox and im able to add more gain and thicken the tone up a bit more. I have to keep the boost low though but it really helps with amp, ya never know your running a pedal.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
the new secret freq slays through a vox. i was blown away by the one i tried recently. still GASing for that thing. bad. and i really don't need another dirt box at all...

K.E.P.

I have had several ac15 type amps and currently have a bad cat cub 12 (can get voxy).

Currently on my board:
Zvex Box of Rock - 70's marshall all day long, but not the type of gain in my experience for distortion.

JHS Sweet Tea - Angry Charlie side is just awesome 80's marshall. Can get deep or bright.

Others mentioned:
crunch box - awesome, but IMHO will be too bright when paired with that amp. Overall too bright for me.

Hotcake - kind of its own thing, but awesome with el84 amps.

Lone Bear

I have a cc1 with the bright cap mod
I've been planning on getting a range master clone to cook the paint off my walls at home but it may not work for me so well at my small gigs while stil maintaining my clean tone and low stage volume. I mostly play three times a week at a 300 to 500 seat venue and twice a year at a couple of 3000 seaters. Don't you use a treble booster to push and already cranked amp? I mean to get that May tone.
Thanks for the tip on the mullards :beer
Treble Booster at 3:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHEwL-Tqo7M

vibrostrat43

I would say try the Fulltone OCD.

On a side note, if you're looking for that midrange, and warmth the Diamond J-Drive is another great pedal to look at, but it's not so much a Marshall-y pedal as it is it's own thing. Still similar sounds in a way, and sounds great with a british style amp imo.

WhoJamFan

Just gigged last night with a Barber Direct Drive using a Rickenbacker 330 with toaster pickups through a cranked AC30 and the sound really kicked butt! These pedals are inexpensive and can go from a little drive to a nice Marshally type deal without the brittle high end most MIAB pedals have. The internal trimpots really make the fine tuning easy and totally useable. Sounds killer through my Hiwatt as well.

papersun

Crunch Box played very nicely with my AC15C1. I've heard very good things about the Lovepedal Purple Plexi as well.

Empros

I would say try the Fulltone OCD.

On a side note, if you're looking for that midrange, and warmth the Diamond J-Drive is another great pedal to look at, but it's not so much a Marshall-y pedal as it is it's own thing. Still similar sounds in a way, and sounds great with a british style amp imo.
I may have asked this before, but does the J-Drive sit well in a mix? And would the clean boost stack well with an OCD to give the OCD more volume and a bit more cut?

vibrostrat43

The boost stacks well with everything I've it with so far (J-Drive, LTD SR, Morning Glory). I haven't actually tried it yet in a band mix yet, but my guess is that it would sit more in the back of the mix because it's a "warm" and some would say dark pedal. It has plenty of mids, but they're mostly not upper mids.

Trending Topics