Best Mini Phaser

SemiHollowGuy

Last time I used a phaser was in the 70's and it was a MXR Phase 90. Looking for a phaser now but want a "mini" size for my "mini" pboard. Of course there is the MXR Phase 95 mini but I'm wondering how the Mooer Ninty Orange mini or Donner or Kokko or Timsline or any of the other Amazon found lower-tier no names are.

FWIW I have several of the Amazon no names pedals (Dumbler, Analog Delay, Compressor) and considering not one was over $50 new (and returnable if I didn't like) all do surprisingly well. Clearly ya don't have to spend the BIG $$ to get decent sounding pedals.

Nonetheless if anyone has compared any of these models I'd appreciate the opinion.input.

Thx
Michael

Stratburst70

I would say the MXR Phase 95 is your best bet if you want to go mini. I prefer the EVH Phase 90 but I don’t mind a slightly larger pedal.

Scordare

You are going to get a lot of suggestions for the Phase 95..but I think I'm the only person on TGP that doesn't like it. The waveform seems more like a triangle than a sine wave and that bright ass led is annoying. I went back to using a Mooer Ninety Orange which has a richer sound. I still pull the Phase 95 out once in a while but it always goes back on the shelf. Go for the Mooer, its a great phaser!

realmacaroni

Henretta Engineering does a killer take on the 45 in a 2x2". if you want a subtle set and forget thing, it's a no knobber with internal trimmers. if you want at least rate control outside, he can add i think one knob to that size...

OotMagroot

Phase 95. I like it better than the Mooer Ninety Orange. All of the other china minis are probably a copy of the Mooer, so you might as well just get the 95, lol!

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Can the phase 95 do more of a cool clean, vibe as well? I don't normally use overdrive with vibe / phase (like Hendrix) but do like vibe/rotary type motion on cleans. Right now I'm using a Source Audio Vertigo (trem) which I love, but it would be nice to have more colors to choose from the palette. Plus orange would spice up my board :)

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
You are going to get a lot of suggestions for the Phase 95..but I think I'm the only person on TGP that doesn't like it. The waveform seems more like a triangle than a sine wave and that bright ass led is annoying. I went back to using a Mooer Ninety Orange which has a richer sound. I still pull the Phase 95 out once in a while but it always goes back on the shelf. Go for the Mooer, its a great phaser!
You're not the only one. I could never get the Phase 95 dialed in the way I like. It was either too much or too little. And yeah, the bright ass light was a little wild for me. I'll take a look at the Mooer Ninety Orange.

SemiHollowGuy

Well guys, thx for all the replies. I received the Mooer Orange Ninty a couple of days ago. Fit into pedalboard and gave it a run. For what I want it's great! Particularly at the price point of $50 and free next day shipping on Amazon. FWIW I have several of the el-cheapo pedals one finds on Amazon and actually, they all do REALLY well. Even if you forget about the low price they all sound and perform really well. I'm definitely happy with all of them.

My personal belief is pedal, just like amps are far too often evaluated not just on sound but on price i.e. the more ya pay the better the pedal/amp is. I play an Ibanez AM93 (completely stock) into an 80's vintage Yamaha G50-112 w/EVM 12. There are guys that have played my gear and could swear they're playing a tube amp. For that matter I've never really understood how guitar players (more often than not) absolutely will not play anything other than a tube amp and then, to get that "special" tone they're seeking dive deep into solid-state pedals. Doesn't anyone else here see the contradiction and lunacy in that? Or am I the only one?

Anyway, thx again guys. I appreciate your thoughts.

Junco Partner

Well guys, thx for all the replies. I received the Mooer Orange Ninty a couple of days ago. Fit into pedalboard and gave it a run. For what I want it's great! Particularly at the price point of $50 and free next day shipping on Amazon. FWIW I have several of the el-cheapo pedals one finds on Amazon and actually, they all do REALLY well. Even if you forget about the low price they all sound and perform really well. I'm definitely happy with all of them.

My personal belief is pedal, just like amps are far too often evaluated not just on sound but on price i.e. the more ya pay the better the pedal/amp is. I play an Ibanez AM93 (completely stock) into an 80's vintage Yamaha G50-112 w/EVM 12. There are guys that have played my gear and could swear they're playing a tube amp. For that matter I've never really understood how guitar players (more often than not) absolutely will not play anything other than a tube amp and then, to get that "special" tone they're seeking dive deep into solid-state pedals. Doesn't anyone else here see the contradiction and lunacy in that? Or am I the only one?

Anyway, thx again guys. I appreciate your thoughts.
Guitarists in general gravitate to classic tones from their favorite bands/records. Tube amps and solid state pedals are mostly responsible for those tones. Aside from the Tube Driver design and its handful of variants, there aren’t a lot of tube-based pedals that can be considered widely used classics. In extreme cases, some people insist on their tube powered spring tanks and tape echoes, I guess? I don’t think people who prefer tube amps are blindly thinking “tubes make everything better” and then completely forgetting about their pedals, rather, they seek the interaction between those tried and true bits of gear that help them nail the sounds of their heroes, or the tones in their heads or whatever. I don’t see anything contradictory or loony about that. The tube vs solid state argument in the amp world is kinda reflected in the pedal world, we just agonize over analog vs digital instead. :confused:

Junco Partner

Also, phase 95 is pretty great. Until someone else steps up to the plate with something truly game changing, it will continue to be the most popular reply in nearly every phaser thread. (Would it kill somebody to put out a mini with some depth-mix-resonance knobs ffs? Maybe a step or envelope mode?)

Trending Topics