Best Mid Level Gigging Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TommyK, Jan 29, 2015.

1. TommyK

TommyK Member

I currently am playing through an Egnater Rebel 30 combo and I also have a Fender Deluxe VM.

I love the overdrive channel of the Egnater but I struggle with the clean channel. Conversely, I love the clean channel on the Fender but the overdrive leaves a lot to be desired. I have thought about bringing both amps to jobs and using and a/b box but that would be more work than I am willing to deal with.

I had a Mesa Boogie Mark IIB for many years and I had the best of both worlds in one amp. It had a creamy overdrive with the sparkle in the clean channel to die for. Now I'm looking to replace it but my budget won't allow it. Enough about my equipment although it was important so that you can understand my question.

With all of that said, what tube amps would you suggest for my needs? I gig approximately 1 to 3 times weekly mostly classic rock but occasionally smooth jazz. I have been considering the new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III as I have heard that they really tightened up the overdrive. Does anyone have any experience gigging with this amp? Are there any other amps that I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

TK

2. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

There's some great options in that price range. Classic 30, DSL40C, Laney Iroheart are just a few that pop up in mind immediately.

3. VanWhelan

VanWhelan Member

I've tried a lot of different amps over the years - but in my experience, the thing that has always worked best for me is a good Fender amp + pedals.

Seriously, I've had a Hot Rod DeVille since 2001, and I never use the drive channel on it. I got it for its clean tone & I use various OD pedals, depending on what type of music I'm playing.

I totally recommend the Fender Hot Rod amps - they're some of the best "bang for the buck" amps. You might want to check out that new Michael Landau Hot Rod amp while you're at it - looks really interesting to me. Then find some great OD pedals and have fun!

4. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Hot Rod Deluxe
    or Vox AC30C2

5. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

NT50G2, Ironheart. The DSL might have issues off the bat (like taming the fizz); I feel that setting for one channel compromises the other when left stock.

6. xchemie

xchemie Member

Used Fender Supersonic? Fender cleans and great gain sounds.

7. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

What is your budget?

8. TommyK

TommyK Member

At this point it is whatever I can sell the Rebel 30 combo amp for.

9. aaronbarnes

aaronbarnes Member

I played most of my gigs with a Hot Rod and pedals.

Hard to beat for the $$

10. TommyK

TommyK Member

Thanks guys for the quick responses. It looks like I will be giving the Hot Rod Deluxe III a serious 'once over'.

Thank you all so much for your input.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

For me, good cleans were always the most difficult to get right and you can't fix bad cleans with a pedal. But there are a gazillion OD pedals with a gazillion flavors out there. So, I'd buy the best clean sounding amp I could find/afford, then add an OD pedal or two for when needed.

12. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

If you're willing to go 2nd hand, there's a few old Rivera amps floating around that go for chips...i picked up an m60 for something like $400 which for Australia is pretty cheap for an all valve amp, my Stymon El Capistan nearly cost that for example. The thing about Rivera's is that you get a Fender Blackface clean which has a tweed switch as well as a marshall style gain that goes from plexi breakup to over saturated creamy.

Otherwise the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is ok with a pedal, but even the new ones just suck on the gain channel compared to other amps. Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues is another option out there if you want a better gain channel but still retain decent cleans.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Have thought about just rolling speakers and tubes in Rebel to whip it into shape.

14. 8len8

8len8 Member

IMHO horrible gain sound and poor reliability.

15. TommyK

TommyK Member

Dave, I have thought about it. I currently use the direct out w/speaker emulator with the current project I'm in. That is actually one of the features that I bought the amp for. The tubes might work but I'm fearful that the speaker would give me two different sounds, one through the amp and one through the P.A..

16. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

Why not try to find yourself another Mesa used on the bay? Look long enough, and you might find it for the right price.

17. TommyK

TommyK Member

I've heard players that get a killer sound out of these but I couldn't. I tried a Supersonic for a few gigs and wasn't impressed. The cleans were fine, not great but the gain was fizzy and unclear.

18. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Save yourself some money. Keep the Fender and buy a good dirt pedal or two.

19. mikeller

mikeller Member

I have several Mesa heads and cabinets, and wanted a combo (again) that I could grab & go if needed. My short list included Hot Rod Deluxe and Marshall DSL40C. I ended up the Marshall - it has plenty of volume and sounds great. The thing that kept me from the Hot Rod Deluxe is I hate the backside - top mounted controls on chrome. I find that very difficult to look at on stage.

20. mtperry85

mtperry85 Member

Check out some Traynors as a lower priced Fender alternative that is built better... my YCV40WR is a grea gigging amp with good cleans and an overdrive channel that I prefer to a HRD.