Best mid TS circuit pedal you enjoy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am curious what pedal you prefer for that colored mid humped tube screamer sound.

I currently a Maxon OD9, Maxon 820 and a maxon OD9 with the keeley mod plus.

HOWEVER, I want to try more things out!

I am curious about the blueboy(MI audio), zendrive1, bluecollar, red snapper(menatone), & the Barber LTD and gainster. THanks

2. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

My favorite is the original version of the Bixonic Expandora. It has that mid hump, but you have a wider gain range to play with. You can certainly get TS sounds, but you can also get beyond overdrive and into distortion territory, while maintaining that open sort of TS sound with the mid hump.

Peter

3. fatback

fatback Member

[​IMG]
    (from top L-->R): Logan-Great08, Paul C-Timmy, M.I.Audio-Blues Pro, Clay Jones od, Aramat-Green Machine, OD-820.

All of these pedals have roots back to the basic tube-screamer circuit, from there some have evolved more than others.

The Great08 and the OD-820 are the more classic sounding of the bunch. The Great08 is also the chewiest pedal of the bunch, nailing that old 808 vibe to a T. Contact Logan Electronics, (402 216 1037), for more info on the Great-08 pedal.

The Timmy, Blues Pro, and the Green Machine are all updated and more versatile than a straight TS-9. The Timmy is the most versatile with its' great tone controls. The Blues Pro has some great character in the mids while the GreeN Machine has a pronounced slicing high-end.

The CJod is probably the least TS-9 sounding of the batch. A great pedal that evolved way past it's origins.

4. drolling

drolling Member

MJM Blues Devil. All things a great 808 should be + true bypass.

5. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I don't know about the others, but the Timmy is far from the TS soundwise, IMO. Not midhump at all. And I don't think that the circuit is based on it either. That should be asked from Paul himself.

6. fatback

fatback Member

I listed those pedals all together under the tube-screamer family tree because they each feature a JRC 455... chip at the heart of their circuits.

I love the Timmy, but I still hear it as an evolved screamer. If you dial the bass and treble full clockwise, (off) and boost up the volume, you'll find more of a mid-hump. With the treble and bass at noon the Timmy evolves into it's more even eq curve. Crank up both the treble and bass, ( counter clockwise,) and you get a nice "V" curve which works great with other tube-screamer type pedals. Paul C. made a fantastic and very versatile pedal with this one! Definately a must have od/eq/boost pedal on my list.

The main point of my post, (which I guess I left out), was that there are a lot of great versions of the TS-9 circuit out on the market now. Some traditional and some tweaked or evolved. If possible, listen to a few through your rig to see what works best for you. Enjoy the journey!

7. eric-d

eric-d Member

I like my TS-808 RI.... it works just fine.... I do plan on building a BYOC Screamer because of the true bypass, but other than that, I'm happy with it...

8. madsr

madsr Member

the menatone fish factory is great for ts types of tones...IMO much better than the ts9dx or the HBE powerscreamer...just a much better sounding pedal..sounds much more natural and less like a pedal to me...also I like the way you can have both the red and blue sides on at the same time for some extra grit..I think the red snapper side is more close to the true ts9 tone...I tend to use the red side with single coils and the blue collar side with the humbuckers..

9. threm

threm Member

I have some tubescreamer based pedals but was surprised when I heard a friends vintage 808. More tight and meaty in the lower mids than what I`ve heard from other pedals. More of a lower midhump without any nasal honkyness. Good amplike compression.

The CJOD is a jewel in many ways (have to mail Clay and thank him) but I have a problem with it. It`s voiced with more high/upper mids than what fits my already midheavy EL84 amps.
    The dynamics, responsivness, touch sensitivity, sustain before distorting etc is wold class. If only the EQ was a little more suitable to my needs........

Btw. I won`t sell it. ;)
    A great match for my Fender Concert that needs to be repaired.

The Vaughn mods look good, anybody here tried those?

10. Cary Chilton

ISN'T the Blue collar a more mid humped pedal? THen why does it sound great with buckers? The Snapper sound be the bucker-pedal? Seems contradicating to me. However, Brian Mena told me himself that the Blue collar would best work with a Marshall and buckers..... Don't get it I guess...

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i've always really liked the vox valve tone.

12. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

Okay, I won't start arguing without better knowledge. I don't know next to nothing about the different circuits. And I think thís has been discussed to death before... :) Just wanted to add that I think it doesn't make a pedal TS-based if it has a JRC4558 or 4559 in it's circuit. Those are just components. A circuit is a lot more than just one chip in it. On the other hand, if we talk about that mid-hump. I definitely don't think that every pedal with a mid emphasis is a TS variant?

Nevertheless, the Timmy is one great pedal whether it was an original circuit or a variant of something! :dude

13. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I almost forgot to add my TS type pedal. I like my Reverend Drivetrain II for those sounds. It only has a slight mid hump. In addition to that it also has bass and treble controls to further tune the sound. Drivetrain has a nice compression when the drive is increased (if that's what you want). Very thick sound if you turn the bass up a bit. Definitely not a loss of bass then. Back off the bass and treble and you've got a more traditional TS sound.

It's a pity they stopped making them.

14. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Who says that a TS pedal can't sound good with buckers? Get that thought out of your mind immediately :D

I've used TS type pedals with all sorts of amps and guitars and have had no problems. Marshall, Fender Dr Z, Matchless, Strats Tele's, LP's, 355's etc.

A crappy TS pedal with a super nasal midrange is one thing but a good pedal like the Blue Collar, Blues Devil should have no prob.

15. Cary Chilton

Thanks Laroosco.

Does the Red Snapper sound good with buckers too?

BTW HAS ANYONE tried the BLUES DEVIL??
    http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_bluesdevil.html

How gain does it have? Does it compare with anything?
    Tube Zone, Blue boy, Zen Drive, Blue Collar. OCD, Hot cake???
    Any thoughts here?

16. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Red Snapper (from what i remember) has a flatter EQ thing goin on. Sounds great with a lot of different guitars IMO

The Blues Devil is my absolute favorite TS style pedal. It has the mid hump but it's not too much and the pedal isn't processed sounding like a cheap TS.

The Blues Devil has a decent amount of gain IMO, just listen to the clips. The clips can be decieving because we don't know how cranked the amp was before he hit it with tthe pedal. Still the clips are a godd representation of the BD.

All this talking about the BD has me wanting one more than ever.

17. madsr

madsr Member

the red snapper does sound great with humbuckers as well as single coils...I tend to have mine set with a nice mild overdriven tone ala wind cries mary, little wing..and tend to use the strat...the blue collar is a little bit hotter, has more grit, with the les paul I get a real nice classic rock sound and great for "always on the run" tone..or "just got paid"..bad company or thin lizzy type of crunch...

18. Cary Chilton

SO is that unaminous? THe blue collar is hotter (more drive) than the blues devil?

19. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

I use the MI Audio Tube Zone. It has multiple gain stages like an amp and also has a 3-way toggle that switches from flat-mid to scooped-mid to mid-hump.

20. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I know it's very subjective, but how much drive does the Tube Zone have? I'm asking 'cause I'm very interested in that pedal at the moment. Okay I'm GASsing for one. I use TIM and Timmy for the low/med overdrive sounds and I'm needing something to cover the heavy od territory that could reach or almost reach the distortion. It's very difficult to describe the amount of drive but how much does it have, let's say compared to the Tubescreamer or like? In fact I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and order one. Just need a little push to do it. I allow you to cause me a little more GAS over it... :)