best mic for live guitar amp?

gbtommasi

Most of times i gig with 57s, just because that's what is usually found in clubs and what most services offer.
But my preferred mic is Sennheiser E609, i played through it a couple of times and it's just wonderful. The thing i like more about the 609 is that it completely lacks of the 57's trebly tendency, wich i found very annoying.
Check it out if you get a chance

photios

I use a Sennheiser MD421 + a Royer R-121 to a Samson S-Combine. I use AmpClamps to keep the mics consistently in the sweet spot on my speaker cabinet. You can't go wrong with this combo...it just kills.

sws1

e609 - What comes out PA is exactly what you amp sounds like. I've never gotten a 57 to sound right.

Steve Dallas

Senn 421 for me.

I want to try the e609 though. I've heard that some sound better than others though, so I'm not sure what to buy.

enchan-ted

I use in-ear monitors and could not stand my tone with a 57 so now I use an Senn e906 which sounds more like what my ears want to hear. I'm pretty sure they're the same as the 609 but with addition of a hi-cut or low-cut which I never use.

dcooper830

I've been using a Shure Beta 58 to mic my amp.

I know......... blasphemy!!

But I'm eventually gonna save up and get a 57 or a Senheiser e609 or e906.

vinney57

I use a Sennheiser MD421 + a Royer R-121 to a Samson S-Combine. I use AmpClamps to keep the mics consistently in the sweet spot on my speaker cabinet. You can't go wrong with this combo...it just kills.
+1000

This is absolutely the best combo I have found. Use a pair of quality pre-amps to do them justice.

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
I use a Sennheiser MD421 + a Royer R-121 to a Samson S-Combine.
You use $1500 worth of mics for a club gig? And then you pump them into a cheap device like the S-Combine? Amazing.

I use an E609 for live gigs.

Recording... sometimes. I have other mics for that... THAT would be the perfect place for a 421 and a Royer, provided a decent pre-amp or two are in the mix.

--chiba

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The best thing about the e609 for live use is that since its a flat side address mic you don't need mic stand. Just wrap the mic cable around the amp handle and dangle the mic in front of the speaker. I see this all time on televised gigs.

coolhand78

is it safe buying mics of ebay, i've heard things about 'fakes' etc... the e609 is quite cheap on ebay...

Trending Topics