Best modeling combo for warm and non-digital tones

Scott Peterson

Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP
Staff member
Peavey Vyper impressed me as far as value for the money.

I've only monkey'ed with one in stores for a few minutes based on the discussion around these parts; but for the money, I cannot see a better value. Really easy to dial in and the tones were very good. Never gigged one or heard one with a band, but they are worth a look and listen. Put it on your list to check out.

jzucker

Supporting Member
the best digital modelling amp is the Yamaha DG-80 or DG-100.

lots of pro's used them, including Alan Holdsworth.

they are the best sounding and feeling modelling amps out there.

the cleans are warm and 3D sounding.

they are long discontinued, but they are real work horses.
I wouldn't recommend buying anything used/discontinued that has motorized knobs.

solitaire

If you're looking at modelling amps for the sake of versatility rather than not being compatible with valves, I'd recommend you to look into Randall's MTS series of amps. Can't beat the tone and feel of these modular amps, in my opinion, since these run real valves through-out the signal chain, yet can be configured to sound anywhere from Tweed cleans to high-gain Nu-metal depending on the modules installed. Needless to say, I'm a fan! :D

Noah

Silver Supporting Member
I'd vote for the early blue Vox Valvetronix amps. I used the combo I had for many practices and it was fantastic.

jzucker

Supporting Member
That's right?!?...Peavey. Their amplitube software is head and shoulders above anything else and it's likely the same algorithms.

takakat

You mean the Cyber series? A lot of people really like those. For your serious note, check out a Cyber-Champ. You can get them for around $200-250 all day long, nice practice amp with some more than decent tones.
It is not just a practice amp I use Cyber Champ for gigs and it is very loud.

Peppy

I'd vote for the early blue Vox Valvetronix amps. I used the combo I had for many practices and it was fantastic.
What I suggested early on page 1 of the thread. However, not only just for practices...I gigged my 120 (2 X 12" combo, two tubes) many, many times.

Jack Dotson

Supporting Member
I've owned the Vox AD-60VT, AD-60VTX, AD-50VT and the SCXD. Wish I still had the AD-60VTX followed by the VT and then the SCXD. If the SCXD came with a decent 12' speaker it might be a different story.

Jerryr

The Roland Cube 60 has a pretty strong following. I have one and love it. Either the Roland or a Tech-21 Trademark 60. If one of those don't work for you then you really want a Tube Amp :huh

BozoTone

Looking for a versatile warm sounding modeling combo (2x12 or 1x12). What are my options? quote]
I am going to suggest two amps (already brought up in this thread) because each do something better than the other.
The Super Champ XD does the Blackface and hi-gain thang very well. It responds to speaker changes (either to another 10" or 12"), tube changes, especially to JJ 6V6's and to amp biasing.
The original "Blue series" Vox AD60VT and AD120VT do the Vox's and Fender Tweeds. I like the built in stomp boxes and parameter control over the delays, reverbs and modulation. These amps were set up more for gigging volume vs. the bedroom.
I have both the Super Champ and the AD60VT. The SCXD has an Eminence Lil' Buddy speaker, a Telefunkin 12AX7 and JJ 6V6's biased a bit warm. This thing sounds wonderful thru the pair of Scumback SA12 M75's. My AD60VT is first year production, #000359. I'll tell ya how stupid I am. I just installed a Celestion Gold. Let me tell you boys and girls, it sounds STUNNING. The Boutique Clean is just about the best clean sound I have got out of an amp. The Vox's (AC15/AC30/AC15TB/AC30TB) are so very close to its' full-on tube brothers. The Tweeds, both 1X12 and 4X10, are not totally acurate to the real deals, are a blast to play...And you wonder why they call me BozoTone.....
BZT

Last edited:

cjcayea

cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce
i have a 100 watt valvetronix, about 5 years old. great clean tone.

pretty bad distortion, though.

CitizenCain

i have a 100 watt valvetronix, about 5 years old. great clean tone.

pretty bad distortion, though.

Those AD series Valvetronix have the Valve Reactor setup as a starved plate design, whereas the original Blue Series amps (and the Tonelabs) run the tube at high-voltage. Over at the Valvetronix forum they claim it makes a difference.

geng

Early-version VOX Valvetronix 120.
Yes the blue one (blue basket weave grill cloth), Vox Valvetronix AD120VT or VTX. I have two gigging amp, Vox Valvetronic AD120VT and Mesa Lonestar Classic - both great amp, the Mesa is better sounding in terms of clean but the Vox also sounds great - and it's very versatile and musical, with all the features I need for gigging, without bring the pedalboard with me. Great chorus, tremolos and delays, the marshall and fender models are great - I mainly use UK´70 (marshall plexi) for clean (and it's a great clean) and UK'80 or UK´90 or Dumble kind of leads.

In comparison the new Valvetronix is long ahead.

lettucecheese

I've got two Vox AD60VTX's that I'll sell for pretty cheap. They are the best modelers I've found. Here's the deal though - if you play out regularly and use the footswitch (which I'll sell too), you can count on them to cut out at some point. It's inherit in these amps, and I just can't rely on them anymore.

So, if you don't play out much, or don't need to use the footpedals much, this could be the perfect amp for you.

bluesking55

Supporting Member
Ive had a couple VOX valvetronics and thet sounded ok, I now how a Super Champ XD and it sounds very cool, solid state preamp and tube power section, very cool amp, i use it at home and at church, has a line out also

Best modeler Ive found is the digitech rp 500