Best method for removing finish from the neck of a guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuitarGuy510, Jun 11, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey guys,

Well I have tried using a micro-mesh kit on a neck of a guitar I sold, and I really didn't like how it came out. It wasn't very smooth (or at least as satin-like as I thought it would turn out), so does anyone know how to make a neck turn out nicer, without looking like crap? I'm not about to steel wool the neck of my PRS! :nono Any suggestions? Did I just not use the micro-mesh kit correctly? The guitar I tried it on the first time was black, and the finish on the back of the neck looked almost scratched instead of polished, and the finish was not quite satin at all, it still felt like gloss. Are you not supposed to use all the sandpaper in the kit?? HELP! I want to make the neck on my PRS CE-24 more satin-like as I hate the sticky finish on it now! Thanks guys!

2. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

With the MicroMesh, I just use the 1500 to get the satin feel. Anything higher than that
    and you just start polishing it back toward where you started.

0000 Steel wool will get it done, too.

3. rooster

rooster Member

I did the full polish treatment all the way up to the finest grit, but soaked the micromesh in water for a day beforehand. The neck is still nice and glossy, but not sticky, if that makes sense.

rooster.

4. bluesgeek

bluesgeek Member

0000 Steel wool is fine, I've recently done my Les Paul after putting it off, works a treat :) I ALWAYS do my strats with it as those glossy/sticky maple necks do not agree with me!

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

A little birde told me about hitting nitro necks it with a little bit of naptha. Micro mesh on Nitro foots the bill for, like aye, an hour. Tops.

I recently hit it with 220 sandpaper then gave it a nice rub down with Dr. Stringfellow Lem-Oil. Delish. Way better than that lovely box of Micro Mesh.

The naptha is up next. But I'm a bit scared. Maybe you go first and post your results?

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I used a green pot cleaner pad on two of my guitars, a Fender 60's reissue jap start and a american 52 reissue tele. The jap start came out perfect and didn't take long, but I was sanding forever with the tele, I don't think they use much nitro on the newer Fenders; I think it's mostly poly.