Best modeling amp for under $500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StudioRat320, Mar 8, 2013.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

My nephew is 16 and looking for an amp that can give him a variety of sounds. I suggested a modeling amp since he has such a small amount of cash and can't get into a nice tube amp and pedals right now.

He plays a late 80's Hamer Chapparel (gift from me on his b-day) SSH configuration. Yamaha Pacifica and a Ibanez ART100.

His tastes vary and include jazzy cleans, Gilmour type spacey fx and 70 rock to dropped metal.

Please help me out or I'm gonna have to give him one of my prized tube amps and buy the kid some pedals. (lil sis is on my back):peenut

Thanks....

2. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Roland Cube. You can get the Cube 60s (my favorite) for $200 used, but even the Cube 80XL - the biggest of the series? - are only $400 new. Models very good and function, reasonably tube-ish in response to volume and gain adjustments. Reverb is very useable. Good at low, home volumes, and very gig-able too (I use mine out often). ... I played an impressive little Fender modeling amp a few years ago but I've forgotten the name.

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

Why not post in the modeling forum?

4. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Peavey Vypyr 75 @<$300 new. Huge variety of sounds!

5. Robbgnarly

Robbgnarly Member

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60($250ish used)
    Line 6 Flextone III ($200ish used)
    Line 6 Vetta 2x12 ($400ish used)
    Fender Cyber Twin

6. tuckman-lp100

tuckman-lp100 Member

Why not try a fender mustang or the mustang multi-effects pedal? Also they range from round $100-$300 for combos. Also i second the Peavey Vypyr series, and im not sure bout the Roland cube.

7. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

My Roland Cube 40xl arrived today. Needed a grab-n-go that was affordable, light and versatile. It's louder than I thought it would be, but does low volume well. I'm happy. Maybe you should take a look. The on-board efx will save you a ton of $$$ in pedals.

8. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Peavey Transformer (used). Better than the Vyper.
    Roland Cube 80XL
    Vox VT80+
    Rocktron Replitone (used)
    Johnson Marquis JM60 (used)
    Hughes and Kettner Matrix
    Fender Cyber Deluxe (used)
    Line 6 Flextone series

Plenty of options out there for sure however, a Bugera V22 isn't much more than any of the above and it's a nice tube amp. Find one of those and a used Zoom G1 and he'll be quite happy.

9. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

As you might have taken note so far - $500 in the digital/modeling realm can be stretched QUITE FAR!

You might take some interest in one of my recent threads - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1120278&highlight=bang+buck

$500.

Line 6 has the Vetta, DuoVerb, Flextone III, and Spider IV amps that will all be well within the budget constraints.

The Fender Mustang III has recently came back into my radar & can be had BRAND NEW under your budget.

Peavey Vypyr's are very cool, and the new Vypyr VIP line looks extremely interesting..

I've got a Roland Cube Bass 100 that I absolutely love, so I'm sure their guitar counterparts are just as great.

Important note about your 16 yr old nephew, some of the big boy modelers can be tricky to dial in... so, take note of whether or not he'll want miles of options/tweak fest - OR, if he's more of a less-is-more guy. Do a lil research & wade through the Digital & Modeling forum here. Lots of info, opinions, warranty information, updates, etc... I have no doubt that for $500 you can find all the "jazzy cleans, Gilmour type spacey fx and 70 rock to dropped metal" you'll want, and a footswitch to control it too!

Also depends a lot on his volume needs.... *I've own/ed Vetta, DuoVerb, SuperChamp XD, POD, Roland Bass Cube 100, and had a brief stint with a Spider IV.

10. thomasglide

thomasglide Member

I have a Yamaha THR10, pretty good range of tones. But my VOX VT40+ kills it for variety of tones, volume control from bedroom level to 100+ people dive bar gig. Played with a VOX Mini3. Not huge volume, but great tones, terrific practice amp.

11. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Super Champ XD or X2. It even has tOoBz!

12. john l

john l Supporting Member

Its funny as hell because they go for next to nothing but.... One of the best modelers Ive ever played was one of Line 6's first offerings called the AX2. I think it only came in a 2x12 combo.

13. snazzymuffin

snazzymuffin Member

Blackstar ID all the way, not only the best digital amp I've played but its my favorite amp period. Extremely versatile and you can get the 30w for $400. I just got the 60w and am extremely pleased!

14. Miles

Miles Member

Roland Cube 80XL.

Great for clubs, home, and cutting demos loudly or silently. Cleans and gain all sound awesome. Very satisfying tones. Speaker out sounds HUGE through a bigger cab if needed. Built in tuner, just about any effect you need, lots of voicings and great EQ control.

GREAT amp.

15. cereal

cereal Member

Good call. It's a great pedal platform as well.

16. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

The new Blackstar ID amps will be out any day now. Personally I can't wait!

17. Quackhead

Quackhead Member

I am new here and to the gear being discussed..I got into it trying to have a common bond with my daughter, who got her first guitar a couple of yrs ago. Tone can become very addicting, as playing ability progresses. I have bought, sold and traded various guitars and amps in the last 2 yrs.

For a 16 yr old with those tastes, My number 1 pick would be the 100 watt Fender Frontman 212R. I know it is not a "modelling amp", but Sir, I can assure you this, there is not much better tone to be had in the clean channel dept..and with the foot switchable drive/more drive, it can get nasty.
    I am thinking with a tube driver pedal and the ability to make your ears bleed...I regret selling mine.

I have owned the Line 6 spider III 15w 1/8, spider IV 30 watt 1/12, and the pod through the aforementioned Frontman 212. I do not care for the digitized sound the Line 6 modelling equipment produced.
    My current study rig is the Blackheart little giant 5w/ 112 cab and a T-REX yellow drive...I love it.
    Good luck!

18. Promit

Promit Member

Personally I'm not too fond of the sounds that Line 6 equipment makes. Always sounds very harsh and 'digital'. Heck, when people talk about digital sound I think they mean Line 6.

My vote goes to the SuperChamp or the Vox Valvetronix.

19. Blindjoedeath

Blindjoedeath Member

Another thumbs up for the Fender Champ XD. In addition to the modeling channel, you get a classic Fender clean channel as well. That's worth the price of admission right there. Takes pedals like a champ, no pun intended.

It looks like an amp, too, and not like 747 cockpit.

They're about $300 brand new. Used are cheap!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  20. carrier street

carrier street Supporting Member

Vetta II's can be had for that kind of money. If he's looking to spend to the top of his budget, I think that's the best option.

For cheap and awesome, the Vox vt40+ is the best out there. You can find them for less than $100.