Best modern rendition of a Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Alfi27, Sep 21, 2019.

1. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

2. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking for LP tone and a guitar that *looks* like a LP, Corsa is probably your best bet without breaking the bank. Fantastic guitars with a Peter Green option if you want it, all without breaking the bank.

highwaystar30 likes this.
  3. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

4. Roark

Roark Member

Heritage?

Ashareth and bubbagump_j like this.
  5. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

This thread is great. OP is worried about his LP snapping in two if he brings it outside and half of the recommendations here are for $5k to $10k models. I'm sure he wouldn't fret over those...

Never change, TGP.

6. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Not even the same scale.

7. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Aria Pro II PE and/or a Washburn L20E Parallaxe

rauchman likes this.
  8. agquake

agquake Supporting Member

An SG is not the same scale as a Les Paul?

9. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

It is, don’t know what I was thinking. I even owned one.

10. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Collings CL - Incredible!
    Bartlett Retrospec
    Baker
    Veritas Portlander (with right woods)
    Knaggs Kenai or SSC
    McInturf
    Suhr Aria
    Schroeder Radio Lane

Lots of small builders have improved upon the LP design.

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

The PRS should have more wood at the headstock joint because of the different style truss rod head used. It carves out less wood. And since the headstock angle is less as well, you get significantly more wood at the critical Gibson break point.

That said, if you're not into the weight of an LP, I wouldn't suggest an instrument that resembles one. If it were me, I'd look at something like the Reverend Bob Balch sig or Sensei. The Balch is an SG type and the Sensei gives it a maple top and some Fenderesque contours. But they're still double humbucker instruments with a 24.75" scale. And the korina is nice and light.

Personally, my favorite LP-alike is a 1980 Ibanez AR-50. It's an incredible backup to my PRS Custom 24. But it's 9+ pounds and that's not a solution for you.

12. highwaystar30

highwaystar30 Member

Anybody with experience with non-custom shop Japanese Eclipses? the 'full thickness' version in particular, have a local one listed, which is pretty rare.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  13. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Kauer Starliner or McNaught VSC. Starliner is more like tele-on-steroids Les Paul and VSC is more like a maple-topped Les Paul Custom.

14. LaXu

LaXu Member

There are tons of guitars that are in the ballpark but are visually different. Ibanez Artist, Yamaha Revstar etc.

If you want a more singlecut modern take I'd probably start with the ESP/LTD EC-1000. They are a little bit thinner body than LPs but I really liked the model I tried some time ago with Seymour Duncans. Sounded like a LP to me and not too expensive.

15. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

16. dspellman

dspellman Member

One that really works for me is the Agile AL-3200. Neck-through construction (five-piece neck), full thickness maple cap, carved neck/body transition ala the Axcess, tummy cut, compound radius, upgraded bridge and nut. And a $499 price tag.

Another that works for me is a custom built by Agile -- I have a neck-through build with a one-piece back (the neck is laid into a channel cut into the body), full figured maple cap, ebony fretboard, 16" radius, jumbo frets, Floyd Rose, 1 3/4" nut width, wide/thin neck profile. This guitar has a hot '57 in the bridge, a DiMarzio Fast Track II in the neck, a fernandes sustainer, a buckethead-style kill switch, a Chandler Tone-X (sweepable active mids boost of 16 dB) on a push pull, and a sustainer intensity pot as well as a master volume and treble rolloff.

17. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

Just love the LP for what it is. You have one under 8.8 lbs? That's pretty light man, shouldn't be an issue with a good strap unless you have a injury/disability.

I never knew so many people had headstock anxiety until I started hanging around guitar forums. Don't drop your guitar, it won't break, simple. If it does, get it fixed and move on with life.

As for modern LPs, lots out there depending on your tastes. I like 594s, have you tried one? Most LP style guitars have their own thing going on, if you want it to sound exactly like a Gibson, it's going to have the same weight and headstock issues as a Gibson.

gibletpie and bikerdude2 like this.
  18. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

The Eastman SB59 looks like a nice alternative. They offer several pickup and hardware options at a decent price point.

Ed

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I found this to be true for me as well.
    My modern Les Paul is a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Pro, with coil taps, and an out of phase dial.
    While I don't use them very much, it is a modern Les Paul.

Also, a Gibson Modern Double Cutaway would also fall into this category, and has an Apex headstock for those worried about a broken head stock.

I read the OP's post, but if you want a LP tone, you want an LP. Others do come close, but I have not found any that are exactly like an LP. To me, it's like someone asking for an amp that sounds like a Marshall, but is something else. Others do come close, but only a Marshall sounds exactly like a Marshall.

As for the head stock issue, unless you are careless, you should have no problems.

bikerdude2 likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Member

The exaggeration must be true, many guitar techs have stayed in business over the years only because they had headstocks to repair. Only takes a kid or a dog to knock them over, even inside a case, and they snap off. If you've never broken one, or accidentally bought one a seller hid the repair, then lucky you.

OP: If you want the Gibson tone, you only need the Gibson pickups and Gibson pots+caps. Get that set and then you can install in any guitar you want, adjust the pickup heights and start playing. Even a new Harley Benton or an HH Telecaster with that set of pickups and electronics will do what you want. Remember that EVH used a Gibson pickup in a Fender Strat body/woods if you need celebrity endorsement of that working. Find a guitar with the TOM bridge so you get the palm-rest position and you have the ergonomics covered. Get an old abused cheap LP-shaped-guitar from any era/import brand and get the fretwork, upgraded tuners, and so on and you're good to go for a cheap durable chassis.

An Epiphone Special LP is a fun little guitar with that kind of upgrade, super light, I think the one I have is 6lbs. Neck carve feels like playing my Tele.

PRS SE and S2 use scarf jointed necks to avoid the headstock issue. PRS Core has the one-piece neck like Gibson but at a lower headstock angle and different truss rod so there is more strength but I still shy away from the Core models. I have several SEs and they work well.

24 fret guitars push the neck pickup back toward the bridge giving those 'more mids' tones of an SG vs a 22 fret style LP (so watch which PRS fret number you chase). Since it's easy to do if you've had a Strat, the pickups are the same neck and middle winding and magnets but switching from one to the other is a big change in tone, same with LP to SG, all due to pickup placement.

ptgold likes this.