Best mic pre for electric guitar?

MichaelK

Sorry, but this is complete ********.

Wow, thanks for setting me straight on my complete ********.

Seeing as next week is the two-year anniversary of the original question, why don't you go f...

Never mind.

enharmonic

Chairman of the Bored
Platinum Supporting Member
If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Seventh Circle stuff is worth a look.

I personally use an MP2NV for guitars and vocals. I'm thinking of adding another pre for different color (a Daking perhaps), but I have no problem with the MP2NV being my only pre.

I use a Lynx AES16 card with my Mac. I thought would offer me a good bit of flexibility if I ever decide to grow my system. I seldom if ever used more than 16 inputs at a time when I tracked on an SSL, so I figure that if I ever needed more than 16 in, I'd need to be in a real studio anyhow :)

For converters, I'm using a Cranesong Hedd. Overkill for a guitar/vocal setup? Perhaps...but there's a comfort in knowing that there's no excuse for getting bad tracks at my place aside from operator error. even with great technique, so-so hardware will only get you so far.

Having said that, plenty of people have recorded albums on Mackies and ADAT's. It's all relative.

tradarama

www.PRIMEGUITARS.com
Silver Supporting Member
I honestly think that the Chandler Germanium ($1200 with power supply and around $950 used) sounds really nice. You can dial in thickness or leave it pretty clean. I've read many others saying great things about them too. Not a bad place to start. I'm told that for clean preamps the new rage is the A-Audio Pacifica. I have one as well....very sparkling clean sounding. Very nice sounding too and pretty mainstream.

madstrat

+++ on the lunchbox...add modules as you can afford;
and resale is good...a 57 thru the api is rock.n.roll...
i di my bass thru the shadow hills set on nickel...

who said recording was hard?

elambo

I honestly think that the Chandler Germanium ($1200 with power supply and around $950 used) sounds really nice. You can dial in thickness or leave it pretty clean. I've read many others saying great things about them too. Not a bad place to start.

The Germ is my favorite preamp for guitars (at the moment), especially distorted. But even clean it adds a very flattering color that you'd miss if it weren't there. The Thick button is unique and, in my rig anyway, is engaged most of the time. I absolutely LOVE that box and it's never leaving my rig.

About the need for high-end pres on gtr - I have to agree. It's less about the pre's ability to extend from 20Hz-20KHz and more about its ability to capture all the info that's there, and be flattering to it, even if it's a tone that's constant at only 900Hz. Think of vocals - they're very limited in range, even considering their higher-order harmonics, and no one is doubting the benefit of a high-end mic pre on vocals. The difference between a cheap pre and a Neve, for instance, could be heard in the bite, the presence, the ability to cut through a mix, a better reaction when eq'd, being more organic, etc. All important and all emphasized by the correct, and usually more expensive, mic pre.

This is not to say that the original poster NEEDS such a preamp, but it tends to be true.

TBone

An important factor especially for a small or home studios is finding gear that can do well in multiple situations. Then if you have to pay a little more but can get more use, it helps justify the cost.

A great unknown mic pre is the ADK AP-1. As a mic pre, it has changeable transformers and op amps. So you can actually get different flavors in one box such as Millenia Media, API, Seventh Circle Audio, Forsselltech and Melcore (more are being developed). Then the direct input on the front provides tons of clean gain and excellent for both direct guitar or bass. More expensive than a RNP less than a Great River or Avalon. These are relatively new and built in the US.

http://www.adkmic.com/catalog/customshop/AP-1.php

Tbone

trazan

Which was my point from the get-go.

Though, as I know now (praise G-d), complete ********.

Hallelujah!

Dude, I only addressed this: "It's only electric guitar; you're talking about a very narrow frequency range and you'll never hear your money's worth on an expensive preamp." Which I still say is ********. Nothing personal ;)

Greggy

Hallelujah!

Dude, I only addressed this: "It's only electric guitar; you're talking about a very narrow frequency range and you'll never hear your money's worth on an expensive preamp." Which I still say is ********. Nothing personal ;)

I have to admit that I thought your initial response was harsh. At the same time, this constitutes one of the open issues in my otherwise closed mind:rolleyes:. I.e., the impact of mic pre upgrades on electric guitar tracks, holding all other variables constant. I often hear that an amp puts out frequencies up to 6khz or so. Yet when I eq guitar tracks in the mix above 6khz, I hear real differences. Obviously, there are upper harmonics going on. So why wouldn't a better mic pre accentuate upper harmonics in a good way. Or simply improve the focus/timbre of the fundamental tones to some meaningful extent. I will find out when I ultimately move up to a quality kit mic pre like Seventh Circle or something similar.

Anyway, disagreement is fine, but I wouldn't attempt to call MichaelK's opinions and the experiences they rely on ********. Hard to encourage a useful discussion that way (attract more bees with honey or something like that).

trazan

I have to admit that I thought your initial response was harsh.

My wording may very well sound different to you guys than this foreigner, so you're quite likely right. However when something is presented as gospel rather than opinion I tend to come off a bit edgy. Apologies :BEER

elambo

My wording may very well sound different to you guys than this foreigner, so you're quite likely right. However when something is presented as gospel rather than opinion I tend to come off a bit edgy. Apologies :BEER

Then consider that hatchet buried (which for a foreigner means "it's over!"). For what it's worth, I thought that comment was pretty out of line as well, but I understand your frustration.

elambo

Which was my point from the get-go.

Though, as I know now (praise G-d), complete ********.

Gotcha now. Your specificity to this particular poster's question wasn't clear earlier. It seemed like a general statement.

Greggy

No problem here. Like elambo, I understood your initial point, and as indicated in my last response, I may tend to swing your way on the issue. But I haven't decided yet, I need to upgrade to a better mic pre and let my ears do the talkin. Later....

FFTT

You see a huge number of pros using Avalon live.

I would also look at the DAV Electronics Control Room Guitar Interface.
Both FET and Tube pre-section, FX loop, TMB controls. Top notch pro.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The OP says he is looking for a really nice mic pre for electric guitar.

Some responses offer really nice mic pres as requested. Others question the need for a nice preamp at all, without understanding the context of the OP.

There are a lot of great preamps out there. What's your budget? Do you already own other pres? What type of sound you are looking for that you are not currently getting? What are you trying to achieve with your recording - are you doing a nationally distributed album or just songwriting demos?

It is easy for me to jump in with my favorite piece of gear, but until I really understand the context of the question, I'm not really helping the OP very much.

loudboy

The OP says he is looking for a really nice mic pre for electric guitar.

Some responses offer really nice mic pres as requested. Others question the need for a nice preamp at all, without understanding the context of the OP.

There are a lot of great preamps out there. What's your budget? Do you already own other pres? What type of sound you are looking for that you are not currently getting? What are you trying to achieve with your recording - are you doing a nationally distributed album or just songwriting demos?

It is easy for me to jump in with my favorite piece of gear, but until I really understand the context of the question, I'm not really helping the OP very much.

He's had 8 years to find something... <g>

kcprogguitar

Terry,

Tell us some more about your mic pre, please? Honestly hadn't heard of your company before. I've got a couple RND 511's I like a bunch, but…I have space in my chassis for something different. (I'm fascinated with the whole 500 series, if you couldn't tell).

Top Bottom