Best mini humbuckers?

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Who makes the best mini humbuckers? I recently bought one the anniversay Epiphone Crestwoods for fairly cheap. I've never owned a guitar with minis previously.

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
Who makes the best mini humbuckers? I recently bought one the anniversay Epiphone Crestwoods for fairly cheap. I've never owned a guitar with minis previously.
I have a set of lollar minis in my Sadowsky semi hollow and they sound great. Kind of like a PAF without the muddy bass frequency of a full size humbucker. I can get really nice cleans and they growl with some drive. I like them better than the full size emperial they make.

Dirtystranger

My Epi Elitist Shearton has great sounding US made Gibson mini-buckers. I've considered changing the pots to bring down the brightness.

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not saying they are the best, but I have an identical Crestwood & I think those pickups are perfect for THAT guitar. They sound excellent with some overdrive & sound wonderful clean. Before you change them, if you haven't already, try adjusting the pickup height. I'm all for modding, but sometimes I have to remind myself that sometimes leaving a guitar as-is is the way to go.
Just a thought...

Tony

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I'll definitely try the stock pickups, but usually hand scatterwound boutiques have more complex tone. Does any pickup maker specialize in these?

Beakertwang

I have a Sweetwood with a set from Roadhouse, a pickup builder out of Portland. I can't tell from their website if they even make them anymore. I don't have a lot of experience with mini hums, but I can't imagine any sound significantly better than this.

gtrgene

Silver Supporting Member
I'll definitely try the stock pickups, but usually hand scatterwound boutiques have more complex tone. Does any pickup maker specialize in these?
Vintage vibe pickups are great. I had a scatter wound unbalanced set from them but I still prefer the lollar.

rambleon

My Sorrento came with the standard Gibson mini-hums that we're ok, I just couldn't get the neck and bridge pickups to balance well no matter how much I adjusted their heights. Do I swapped them out for Gibson pole-less minus. Mind you, these aren't the high output ceramics that come with their firebirds. These were out of a 2016 SG. They have A5 blades and are slightly hotter than the standard minis. These were a good improvement, but I'm currently waiting on the staple mini humbuckers from the Creamery. There aren't any clips because the design is relatively new, but based on their description, I think they should sound good.

Trending Topics