• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best middle pickup to go with SSL-1

Josh Jimenez

Greetings TGP! I'm about to upgrade my mij strat with new pups and electronics. I'm set on getting an SSL-1 for the neck and an SSL-5 for the bridge. I was wondering what mid pup would be nice for quack even in gainy settings, varied pickup heights already considered. Actually, would you still recommend a middle pickup change? How do you guys think the SSL-1 and SSL-5 would fare with the stock fender pup? Thanks!

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
I would go with an ssl-1 in the mid as well. The ssl-1 and ssl-5 have a distinct sound and I've found that they don't mix real well with other pickups.

mdrake34

I'd go SSL1 if you want to retain quack. I have a Twang Banger/SSL1/SSL1 in my strat plus, it's a great combo.

WhiskeyTango

+1 on another SSL-1. I have a RW in middle position on a super strat (Squire Stagemaster dlx), and it's a great, distinct tone. Some quack there, and in general, just a pickup I really like the sound of. Seems to handle punk/classic rock gain levels and maintains it's character.

For reference, this is through a VHT 12/20 w/oversized openback 1x12, with and without pedals. Other pickups are stock, but not bad for oem. I think they blend well, with the SSL-1 giving some more variety versus the stock middle pickup. I've considered the 1 and 5 for neck and bridge, but don't dig this guitar out enough to justify it. It's just my FR guitar so I can say I have one and have tried it ;-)

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
+3 on another SSL1 in the middle - that is the same set I put in an EC Strat w/BPSSC and it turned that into an amazing warm, fat strat. Great pickups, just pretend you spent more on them.

Trending Topics