• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Best modeler for Vox AC30 sound

timbuck2

I have a Fender Mustang GTX100, a Line 6 POD HD300 and a Vox Tonelab (desktop unit). Wondering if there's a modeler better than the Tonelab, as the GTX100 doesn't sound much like a Vox. Don't really want to lug the POD around, and it doesn't sound better than the Tonelab to my ears on AC30 emulation. Possibly the new POD Go, which I kicked around before buying the Mustang GTX100. Other than the Vox emulation, I like the sound of the Mustang overall. Open to all suggestions...smaller and cheaper is better for me!
just use your tonelab.

RGB

Silver Supporting Member
@RGB So a Matchless sim is better at replicating The AC30 than the AC30 sim?

I need to research matchless more
I prefer the Matchless to the AC30 in the 11R for Vox type tones, but I'm not looking to replicate an AC30 as much as I'm just using an EL84/vox flavored tone that works great for me.

Kemper. I used one for an all-Queen show series right before Covid hit, and it nailed it. The only thing better would have been a real AC30 wide open....and that would be LOUD.

Bach1970

Silver Supporting Member
Doug from Doug and Pat show just announced that Kemper profiles oh his infamous AC 10 SRT are available.
Loaded them Last night and just checking them in the headphones they can definitely stand up to my best VOX profiles from Michael Britt or Tone junkie(66 AC 30)

LolainNB

Doug from Doug and Pat show just announced that Kemper profiles oh his infamous AC 10 SRT are available.
Loaded them Last night and just checking them in the headphones they can definitely stand up to my best VOX profiles from Michael Britt or Tone junkie(66 AC 30)
Infamous?

Troglite

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of the modeler used... the York Audio Vox and Matchless IR packs are stellar. HIGHLY recommended. The Vox AC30 and 15 cabs are different enough to easily warrant owning both. Matchless is unusually accurate as they mic'd both speakers discretely. They give you separate IR's as well as a set of very good mixes.

Prices are going up in a few weeks, so get them for 25% less while you can!

porcytree

I think the Diamond Amp in the Boss GT 1000 is a pretty good AC30 sim.
Dunno if it's accurate or not but it's certainly has that AC30 vibe....particularly with single coil guitars.

dk_ace

On a budget, pod go. The Essex A30 model is fantastic, after many years with vox amps it’s one of the first to really capture the low to mid gain AC tones for me (using a helix floor). I slightly preferred it to the FM3 I tested a few weeks ago.

Definitely get a good IR for it as well as the others suggested.

As to matchless models, they’re inspired by vox but not the same thing. I like them both, but when you want the vox signature I’d use a vox model.

D

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I know some guys dislike the Vox models in the Helix, but I like the Essex model and use it quite a bit. I find the Top Boost model in the old Avid Eleven Rack to be excellent as well, if you’re on a budget. You can find an Eleven Rack used all day long for $250.
My favorite amp in my 11 Rack.. see , I do like some digital gear

electrolyte

Gold Supporting Member
This... Not to mention, the Matchbox DC-30 model in the Eleven Rack is really good as well. An 11R with an FCB1010 and you are less than $400.
The Matchbox in the HX Stomp which I think is modeled on the DC-30 is also a winner IMO, season to taste.

planetasur

I use exclusively the AC30 Fawn model from my Line6 HX Stomp, and I'm using it just for everything, gigging, recording, practicing... Sounds like a real AC30? Nooo, but that's not the idea!!!, sounds like an AC30 recorded with a mic and heared by studio monitors, or frfr or headphones, and is there where a HELIX, or an axe, Kemper, etc., can sound the same but with more flexibility and possibilities.
It doesn't mind if you use an helix (floor, lt, Stomp or Go), or other modeler, the differences are in the workflow, support, updates, UI,... the sound and feels are near identical if you expend time to learn.

rublalup

I use exclusively the AC30 Fawn model from my Line6 HX Stomp, and I'm using it just for everything, gigging, recording, practicing... Sounds like a real AC30? Nooo, but that's not the idea!!!, sounds like an AC30 recorded with a mic and heared by studio monitors, or frfr or headphones, and is there where a HELIX, or an axe, Kemper, etc., can sound the same but with more flexibility and possibilities.
It doesn't mind if you use an helix (floor, lt, Stomp or Go), or other modeler, the differences are in the workflow, support, updates, UI,... the sound and feels are near identical if you expend time to learn.
I would really like to be able to stick with this approach. I'm kind of commited with the jtm45 model on my fm3 atm... but after reading this thread I went to try the ac30 # 2 of the AB livegold pack and its so wonderful I just can't ignore it. With so many great sounding amps I can try to at least stay on one model a day I guess... good problemas

dk_ace

I would really like to be able to stick with this approach. I'm kind of commited with the jtm45 model on my fm3 atm... but after reading this thread I went to try the ac30 # 2 of the AB livegold pack and its so wonderful I just can't ignore it. With so many great sounding amps I can try to at least stay on one model a day I guess... good problemas
I’ve stuck with the Brit Trem model almost exclusively for over a year (the JTM45 in FM3 is very similar to it - I compared them a few weeks ago). I started trying some other amp models, and it’s a lot of fun. I forgot how much I enjoyed that vox chime and upper mids. I also forgot how much I enjoyed great fender clean sounds. Live, I’ll probably stick with one amp model most of the time as it simplifies things. But at home, I’ll be using more models now I enjoyed them more than I realized.

D

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
@RGB So a Matchless sim is better at replicating The AC30 than the AC30 sim?

I need to research matchless more
The Matchless DC30 is essentially a boutique version of the AC30. In the helix my favorite "Vox" is the Matchstick Ch1. I find the Vox models are either way too bright or way too dark. The matchless is just right and it takes pedals in front of it really well. Plenty of chime when clean with the right amount of mid range honk and it sounds great as you turn up the gain. Not really a fan of Ch. 2. its too dark with too much gain.

Trending Topics