best modeling amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by medicsteve, Apr 3, 2008.

1. medicsteve

medicsteve Member

I have marshall, splawn, dual rect, all 100 watters, but want something easy to take to small gigs w/o my huge pedal board. I know the hatred of modelers so please don't respond if you just wanna wack me thanks steve

2. Sleepo

Sleepo Member

I've never gigged a Cube personally, but i've heard good things.
    I have a VoxAD50 which i use for band practices, and I have gigged it a few times.

Some people go Pod into PA. Or Pod with a poweramp into a cab, or Pod active PA speaker.

3. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

4. ?&!

?&! Member

I had a Line 6 Flextone2 combo with an EV for a while, and I used it for small gigs without a pedalboard. If you are willing to dive in and design your pre-sets, that amp and footcontroller would be pretty much all you need in those situations. Does it feel like you're actually playing the amps you are modelling? No. Will 99% of the audience know the difference? Absolutely NOT. I've seen these things go for as low as $150 on Craigslist, so it wouldn't be too painful to check out. Good luck!!!

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

The Cube 60 is a fun amp.

If you are looking for adventure, try the Fractal Axe-FX that people are raving about. Go direct to the board, etc.

Evan.

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Spider valve plus foot controller?

The Valvetronix series are decent sounding, the effects aren't tweak able, but they get the job done for the most part. Unless you need a trem and a delay and a compressor on at the same time. They also don't have a tuner, so you will need one to gig with.

The Vox modeling pedals have the same technology as the Valvetronix, but have more foot switchable options. You could run this into a Powered monitor, and have a decent sounding portable rig.

Axe FX seems to be the best option, but its expensive and requires a wait. So this may or may not be an option for you.

Good Luck,

dk

7. drgonzoguitar

drgonzoguitar Member

8. bcjames

bcjames Member

How about one of the floor based modellers, if you have access to a PA system. Thats how I run my back up rig live.

9. Lopp

Lopp Member

Wow. I can't believe a Cube was brought up as a "best" modeling amp. Granted it is a fun little amp (I own one), but it is hardly in the "best" category, at least in term of tone and ability to model other amps. Similarly the Cyber Twin is good for Fender tones, but hardly does a good job with Recto tones.

IMHO, the Axe-Fx will do an incredible job.

Caveat, I own one... and also own a Boss GT-8, a Pod, a Digitech GSP1101, some Tech21 SansAmps, and a ton of Mesa amps. That being said, the Axe-Fx is likely the (subjectively) "best" modeling amp in terms of sound quality. And yes, it is expensive and even more expensive if you want to buy it now in the U.S. without the wait.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Yamaha DG 80, OOP but a killer amp.

11. Miles

Miles Member

H&K Zentera...awesome in a combo amp package.

Other than that, I'd look at Fractal Audio for DI stuff

12. Electric I

Electric I Member

Don't overlook the fender super champ xd.

It has a tube power amp (like the spider valve), but less wattage, so you get those 6v6s juicin' harder.

13. slegros

slegros Member

Now discontinued but I was REALLY impressed by a Vox AD60VTX. It was also relatively lightweight so would be easy to tote around.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

Or ... why not go for a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade? It's not a modeller, but does give you 4 channels (tube power and preamp), built in digital effects and 128 programmable presets. Just not sure if you are asking about modellers because you want modelled tone, or because the modeller amps come with a load of effects/alternative tones in one bite-sized package, or because they can go direct to PA ...

15. The Birdman

The Birdman Member

I bought a used Vox AD60VT a couple of months ago....I have both the Roland Cube 20X and Cube 30, and it is better than either of them. And it isn't because they are BAD....the Vox is that good.

I'd check out the Vox AD50VT, since the AD60VT is discontinued.....

Roger

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I purchased an Axe-Fx a couple months ago.

I wound up selling it, but I think it's hands down the best non-tube amp I've ever heard or played through, heads and shoulders above everything else I've tried. I'm kind of waiting for a version with some knobs on the outside, or maybe I'm just waiting for myself to feel more comfortable with a menu-driven rig.

I'm very very impressed with the Axe-Fx. For gigs, I don't know how much 'bother' you'd be saving using a modeling amp over your current rig, because you still need a speaker cab and a power amp and a pedalboard to effectively gig if you have a modeler. The pedalboard is smaller, and the rack a little smaller too (since the Axe-Fx has great built in effects, so just the Axe-Fx and a power amp), and I guess it's lighter and maybe a bit faster to set up too. Hmmm, maybe it would be easier ...

That's my take, Dana O.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'm not too impressed with the new Boss GT10 ....

18. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

For me it's been the Axe-FX for over a year, I've also owned the Vetta, and the H&K Zenterra but never really gigged with them and sold them, the only digital unit I've ever used live is the Axe - Fx, it really works well for me direct to PA.

19. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i'm with this guy. i used to run a boss gt3 direct to a board for smaller stuff like church performances and really small shows. it worked out pretty good. they take some work right out the box, but you'll catch on.

better than lugging amps, especially ones that'll disappoint. line 6 is decent but nothing compared to your other gear.

20. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

i totally forgot!!! haha, atomic reactor 18 and a pod, pod xt or vox tonelab. these all workout great and sound way better than the new spider valves.